2 y/o banging head user banned
29th Dec '12

My 2 year old bangs her head on the wall, when she doesn't get her way or when she's sleepy. How do I get her to stop? I asked her doctor about it and she told me to ignore it, I've tried that and it doesn't work. I think it's becoming more of a behavioral problem.

Andi+Andy=Marley+1 2 kids; Fredericksburg, Virginia 4564 posts
29th Dec '12

DD used to do it all the time when she was angry.I ignored it. It didn't get her to stop at the time but eventually she grew or of that stage

Juliette 4 kids; 1 angel baby; Olive Branch, MS, United States 3015 posts
29th Dec '12

Its just a stage. My daughter banged her head on the coffee table 3 days before Christmas and still has a huge bruise lol. Little shit: -P

Meℓissa+1♥ 1 child; ., CA, United States 16720 posts
status 29th Dec '12

How long has she been doing it? Is the head banging pretty severe?

As you know, Landon banged his head too, since he was 9 months old. We thought he would grow out of it once he turned two (that's what his pedi told us) but he didn't and that's when we had him evaluated for sensory issues... it turns out he banged his head because he didn't know how to regulate the way he was feeling... so he head banged for "pleasure." He started occupational therapy about a month ago and he has completely stopped the head banging and rarely throws tantrums anymore, it's amazing!

Not saying she has sensory issues, but if she doesn't outgrow the head banging, I would definitely look into getting her evaluated.

user banned 3 kids; Portland, Michigan 15675 posts
30th Dec '12
Quoting Momma to L ♥:" How long has she been doing it? Is the head banging pretty severe? As you know, Landon banged his head ... [snip!] ... saying she has sensory issues, but if she doesn't outgrow the head banging, I would definitely look into getting her evaluated."

She has been doing it a while, for months. She will bang her head so loud that my father in law can hear her outside at his house (he lives next door).

What does he have to do in his occupational therapy? Doesn't he have a speech problem, also?

user banned 3 kids; Portland, Michigan 15675 posts
30th Dec '12

And omg she throws tantrums like a mother f****r, too. I've gotten to where I can't even control her anymore. Is there a check list to look at on the internet, Mel?

status 30th Dec '12
Quoting I♥MyTots:" She has been doing it a while, for months. She will bang her head so loud that my father in law can ... [snip!] ... his house (he lives next door). What does he have to do in his occupational therapy? Doesn't he have a speech problem, also?"

Oh wow! :(

Occupational therapy gives him and us tools to help with the sensory issues. yeah, he is speech delayed a little. On Wednesdays, he does 1 hour with the speech therapist and then 1 hour with the OT therapist. OT is kinda like a mix between a preschool and a kiddy gym. it's hard to explain really, lol.
I found this video though, the guy talks about it a little bit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY_JKPt7spc

status 30th Dec '12
Quoting I♥MyTots:" And omg she throws tantrums like a mother f****r, too. I've gotten to where I can't even control her anymore. Is there a check list to look at on the internet, Mel?"

that was landon too! it was sooo stressful to deal with :(