10 month old biting... WV Momma+2 girls :) Due February 8; 2 kids; West Virginia 2119 posts
17th Dec '12

DD will be 10 months on the 22nd. She has 6 teeth and she likes to use them. Particularly on the 10 month old little boy I babysit. I've caught her trying to bite him in the face, hands, arms. Today she bit his finger so hard it almost brought blood. That's the only time she's got him so far, but I don't know what to do about it. I tell her no no over and over. I would personally be pretty pissed if I took my kid to a babysitter and their kid bit mine, so I want her to stop. Any advice?

TashaMorgan 2 kids; Ladysmith, British Columbia 1831 posts
17th Dec '12

Does anyone pretend to bite her, nibble on her toes or fingers, or anything like that? She may think it's okay. Other than stopping those things redirection is about the only thing that she will understand at this age. Time outs and other methods won't make sense to her yet. I don't recommend it but a friend of mine wound up flicking her daughter in the mouth to break the habit. She got to the point where she would see one particular child and she would bite her so badly she would break the skin evey time to cause her to bleed. She once tried to take a chunk out of her arm.

WV Momma+2 girls :) Due February 8; 2 kids; West Virginia 2119 posts
17th Dec '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting TashaMorgan:</b>" Does anyone pretend to bite her, nibble on her toes or fingers, or anything like that? She may think ... [snip!] ... bite her so badly she would break the skin evey time to cause her to bleed. She once tried to take a chunk out of her arm."</blockquote>

No, no one has ever played with her like that to my knowledge. I'll just have to keep redirecting her because I could never flick her or anything like that.

Jessica Fili 1 child; Sanford, Maine 697 posts
17th Dec '12

my son is going to be 11m on the 27th he bites me and my step mom sometimes...but he doesnt bite when he nurses lol ...however when he does this i stop him from whatever else hes doing say no firmly then give him a teething toy ...it seems to help a lot...if he does it again sortly after i repeat the steps if it happens a 3rd time i wrap him in a blanket (swaddle him sorta) and rock him telling him no biting and he has to be nice usually after the first time he doesn't bite but deff after the thrid time he struggles and cries and when he calms down he goes back to playing nice...

WV Momma+2 girls :) Due February 8; 2 kids; West Virginia 2119 posts
17th Dec '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting Jessica Fili:</b>" my son is going to be 11m on the 27th he bites me and my step mom sometimes...but he doesnt bite when ... [snip!] ... he doesn't bite but deff after the thrid time he struggles and cries and when he calms down he goes back to playing nice..."</blockquote>

I'll try that, thanks!