2 year old who won't talk? Josh and Baylee's momma 2 kids; Winter Haven, Florida 41 posts
17th Dec '12

My daughter turned two in November. Her doctor says that she's supposed to be talking by now. She doesn't say any real words, but she can make animals sounds. She knows what she wants and she'll lead you to it, then point at it. She understands when you ask her a question and she'll even nod yes if the answer is yes.

Her doctor wants to put her in speech therapy. Other people have been telling me that she's autistic. I'm so confused. Please put my mind at ease. Anyone else have a two year old who didn't talk?

user banned 3 kids; Los Angeles, California 54034 posts
17th Dec '12

My two oldest boys didn't say much until around 3---but speech therapy never hurts. It's fun for them, there's no harm in trying it.

karenanne 2 kids; Cornwall, Ontario 3826 posts
17th Dec '12

my daughter is 2 and doesnt talk. she is in speech theraphy and has been put on the autism spectrum.

Jax 3 kids; Sydney, NS, Australia 2888 posts
17th Dec '12

My nephew was like this. We all thought autism, but that got ruled out. He's 4 now and is talking, but you can't really understands what he says.
On the other hand, I have a 2yr old who won't shut up, and you can understand him perfectly and have full on conversations with him.

justwanttodelete Due July 23 (girl); Switzerland 1021 posts
17th Dec '12

i didnt talk when i was two...my mom had to put my in speech therapy...i can assure im a normal adult....

Reise's Mommy 2 kids; Kentucky 1724 posts
17th Dec '12

My son is 19 months, almost 20 and doesn't talk. Not quite 2, but close. He's been in speech therapy since he was 15 months old and still doesn't talk. He doesn't point either, though. Nothing at all. He just gets whatever he wants on his own. He's been learning sign language in therapy and now is starting to use some of those. They were worried he might be autistic but have since said there's no way. I wouldn't worry too much, momma. She'll talk when she's ready :)

Josh and Baylee's momma 2 kids; Winter Haven, Florida 41 posts
17th Dec '12

Thanks. All of that makes me feel better. I looked up some "red flags" of autism and she has a couple of them, but not all of them. Other people have told me that she just doesn't have anything to say right now. That when she does have something, she'll start talking in complete sentences. lol. I doubt that's gonna happen.

It also makes me feel better about the whole speech therapy. The fact that it's fun for them relieves some anxiety. I was scared it was just going to be something that she absolutely hated..

user banned 3 kids; Los Angeles, California 54034 posts
17th Dec '12
Quoting Josh and Baylee's momma:" Thanks. All of that makes me feel better. I looked up some "red flags" of autism and she has a couple ... [snip!] ... fact that it's fun for them relieves some anxiety. I was scared it was just going to be something that she absolutely hated.."

Not at all---it's totally geared toward being fun.

17th Dec '12
Quoting Josh and Baylee's momma:" Thanks. All of that makes me feel better. I looked up some "red flags" of autism and she has a couple ... [snip!] ... fact that it's fun for them relieves some anxiety. I was scared it was just going to be something that she absolutely hated.."

Our therapist comes to our house once a week and he loves it a lot. She shows up and as soon as she gets here he signs "play" and starts running around in a circle hahaha. She always has new toys every week so he gets pretty excited when she shows up lol. If she makes eye contact at all I wouldn't be terribly concerned. They ruled out autism in my son the first time they saw him because he was making eye contact.

Blessed by Adoption X2 2 kids; Wisconsin 826 posts
17th Dec '12

My son will be 2 in Feb. He says only a few words hi, bye, mama, bubbles etc.. He recieves speech therapy and they have taught him sign language which has been VERY helpful for us because he can tell us what he wants even though he may not be able to verbalize. I would get your daughter evaluated by an early childhood teacher and speech teacher--you should be able to contact your county and they will come out to evaluate her. They will screen for autism also.
Some of the huge red flags for autism (I have had several kids with autism in my classroom) are eye contact, not seeking help from people, not showing affection. There are some great youtube videos that give you little tasks you can try with your child to see if they could possibly be autistic. Obviously, seeking a professionals help in screening your child (most peditricians can screen) is the best option, but the youtube videos may calm your nervous.

17th Dec '12
Quoting Blessed by Adoption X2:" My son will be 2 in Feb. He says only a few words hi, bye, mama, bubbles etc.. He recieves speech therapy ... [snip!] ... help in screening your child (most peditricians can screen) is the best option, but the youtube videos may calm your nervous."

This is why they thought Reise was autistic at first. He wasn't communicating at all. No pointing, nothing and he hated being affectionate. He doesn't like to cuddle or be held or anything like that. But then after his first session they said he's just a busy body. He's become a little more affectionate now, but he still doesn't like being held lol. He gives good night kisses though :)

3 little monsters 3 kids; Olathe, Colorado 50990 posts
17th Dec '12

My son barely spoke at 2, he's 5 now and still has a lot of speech problems but he's making a lot of progress in therapy! He really enjoys it and he's not autistic, just delayed.

3 little monsters 3 kids; Olathe, Colorado 50990 posts
17th Dec '12

My MIL has been blabbing on and on about how "He'll talk when he's ready" for 3 years now, lmao. Hasn't happened yet and he's got plenty he wants to get out.

Bettinas Due August 14; 2 kids; Australia 2212 posts
17th Dec '12

My niece didn't really start talking until she had grommets put in. She was having hearing difficulties which delayed her speech due to her constant sickness.

17th Dec '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting 3 little monsters:</b>" My MIL has been blabbing on and on about how "He'll talk when he's ready" for 3 years now, lmao. Hasn't happened yet and he's got plenty he wants to get out. "</blockquote>

My MIL gets on my nerves because she's annoyed he's in therapy and is constantly asking how its going and then scoffing and talking shit about it :roll: