5 Year Old Won't Wipe His Butt WeenieMachine 3 kids; Japan 27915 posts
4th Jun '08

I'm at my wit's end with my five year old. He is completely potty trained but will not wipe his own butt. We usually watch him at home to make sure (and it's always a battle to make sure he does it to the point of being clean) but he's been coming home from school with horrid skid marks in his underpants and a dirty butt.

I've explained to him over and over how unhealthy it is to not be clean there and even had him clean his own underpants in the sinkbut the message just won't go through. Any advice?

Joseph & Ben's Mommy!! 4 kids; Emory, Texas 2537 posts
4th Jun '08

First, stop doing it for him, totally. Buy some of those flushable wipes for him, my son never had a prob doing it himself, but getting himself totally clean was an issue, so Iused these. I would think after having a chapped little butt for a day or two he would get the idea, let it get chapped when he complains tell him its because he wont wipe his own butt!! That might help

J e s s i c a 3 kids; Sherwood, Oregon 36775 posts
4th Jun '08

She pretty much covered it...but yea, DO NOT do it for him. Otherwise he'll just keep asking, like anything else. Why do I always see this problem with boys? Makes me kind of nervous.

Danielle Sharise 2 kids; Illinois 8672 posts
4th Jun '08

My little brother was like that at 4 & so my mom got him the wipes for kids that are like baby wipes... it really helped & not he just uses toilet paper.

r3n3 [JAS08] 2 kids; Tucson, Arizona 1451 posts
4th Jun '08

i just posted this about my four year old but he wouldn't do it. i wasn't worried about it being done right yet just doing it himself. And i am happy to say he has been doing it yay! Does he know he isn't doing a good job? maybe he thinks its clean until he see his underwear. try wet wipes. but at school he may just have to rough it.

WeenieMachine 3 kids; Japan 27915 posts
4th Jun '08

No, we don't do it for him at all. He has wipes at home but won't do anything at all when we're not ther watching over him. He knows he's not doing a good job and knows that he needs to do it but just absolutely won't.

Do you think it's a wipe thing? Maybe I should get him a little packet of wipes to keep in his pocket for school?

And thank you for the responses. It's been a bad day and crapstained undies were the last straw. :oops:

*****Chrissy***** 1 child; Florida 1212 posts
4th Jun '08

my little brother is 7 and my parents still wipe his but. He knows how to do it becuz he does it with me. Because i tell him straight out your7 your not a little baby anymore. If u want me to treat you like one then i will. After i say that he does it himself. But he doesnt do it when my parents around becuz they will just do it for them..

r3n3 [JAS08] 2 kids; Tucson, Arizona 1451 posts
4th Jun '08
Quoting jnazmom:
4th Jun '08

I'll see if I can find a travel packet of something for him to just carry with him.

Thanks again, ladies.

4th Jun '08
Quoting jnazmom:
4th Jun '08

I kind of thought that having to clean it out of his underpants himself would shock him a bit. But NOOOOOO, he thinks doing laundry is fun!

*headdesk*

4th Jun '08
Quoting jnazmom:
official xbox smasher 18 kids; El Paso, Texas 70400 posts
4th Jun '08

My nephew does that. It was so gross. He stunk the seat of our car up so bad.