3 in 1 carseat question..... A+E VBAC mama! 2 kids; Gaylord, Minnesota 12223 posts
3rd Jan '13

So Im looking at carseats (non infant ones) for this baby since she will use her sisters. and it expires a month before she will be 1, and if shes anything like her sister she will need a bigger carseat by than anyways.

ANYWHO the question....

for these 3 in 1 carseat deals. wouldnt they expire by the time that the kid uses it for a booter? I seen one that goes from 5lbs to 100lbs.

does a booster not count in the 5 year rule?

Jennybananna 2 kids; Gilbert, AZ, United States 25079 posts
3rd Jan '13

Get a diono rxt.
8/10 Year Expiration: The RXT has 2 separate expiration dates. When used with the harness, the RXT expires 8 years from date of manufacture (not the date of purchase!). When used as a booster without the harness, the seat expires 10 years from date of manufacture. The manual specifies not to use the seat if it is in a crash.

.free. 2 kids; Arkansas 36040 posts
3rd Jan '13

Normally in a seat that RF, FF and boosters, the booster portion will have an extended expiration date.

That being said, the only 3 in 1 seat that fits newborns really well is the Radian.
Also, a lot of 3 in 1 or All in one seats make terrible boosters.

A+E VBAC mama! 2 kids; Gaylord, Minnesota 12223 posts
3rd Jan '13
Quoting L☮J:" Normally in a seat that RF, FF and boosters, the booster portion will have an extended expiration date. ... [snip!] ... 3 in 1 seat that fits newborns really well is the Radian. Also, a lot of 3 in 1 or All in one seats make terrible boosters."

i was thinking this also, they look too narrow for a bigger kid. i would really like one that i can use for RF, FF (5 point and than the seat belt.) than buy a booster. (thats the right order right? lol)

3rd Jan '13
Quoting Jennybananna:" Get a diono rxt. 8/10 Year Expiration: The RXT has 2 separate expiration dates. When used with the harness, ... [snip!] ... the harness, the seat expires 10 years from date of manufacture. The manual specifies not to use the seat if it is in a crash."

ahhhh good to know

3rd Jan '13
Quoting Ah TAM:" i was thinking this also, they look too narrow for a bigger kid. i would really like one that i ... [snip!] ... like one that i can use for RF, FF (5 point and than the seat belt.) than buy a booster. (thats the right order right? lol)"

Not sure what you mean by that.

But comfort and value wise, you'll be best off getting a regular convertible, then getting a dedicated booster.

3rd Jan '13
Quoting L☮J:" Not sure what you mean by that. But comfort and value wise, you'll be best off getting a regular convertible, then getting a dedicated booster."

after they use the 5point dont they switch to (still sitting in the seat) but using the cars seatbelt?

Automobile_Safety_1.jpg
like the 3rd picture"booster seat". im assuming no back booster and one with a back r the same step?

3rd Jan '13
Quoting Ah TAM:" after they use the 5point dont they switch to (still sitting in the seat) but using the cars seatbelt? ... [snip!] ... the cars seatbelt? like the 3rd picture"booster seat". im assuming no back booster and one with a back r the same step?"

No, you'll go from a FF harnessed seat to a high back booster. Kids need the support of the HBB til they're a little older.
Then they'll sit in a no back booster til they are old enough to use just the vehicle belts.

You have to remember though, just because a child outgrows the harnessed seat FF, that doesn't mean they are ready for a booster. A child needs to be a minimum of 4 years and 40lbs to sit in a belt positioning booster seat, and they also have to be at a maturity level to sit in it correctly, ie no slouching, no falling asleep, no fidgeting.

3rd Jan '13
Quoting L☮J:" No, you'll go from a FF harnessed seat to a high back booster. Kids need the support of the HBB til they're ... [snip!] ... seat, and they also have to be at a maturity level to sit in it correctly, ie no slouching, no falling asleep, no fidgeting."

got it. thank you.

yes my DD it will take awhile just for the weight. shes still stuck at 30 pounds and shes 3 yr 4months. lol

thank you for all ur help!

3rd Jan '13
Quoting Ah TAM:" got it. thank you. yes my DD it will take awhile just for the weight. shes still stuck at 30 pounds and shes 3 yr 4months. lol thank you for all ur help!"

My 2 yr old and 14 month old weigh as much as your 3 yr old :P

4th Jan '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting L☮J:</b>" My 2 yr old and 14 month old weigh as much as your 3 yr old :P"</blockquote>

Yeaaa shes a wittle one. She'll be seeing someone for that.