12 month old wont look at us...weird? Kristen Parris 2 kids; Virginia 1892 posts
26th Dec '12

My son just turned 12 months.... a lot of the time he won't look at people when their faces are right there and he won't look when you say his name.

Example: Tonight I laid him in his crib and covered him up, kissed him, and said "good night jaxon I love you." My face was like 8 inches from his and he would NOT look at me.. he kept looking at the lamp that was on on his dresser.. I tried to get him to look at me and he wouldn't.

Earlier that night he was in his highchair and I was trying to get him to look at me and he wouldn't! He kept moving his head so he could try and see the TV in the next room.

He does things like this all the time and it seems like he does them more to ME than anyone else.. he does it to his dad too. He doesn't do it all the time, he will look at me and talk and smile and interact with me but I just find it weird that he does it as much as he does... The only other baby I have to compare him to is his cousin who is 5 weeks older and she always looks at people when they try to talk to her or whatever.

Is this just his personality or could there be something else going on? I'm worried not that he doesn't "love" me but maybe not like me as much? I hate to even say that because it makes me so sad :(

Ole' No Name TTC since Oct 2013; 1 child; Singapore, Singapore 6241 posts
26th Dec '12

Babies get distracted easily.
My DD ignores me for the TV too.

OGDirtyLurker 3 kids; Ada, Oklahoma 35200 posts
26th Dec '12

I think that's normal. He's just interested in other things. Especially if he sees you guys everyday.

White Chocolate Milk 1 child; Chelsea, Alabama 12303 posts
26th Dec '12

He's probably easily distracted by other things that are near by.

JJ+Steven&David 2 kids; 1 angel baby; ., MO, United States 11150 posts
26th Dec '12

That's how my son is. He's so busy exploring everything around him.

*Mary Moon* 1 child; New York 3601 posts
26th Dec '12

Mine does this all the time. He even pushes my face away sometimes too. They are determined little buggers when they want their space or are preoccupied lol

Misty Tarlton 5 kids; Fruita, Colorado 136 posts
26th Dec '12

I don't know, I don't want to scare you our anything, it might just be a phase he is going through, or it might be a sign of autism. If it was my baby i would take him to a Dr and see what they say. It's always best to find out things as soon as possible.

Kristen Parris 2 kids; Virginia 1892 posts
26th Dec '12
Quoting Misty Tarlton:" I don't know, I don't want to scare you our anything, it might just be a phase he is going through, or ... [snip!] ... If it was my baby i would take him to a Dr and see what they say. It's always best to find out things as soon as possible."

See that's what I'm afraid of, but I just don't think it is because he doesn't do it all the time and to other people he doesn't see often... He shows emotion when I leave or his dad leaves etc. So that leads me to believe it isn't autism and that it is just his personality which he is very observant. He likes to sit back and see peoples reactions and study them and he is a little bit quieter but he loves to snuggle with me and play..

Misty Tarlton 5 kids; Fruita, Colorado 136 posts
26th Dec '12

It's most likely just him getting distracted by other things like everyone said and i really wouldn't worry. But your the mom and if you think there could be anything possibly going on you should ask your Dr. Most kids go through really weird phases though, I've had 4 kids and i had 5 little brothers, I've been around babies my whole life and I'm sure he is fine. They are learning so much at that age! It just doesn't hurt to mention it at his next appointment:)
God bless!

26th Dec '12
Quoting Misty Tarlton:" It's most likely just him getting distracted by other things like everyone said and i really wouldn't ... [snip!] ... sure he is fine. They are learning so much at that age! It just doesn't hurt to mention it at his next appointment:) God bless!"

Thanks.. I'm definitely going to bring it up! Thank you!

26th Dec '12

Thanks everyone!

Mommy of a giggler! 2 kids; Edmonton, Alberta 9017 posts
26th Dec '12
Quoting Kristen Parris:" See that's what I'm afraid of, but I just don't think it is because he doesn't do it all the time and ... [snip!] ... to sit back and see peoples reactions and study them and he is a little bit quieter but he loves to snuggle with me and play.."

It's probably nothing, and the first thing I would do is maybe just go get his eyes checked. Maybe his vision is a bit off, so certian combos of light/darkness/near/far make things hard to see.

Autism is a possiblity, but I wouldn't jump to it. My son had great eye contact at that age, loosing it more around 18 months. He was very social and had great emotion. Right from day one he wanted to face out to see the world, I always joked that he just wanted to be a part of everything. He was dx with autism at 3. Just not having eye contact alone is not a sure sign, but I would get his eyes checked if I were you.

☮Sugar Magnolia 1 child; Indiana 18298 posts
26th Dec '12
Quoting Misty Tarlton:" I don't know, I don't want to scare you our anything, it might just be a phase he is going through, or ... [snip!] ... If it was my baby i would take him to a Dr and see what they say. It's always best to find out things as soon as possible."

There's no way to diagnose a 1 year old with Autism. They're still babies and develop at different rates. The earliest I've ever even heard of a child being diagnosed is 3.

26th Dec '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting Mommy of a giggler!:</b>" It's probably nothing, and the first thing I would do is maybe just go get his eyes checked. Maybe ... [snip!] ... was dx with autism at 3. Just not having eye contact alone is not a sure sign, but I would get his eyes checked if I were you."</blockquote>

Hmm I didn't even think about that! Thanks for suggesting that! Did your son show any signs around 12 months? The thought has crossed my mind before because of some other things he does. He would throw his arms out when he was younger and make them all stiff when he was mad. But he hasn't done that in a long time. Now he will arch himself backwards or go limp. Also he didn't seem upset when I would leave him with someone but I thought that was because he was use to them. He does get upset now but not all the time. When we call his name he doesn't pay attention alot of the time either which I feel is weird... But again might be his personality...

I'm just really worried, I need to take him to his doctor and talk to her about them!

Reise's Mommy 2 kids; Kentucky 1722 posts
26th Dec '12

My son is this way. He even acts like he can't hear you at all sometimes. He completely ignores me most of the time and gets angry if I try to get him to look at me when he's distracted by something. At 15 months his pedi will probably have you fill out an evaluation called an m-chat, I think. DS did poorly on his and now he's in therapy because they were concerned he may have autism, but he doesn't and has gotten remarkably better since he started speech therapy. He's still not talking, so I guess the intended purpose isn't going so well but for the first time since he was 3 or 4 months old he wants to spend time with me and cuddle and interacts with me. I think with DS it's just his personality and he's still growing into it.

Don't worry yourself too much :)