Reply
Two Princesses 2 kids; Long Beach, CA, United States 7203 posts
28th Dec '12
Quoting Lucas'Mama:" I've heard of them inducing because baby is too big, but not too small... you'd think they'd leave baby ... [snip!] ... think they'd leave baby in to cook as long as possible if she was too small. Sounds suspicious to me, I'd get a second opinion."



My thoughts exactly. Maybe OP meant too big?
That is one of the reasons my OB wanted to induce with my now two year old, although Pre-E was the main reason.
He said baby was going to be around 7 pounds 15 OZ. She wasn't. She was 5pounds 14 OZ.



Unless she has some medical issue if baby is really too small I'd say let her bake till 41 even 42 weeks, but I am of course no medical expert.

Boobo&bugs Due September 24; 1 child; Simpsonville, South Carolina 7567 posts
28th Dec '12

I was induced because my baby stopped growing at 35 weeks. It was not discovered until I was 39 weeks. If this has what has happened to you I strongly suggest you do what your doctor says. At that point it's safer to get them out then to let them stay in. I had the foley bulb which I think is what you are talking about. It's not that bad and I would have an induction that way again if that induction was medically necessary. Did they do a u/s to tell you baby was only about 5 lbs? They can be off by about 2 lbs in either direction.

Bella1488 Due January 1 (girl); London, Ontario 12 posts
28th Dec '12

They noticed she wasn't growing much when I was 35 weeks. But because all the tests were fine they weren't to worried about it and hoped she would grow more. But she hasn't grown much at all since then. And I am very skinny so it's kinda easy to see that my belly is really to small. People don't believe I'm 39 weeks. I don't want to keep her in there if she's not going to grow. I will go through with the induction if I have to I'm just scared of it and want to know what I am in for

Loretta West [+1] Due March 26; TTC since May 2013; 1 child; Auckland, New Zealand 6209 posts
28th Dec '12
Quoting Squeaky McGee:" If the baby has IUGR (intrauterine growth restriction), the baby doesn't grow in utero. Something holds it back. You think they'd notice it before now, though."


Yeah I figured that wasn't the case, they suspected that in my pregnancy from week 13 coz of some abnormal HCG levels and they were all over me like a rash, I had about 11 scans, maybe more, throughout the pregnancy just to make sure he was growing okay, and he was. If he had IUGR they would have told OP and she'd have mentioned it, I'd imagine. Maybe the doc has a holiday booked :roll:

Loretta West [+1] Due March 26; TTC since May 2013; 1 child; Auckland, New Zealand 6209 posts
28th Dec '12
Quoting Bella1488:" Well my belly has been measuring to small so he wanted an ultrasound to make sure she was getting everything ... [snip!] ... now so he doesn't want me to go over due in case the tests were wrong and she isn't growing any more or something like that."


Some babies are just small OP. Of course, if the doctor has a medical reason for an induction, and you get a second opinion that agrees with the first doctor, then hell yes let them induce. Otherwise I'd wait a bit, and see if my body kicks into gear on its own.
But definitely get a second opinion.. If two doctors say the same thing I'm inclined to think there's something actually wrong, and I'd hate for you to take our advice and miss the induction if there is actually something to be concerned about.

Loretta West [+1] Due March 26; TTC since May 2013; 1 child; Auckland, New Zealand 6209 posts
28th Dec '12
Quoting Two Princesses:" My thoughts exactly. Maybe OP meant too big? That is one of the reasons my OB wanted to induce with ... [snip!] ... medical issue if baby is really too small I'd say let her bake till 41 even 42 weeks, but I am of course no medical expert."


7lb15?? That's an average size isn't it? I wouldn't have thought they'd induce for an almost 8lb baby.

Bella1488 Due January 1 (girl); London, Ontario 12 posts
28th Dec '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting Lucas'Mama:</b>" Some babies are just small OP. Of course, if the doctor has a medical reason for an induction, and you ... [snip!] ... wrong, and I'd hate for you to take our advice and miss the induction if there is actually something to be concerned about."</blockquote>



I don't think I can get a second opinion. How can I find another ob by Wednesday? He's the high risk doctor of the hospital as well.

