38 weeks update (: ☆Tiffanyyy☆ 1 child; none, FL, United States 467 posts
2nd Jan '13

38 weeks yesterday :)
Went to the doctors today and i'm 3cm dialated & 75% effaced!
I hope my lil guy comes soon! Ahhh!

They're gonnna induce me next thursday the 10th if i don't have
him yet.

Anybody get induced? Is it alot worse? i just hope baby comes on his own.

~Valentines mommy~ Due August 7; 1 child; Lakeside, California 1091 posts
2nd Jan '13

Why can't you wait until he makes his own appearance, and is ready? Usually they won't induce until your like past due..

☆Tiffanyyy☆ 1 child; none, FL, United States 467 posts
2nd Jan '13

Cause they think he's getting too big, and i'll pretty much be 40 weeks. I'd rather him come on his own, like i said in my post...

Boobo&bugs 2 kids; Simpsonville, South Carolina 7824 posts
2nd Jan '13

I was induced at 39 weeks for medical reasons. Don't let others make you feel bad about it. It took 27 hours for her to come. But it's ok she came the way she need to. Good luck and it's not that. Some people have a good experience some don't.

Jamie Vincent-Nead 4 kids; Altoona, Pennsylvania 263 posts
2nd Jan '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting ☆Tiffanyyy☆:</b>" 38 weeks yesterday :) Went to the doctors today and i'm 3cm dialated & 75% effaced! I hope my lil ... [snip!] ... me next thursday the 10th if i don't have him yet. Anybody get induced? Is it alot worse? i just hope baby comes on his own."</blockquote>

I did with my first one. It wasn't that bad it definitely helps if you are already dialated some. I was 3 cm when they started I had my daughter about 3 1/2 hrs later.

SquirrelyMom Due May 18; 1 child; Burlington, Ontario 1026 posts
2nd Jan '13

your due the 15th and they want to induce 5 days early?? why? is there a problem or complication? I've heard inductions are not pleasant because the drug amps up the strength of the contractions and frequency, and its just not what your body would naturally do....if you go naturally into labor, it may never be as intense as a drug induced one. I was just reading another forum about cervix checks, and it seems unnecessary to check at all before you go into labor if you don't have a high risk pregnancy. It can make the doctors want to induce if you are dilated a certain amount already, even though being dilated before 40 weeks doesn't mean labor is minutes away....you could be a bit dilated for weeks and still be full 40 weeks till labor starts.

Two Princesses 2 kids; Los Angeles, CA, United States 7205 posts
2nd Jan '13
Quoting Snurrie:" your due the 15th and they want to induce 5 days early?? why? is there a problem or complication? I've ... [snip!] ... weeks doesn't mean labor is minutes away....you could be a bit dilated for weeks and still be full 40 weeks till labor starts."

My OB scheduled me for an induction 7 days early with my now two year old due to Pre-E.
It ended in a c-section before it ever started due to unrelated reasons, and my OB is taking this baby via repeat c-section 7 days early this time too.
It does happen. It's not unheard of lol.
I do agree that people shouldn't be inducing if they don't need too, but it's her OB's call and it doesn't sound too unreasonable to me. If baby does become too big it will end in c-section anyway. and since she's already made cervical progress and she'll be 39 weeks 2 days it sounds legit.

Katrina Harrison 2 kids; Jacksonville, FL, United States 300 posts
2nd Jan '13

I was induced. Wasn't bad. 8 1/2 hours later I had my daughter.

2nd Jan '13
Quoting Two Princesses:" My OB scheduled me for an induction 7 days early with my now two year old due to Pre-E. It ended in ... [snip!] ... it will end in c-section anyway. and since she's already made cervical progress and she'll be 39 weeks 2 days it sounds legit."

thats why i said if there are complications or not, as in your case with pre-eclampsia. I know the poster was hoping for it to happen on its own, so maybe she can ask to wait the extra 5 days to see if it does...if she's feeling ok, and the baby is ok, maybe its not necessary to induce. As for them guessing that the baby is a certain size, I've heard many stories of doctors estimates being inaccurate when the baby gets weighed after birth. My OB hasn't done a cervix check or estimated the babys size/weight, she just told me if I go past my date a certain amount she's on call for a week after my date or a week and 3 days after my date. But I guess some docs are different

3rd Jan '13
Quoting Snurrie:" thats why i said if there are complications or not, as in your case with pre-eclampsia. I know the poster ... [snip!] ... a certain amount she's on call for a week after my date or a week and 3 days after my date. But I guess some docs are different"

While it is true they can be off by a lot, that wasn't true for me. They estimated DD would be 6 and 1/2 lbs. she was born via induction for medical reasons 3 days later weighing 6 lbs. 5 oz. They only let me wait the 3 days because I really wanted my mom to be there and she had to get a plane ticket. I had to do extensive monitoring to wait just those 3 days. If there is a legit medical reason to induce she should induce and not wait. Had I not been induced I would have lost my daughter. We still had to spend time in NICU and I was only 2 days off from my due date. Sometimes induction really is best, even though you don't want one.

3rd Jan '13

Yep I'm certainly not arguing that fact. If there is a medical reason for the safety of the mother or baby, then it should be done. Same with c-sections and administering various drugs. Sometimes you have a picture in your mind of how you want the birth to go, but if complications arise, you just have faith that the doctors are doing the right thing for you and your baby and not just doing what they want to make the birth easier or quicker for them.

3rd Jan '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Snurrie:</b>" Yep I'm certainly not arguing that fact. If there is a medical reason for the safety of the mother or ... [snip!] ... are doing the right thing for you and your baby and not just doing what they want to make the birth easier or quicker for them."</blockquote>

It is really hard to tell sometimes with doctors though. Sometimes they scare you into things. I trusted my doctor and he was very honest with me. I was heartbroken that I had to be induced but now it really doesn't matter.

3rd Jan '13

Sometimes I wish my doc would check me out for cervix dilation/softening/thinning, or give me her opinion on baby size...what if my baby is too big at this point (39 wks) for her to fit through my pelvis? what if my cervix has dialted a certain amount, and what will that mean at this point? It seems to me when I read other women getting checked early its because of previous pregnancies going a certain way, or the doctor has some concerns with the current preg to check early. My OB doesn't have a reason to check anything till i'm in labor in the hospital so I guess I have to trust that everything is fine and hope I deliver soon