35 weeks military hospital I'm actually a virgin Due June 9; 1 child; Oregon 18466 posts
10th Dec '12

My friend is 35 weeks 4 days and has been having constant contractions 3-5 minutes apart for 24 hours. He husband is in the military and she lives on base, the doctor on base keeps sending her home and refuses to stop labor. She says they won't admit her until she is 4-5 centimeters or her water breaks, but her husband is on duty and she has two other kids. She is in a lot of pain. She was told of she sees a doctor off base they'll send her back to th e navy hospital. Is there anything she can do? I know for me I was transferred to a hospital with a nicu at 35w 5d because my son was too early.

khigh 1 child; Fort Sill, Oklahoma 8101 posts
10th Dec '12

They will do exactly what they are doing. Military hospitals suck.

I'm actually a virgin Due June 9; 1 child; Oregon 18466 posts
10th Dec '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting khigh:</b>" They will do exactly what they are doing. Military hospitals suck."</blockquote>

My question is can she go somewhere else?

Harlow'sMommy:[ARMY]. Due January 27; 1 child; Fort Lee, Virginia 1162 posts
10th Dec '12

My husband is in the Army. And i never entertained the Hospital on our installation. I went off post and i delivered off post. If it's that bad, i'd tell her to go to another hospital, they CANNOT refuse her treatment. Especially since she holds insurance through the United States Military. IMO, installation hospitals are a friggin' joke. I went into labor at 26 weeks because i had an infection, they told me i was having BH and had a cold, sent me home with tylenol and an order for my husband to be given two days off work to keep me on bedrest until i recovered. I got to the off post ER and i was already contracting a minute apart and they weren't sure they'd be able to stop my labor. They did, but that's not the point. I would seriously advise her to see another hospital.

Harlow'sMommy:[ARMY]. Due January 27; 1 child; Fort Lee, Virginia 1162 posts
10th Dec '12

And holy hell YES she can go somewhere else. Every hospital in the country accepts TriCare and are not allowed to refuse.

Fusselinchen 2 kids; 2 angel babies; Fort Bragg, NC, United States 16176 posts
10th Dec '12
Quoting P.S I'm pregnant ♥:" My friend is 35 weeks 4 days and has been having constant contractions 3-5 minutes apart for 24 hours. ... [snip!] ... Is there anything she can do? I know for me I was transferred to a hospital with a nicu at 35w 5d because my son was too early."

if the clinic is equipped to handle a baby with possible breathing problems then i dont see what is wrong with this.
she is almost 36 weeks. my military clinic didnt stop labor and accepted laboring woman at 34 weeks.
there is just no point for them to admit her if she isnt progressing enough yet.
i get that the pain sucks, but there isnt really much they can do. or that most other hospital would do. at least i dont think so

Sarah ♥ K&K 2 kids; 2 angel babies; Oceanside, CA, United States 112488 posts
10th Dec '12
Quoting P.S I'm pregnant ♥:" <blockquote><b>Quoting khigh:</b>" They will do exactly what they are doing. Military hospitals suck."</blockquote> My question is can she go somewhere else?"

She can try but if shes not really in labor they'll send her home too. If she goes off base when shes assigned to be seen on base tricare may refuse to pay her bills.

GoldenGirls 1 child; North Carolina 1225 posts
10th Dec '12

My naval hospital told me if I went into labor before 37 wks, they would stop it.

I think she needs to go see another doctor. They cannot deny her care, but, tricare may refuse her claim.

Sarah ♥ K&K 2 kids; 2 angel babies; Oceanside, CA, United States 112488 posts
10th Dec '12
Quoting Harlow'sMommy:[ARMY].:" And holy hell YES she can go somewhere else. Every hospital in the country accepts TriCare and are not allowed to refuse."

Thats a lie. If shes assigned to the base and the base has the closest hospital they can refuse to pay her bill. Not all hospitals accept tricare either.

10th Dec '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting ♡Sarah♡ + 2:</b>" She can try but if shes not really in labor they'll send her home too. If she goes off base when shes assigned to be seen on base tricare may refuse to pay her bills."</blockquote>

Her contractions have been constant for 24 hours.

J+D=4 4 kids; Beverly Hills, California 14683 posts
10th Dec '12
Quoting ♡Sarah♡ + 2:" Thats a lie. If shes assigned to the base and the base has the closest hospital they can refuse to pay her bill. Not all hospitals accept tricare either."

this.. not all hospitals take tricare. if it is that bad she can all tricare and see where she can get referred

Andi+Andy=Marley+1 2 kids; Fredericksburg, Virginia 4564 posts
10th Dec '12

Another hospital will take her if she takes an ambulance (i had a friend call an ambulance when she was in labor and they took her to the closest hospital...it wasn't military. However that hospital would not have taken her if she hadn't arrived by ambulance). Maybe your friend can do that? Plus, if she's in Active labor her husband should not be on duty.

J+D=4 4 kids; Beverly Hills, California 14683 posts
10th Dec '12
Quoting Andi+Andy=Marley+1:" Another hospital will take her if she takes an ambulance (i had a friend call an ambulance when she was ... [snip!] ... hadn't arrived by ambulance). Maybe your friend can do that? Plus, if she's in Active labor her husband should not be on duty."

that doesn't mean tricare will pay tho, will it?

10th Dec '12

Thank you all.

Andi+Andy=Marley+1 2 kids; Fredericksburg, Virginia 4564 posts
10th Dec '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting J+D=4:</b>" that doesn't mean tricare will pay tho, will it? "</blockquote>

In a case like that yes they will because it's considered an emergency and tricare will pay for an emergency at any hospital that will take them.