4 Month Old ready for baby food? posts
29th Dec '12

Recently my baby has been crying a lot more than ever before he seems to be eating 6 ounces of formula every 2.5 to 3 hours. He still doesn't seem satisfied and is still hungry. I do put 2 tablespoons of cereal in a couple of his bottles through out the day, and he does eat cereal from a spoon. I know the pediatrician says wait until 6 months do use cereal or baby food but my motherly instincts tell me he is ready to start with a little baby food here and there. Any suggestions?

WV Momma+2 girls :) Due February 8 (boy); 2 kids; Reigelwood, NC, United States 2190 posts
29th Dec '12

He's probably going through a growth spurt. I wouldn't do baby food that early, but that's me.

Brandi Coyle Wallace 3 kids; Arkansas 284 posts
29th Dec '12

I never wait until 6 months. If you feel your baby is hungry its your decision. I gave my kids cereal and baby food at a very early age. They were so much happier to have something other than milk. I always do what I feel is right and if you think milk is no longer enough for tour baby, I say do what u feel is best.

Edit... just don't give baby food all the time.

NicoThunders 2 kids; Michigan 12847 posts
29th Dec '12

I wouldn't do baby food before 6 months.

Mrs.Dani Due July 3; 1 child; 3 angel babies; Oxnard, California 10272 posts
29th Dec '12

I wouldn't do it, it can cause stomach problems later on. I wasn't even sure I wanted to start Ali when he was 6 months.

RadioactiveCat Due November 8 (boy); 1 child; Roanoke, VA, United States 22867 posts
29th Dec '12

I waited till closer to 6 months. I have NO idea what is an acceptable amount of formula for the day, I did on-demand breastfeeding. But can you give him more formula if he is still hungry?

Jays*Mama 2 kids; Michigan 5680 posts
29th Dec '12

I started my son at 4 months, his pedi said to.

SavageDarling 3 kids; Webster, Massachusetts 10381 posts
29th Dec '12

Just five him more formula if he's still hungry. This sounds like a growth spurt and it will pass. Giving food too early can be dangerous for them because their stomachs ate literally open and the food particular can pass into their blood stream and other areas of the body. Also, no cereal in the bottle unless he has acid reflux. It's a serious choking hazard.

SavageDarling 3 kids; Webster, Massachusetts 10381 posts
29th Dec '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting :</b>" I am also wondering if the excess of crying and acting hungry is me mistaking teething for being hungry. He has been chewing on everything in sight and running a low grade temp every other day or so."</blockquote>

Yes he is probably teething or could be coming down with something.

baby1759 TTC since Nov 2011; 1 child; United Kingdom 365 posts
29th Dec '12

Charlie was on baby rice at 8 weeks old because he
Was ready and he is now 17 months perfectly happy and fine
And loves food :) x