3.24.10☀9.10.11☀12.12.14 Due December 12 (girl); 2 kids; 2 angel babies; Oregon 3485 posts
28th Dec '12
Quoting Bella1488:" <blockquote><b>Quoting Lucas'Mama:</b>" Some babies are just small OP. Of course, ... [snip!] ... think I can get a second opinion. How can I find another ob by Wednesday? He's the high risk doctor of the hospital as well."


If he's the high risk doctor I would probably go with what he is suggesting. Maybe ask him to explain his reasoning a bit better.

Boobo&bugs Due September 24; 1 child; Simpsonville, South Carolina 7567 posts
28th Dec '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting Bella1488:</b>" They noticed she wasn't growing much when I was 35 weeks. But because all the tests were fine they weren't ... [snip!] ... not going to grow. I will go through with the induction if I have to I'm just scared of it and want to know what I am in for"</blockquote>




I chalked some of my baby's size up to genetics. But when she was born her placenta was starting to calcify and had been for awhile. They didn't catch this in my ultrasound. I was the one that caught that she hadn't grown not my doctors. But I think that's because I had gd and they were only worried about her not getting to big. It is completely possible that they wouldn't catch it till now because it happened to us. Induction sucks but it really isn't that bad. If you can avoid it great but if its something you need to do do it. I cried about it cause I was so against it but in the end it was the way DD needed to come and I wouldn't trade a healthy baby for anything. Good luck! Request a second ultrasound.

TRISHA =] 2 kids; California 3368 posts
28th Dec '12
Quoting Bella1488:" <blockquote><b>Quoting Lucas'Mama:</b>" Some babies are just small OP. Of course, ... [snip!] ... think I can get a second opinion. How can I find another ob by Wednesday? He's the high risk doctor of the hospital as well."


i get what you mean, my doctor is the high risk ob too. i would trust a high risk ob over a regular one.

Loretta West [+1] Due March 26; TTC since May 2013; 1 child; Auckland, New Zealand 6209 posts
28th Dec '12
Quoting Bella1488:" <blockquote><b>Quoting Lucas'Mama:</b>" Some babies are just small OP. Of course, ... [snip!] ... think I can get a second opinion. How can I find another ob by Wednesday? He's the high risk doctor of the hospital as well."


He can't be the only doctor though, he must have a backup or something.. what if he was in surgery and another woman came in needing to be delivered?
If he's a high risk doctor though I'd probably trust his opinion.. but I don't understand why they'd let you go to your DD if she had growth restrictions, I'd assume they'd want to get her out right away. Maybe ask him exactly what it is they're worried about and do your own research.

lolajessup 3 kids; 1 angel baby; Beaverton, Michigan 44070 posts
28th Dec '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting Bella1488:</b>" <blockquote><b>Quoting Lucas'Mama:</b>" Some babies are just small OP. Of course, ... [snip!] ... think I can get a second opinion. How can I find another ob by Wednesday? He's the high risk doctor of the hospital as well."</blockquote>



I'd youre seeing a high risk dr you should probably listen then.

Mommy&3+1 Due February 17; 3 kids; Ohio 1796 posts
28th Dec '12

With my daughter I had gestational diabetes. I had growth scans regularly and by 39w she was still only "estimating" 5lbs. So they wanted to induce me. Luckily I was having some contractions a few days before that appt, and I ended up going into labor on my own the day after my check up. Don't let the doctor scare you into an induction if there was no talk at all of the babies weight previously in the pregnancy.

Mommy&3+1 Due February 17; 3 kids; Ohio 1796 posts
28th Dec '12

Oh and my daughter was born weighing 6lbs, so yes, my ultrasound was off by nearly a whole pound.

Jennifer's Mommy:) 1 child; Wisconsin 16 posts
28th Dec '12

Im im the same boat as you are. Im going to be induced on Sunday . My due date was Wednesday. Im not dialting, or thinning and my baby is still sitting high. I have to go in on sunday & take some kind of pill every 4 hours, to try help my cervix thin & help my baby drop. im freaked at the idea.