Reply
would i be being selfish? Emma Mayo Due February 25 (boy); 18 kids; Manchester, United Kingdom 321 posts
27th Dec '12

since i became pregnant i have had attacks of what felt like serious indigestion and contractions high up on my torso, on one evening i was in so much pain i was taken to accident and emergancey where i was given lots of pain relife, iv antibioics and fluides, after a couple of days in hospital it was discoverd i had large gallstones in my gallbladder along with an infection (infection has now clearded) i was told i would have to have a operation to have my whole gallbladder removed as that would be the only way to stop my pain. however i was 27 weeks pregnant at the time and was told that they would like to hold out untill baby was born as the op may put the baby at risk of being prem. i am now 31 weeks pregnant and i honestly dont think i can cope with the pain much longer, my attacks are getting worse by the day. its even come down to me being scarred to eat or drink incase an attack comes on. i have a stong pain threshhold (or so i believed lol) but this is becomeing to much.... and during an attack i just want to get myself down to a&e and begg to have it removed there and then.. its even spoiled my christmas as i havnt been able to join anyone for christmas dinner or boxing day dinner (i now fear my inlaws think i am extreamly rude as i even refused to come down stairs as i was having one of my gallbladder attacks) eventhough i am in so much pain when it happens i havnt taken myself to hospital because i am scared of what may happen to my unborn child, plus i dont want my partner to think that i am puttin our unborn last.... and thinking about myself. however i cant take it anymore. its becomeing unbearable... what the heck do i do??? all i know is i cant cope. my attacks come 1-3 times a day and may last for 1-3 hours regardless of what i eat. what would yous do??

E'M Shikari Due March 10 (boy); 1 child; 1 angel baby; Preston, United Kingdom 1747 posts
27th Dec '12

I'd find out more about possible risks to baby. If the pros outweighed the cons then I would get it done but not if it would be dangerous for my baby.

Baby_Majick 52 kids; Sullivan, Missouri 4031 posts
27th Dec '12

I would talk to them about it, I had mine removed in 09... you should talk about it.... people need to understand how you feel.

A+E VBAC mama! 2 kids; Gaylord, Minnesota 12223 posts
27th Dec '12

Watch more of what Ur eating. That is what causes attacks.

C.xox-mama Due October 22; 1 child; 1 angel baby; St Thomas, Ontario 1576 posts
27th Dec '12

wouldnt it be worst to cause you and the babe that much stress? what you feel mentally they feel

SavageDarling 3 kids; Webster, Massachusetts 10381 posts
27th Dec '12

I know that pain is terrible but i would not even consider risking my baby to have the procedure done, and honestly i don't think a doctor WILL do it for you until after you deliver. If something were to happen to your baby during how would you feel after the fact? Would it be worth it?
Have you talked to your doctor about an induction shortly before your due date (like 39 weeks) so you can have the surgery sooner?

Emma Mayo Due February 25 (boy); 18 kids; Manchester, United Kingdom 321 posts
27th Dec '12
Quoting Ah TAM:" Watch more of what Ur eating. That is what causes attacks."


i do... believe me its not worth the risk me eating fatty foods.... i am seriosuly carefull... but like i said, it makes no difference.

Daenerys Stormborn Due March 14; TTC since May 2013; 1 child; ., Nb, Canada 1122 posts
27th Dec '12

I've had pregnant patients that have had the laparoscopic gallbladder removal done. The last one I believe was like 28-32 weeks pregnant.

Phf- ee bee;) Due January 26 (girl); 18 kids; Pennsylvania 5310 posts
27th Dec '12

Id deffinetly go back and tell them how bad it is! The pain itself, stress and lack of eating/drinking could cause preterm labor anyhow......

susanesque 2 kids; Georgia 8425 posts
27th Dec '12

This is hard... I remember how much pain I was in with mine, but at the same time it poses a big risk to the baby. If you can, I'd try to tough it out a little longer, but then again, I was in so much pain by the time I had mine removed I thought I was dying.



I'm sorry, Mama. The best I can tell you is to talk to your Dr. and go with your instincts. Maybe they could give baby something to help with his/her lungs just in case.

Emma Mayo Due February 25 (boy); 18 kids; Manchester, United Kingdom 321 posts
27th Dec '12
Quoting MommaSav2:" I know that pain is terrible but i would not even consider risking my baby to have the procedure done, ... [snip!] ... you talked to your doctor about an induction shortly before your due date (like 39 weeks) so you can have the surgery sooner?"


the surgen said they would do it if they had no choice and i wasnt able to cope.. i have held off for so long and i am stuggling to cope. of course i want nothing more then to go full term. the last thing i want to do is put my unborn at risk of being ill himself. but honestly i cant cope with the pain anymore... and i dont know how to handle it.

C.xox-mama Due October 22; 1 child; 1 angel baby; St Thomas, Ontario 1576 posts
27th Dec '12
Quoting Emma Mayo:" the surgen said they would do it if they had no choice and i wasnt able to cope.. i have held off for ... [snip!] ... put my unborn at risk of being ill himself. but honestly i cant cope with the pain anymore... and i dont know how to handle it."


you could talk to the docs about getting the babe prepared just in case you go pre before getting the operation

Emma Mayo Due February 25 (boy); 18 kids; Manchester, United Kingdom 321 posts
27th Dec '12
Quoting ♡Mommy to A♡:" I've had pregnant patients that have had the laparoscopic gallbladder removal done. The last one I believe was like 28-32 weeks pregnant."


i am sure there was a risk there also... the thought and being told about a risk to my unborn is scary. hence why i am trying to hold out. however i doubt i am going to do it with success lol

Christina Tejada Due January 22 (boy); 16 kids; Fayetteville, North Carolina 158 posts
27th Dec '12

At this point, it sounds like you have no choice but to get the surgery. Talk to your ob asap & find out what your pain management options are & also if the risks don't outweigh the pros to getting the surgery, you should def consider it. I think being in that much pain constantly is also bad for your baby but the only way to get anywhere with this is to talk to your Dr & find out what options you have at this point. I wish you the best of luck.

SavageDarling 3 kids; Webster, Massachusetts 10381 posts
27th Dec '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting Emma Mayo:</b>" the surgen said they would do it if they had no choice and i wasnt able to cope.. i have held off for ... [snip!] ... put my unborn at risk of being ill himself. but honestly i cant cope with the pain anymore... and i dont know how to handle it."</blockquote>




Well then I guess your only option is to talk to your doctors about it and see what they say. If you honestly don't think you can make it any longer than I suppose there is no other option but to have it done. But inwould make sure you're aware of all the risks and side effects concerning the baby. From the actually procedur to the anesthesia and the pain management afterward. Good luck to you.