-500 cals = 1lb per week? MamaTiffy[20-weeks] Due August 2; 2 kids; Sunnyvale, CA, United States 8725 posts
18th Dec '12

I came across this: Once you have figured out your required calorie intake you will want to reduce your intake by about 500 kcals a day. This will cause you to lose about 1 pound a week.

I am 5'7" and 168lbs. My required calorie intake is around 1900 calories. I was eating closer to 3,000 calories without gaining. I cut to 1200 calories a day and lost 7lbs in one week.

3,000cal - 1,200cal = 1,800 excess cut out
500cal per lb/1800cals = 3.6lbs

So according to this I should expect to lose 3.6lbs per week? I cut to 1,200 before for a month and lost close to 20lbs. Does that seem healthy? My "usual" diet is so unhealthy I would think any weight loss from converting to a healthier lifestyle would be ok right?

(sorry for so many weight loss threads!)

Ciara♥ 1 child; Portland, Oregon 4723 posts
18th Dec '12

It doesn't seem healthy to lose so much so quick, but it does come off pretty quickly at first. I have an app on my phone called my fitness pal, you put in your height, weight and ideal weight and it tells you how many calories you need a day to get to that weight.

MamaTiffy[20-weeks] Due August 2; 2 kids; Sunnyvale, CA, United States 8725 posts
18th Dec '12
Quoting Ciara♥:" It doesn't seem healthy to lose so much so quick, but it does come off pretty quickly at first. I have ... [snip!] ... pal, you put in your height, weight and ideal weight and it tells you how many calories you need a day to get to that weight."

Yeah I have that, and for what I want to lose it says 1,200 calories per day. My required minimum according to calculators is 1,900 but like I said I was probably closer to 3,000 because I used to drink SO MUCH soda

nothingness Arizona 3578 posts
19th Dec '12
Quoting Alyssa's mommy [EBFT]:" Yeah I have that, and for what I want to lose it says 1,200 calories per day. My required minimum according ... [snip!] ... minimum according to calculators is 1,900 but like I said I was probably closer to 3,000 because I used to drink SO MUCH soda"

Thats my problem. Soda :( I can avoid everything else, sweets, fast food, just overeating. But I cannot shake soda for my life. It finds its way to me I swear!

MamaTiffy[20-weeks] Due August 2; 2 kids; Sunnyvale, CA, United States 8725 posts
19th Dec '12
Quoting Rydicule91:" Thats my problem. Soda :( I can avoid everything else, sweets, fast food, just overeating. But I cannot shake soda for my life. It finds its way to me I swear!"

I just quit buying it! If it isn't in the house I can't get my hands on it. When I do break down and buy some I get diet, but I still restrict that to only one.

suck it 3 kids; New York 16101 posts
19th Dec '12

Just make sure you are eating back what you burn off.

I did the 1200 calories of completely clean eating plus exercising and I was eating constantly.

19th Dec '12
Quoting Heather ♥ 31 weeks:" Just make sure you are eating back what you burn off. I did the 1200 calories of completely clean eating plus exercising and I was eating constantly."

Oh I just eat the 1200 calories total and work out. I don't eat to make up for the calories burned

19th Dec '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting Alyssa's mommy [EBFT]:</b>" Oh I just eat the 1200 calories total and work out. I don't eat to make up for the calories burned"</blockquote>

Yeah, that is unhealthy. Lol

Your body will starve. So if you are eating a total of 1,200 calories burning say 300-500 calories that's very very unhealthy. If you have trouble keeping up on calories I would do a couple supplement shakes. Sometimes I'll do smoothies and just add the soy vanilla supplement or Greek yogurt. 200 calories easily! :) just do one after a workout.

19th Dec '12

Try using the my fitness pal app it will help you keep track of calories burned and your intake! I love it.

19th Dec '12
Quoting Heather ♥ 31 weeks:" Try using the my fitness pal app it will help you keep track of calories burned and your intake! I love it."

I use it, but I don't factor in calories burned :/