26 weeks and on. I need info greenmamabecky☮ TTC since Jul 2013; 18 kids; Enfield, Connecticut 20987 posts
5th Jan '13

Ok so I'm in the hospital. My water broke last night just before 8pm, and I'm only 26 weeks.
I didn't start contracting so they just gave me fluids, antibiotics and a steroid shot for his lungs. They admitted me and I'll be staying here on bed rest until he comes.
If he were to be delivered in the next few days/ weeks, he would be considered a micro preemie?How long am I looking at for a NICU stay for him? What complications am I facing for a baby born that early?
What if I make it to 30 weeeks? 34 weeks? When do they change from micro preemie to preemie?
They are going to induce at 34 weeks if I get that far. If you had a baby born at 34 weeks how did everything go?
ANY information is great. My first son was 10 days overdue and 9lbs so I wasn't expecting this and am kind of freaking out!

Captain K'nuckles ⚓ 1 child; 1 angel baby; Elizabeth, WV, United States 4984 posts
status 5th Jan '13

Depends on how he does, that little he will be in there awhile. DS was born at 35 weeks and had to stay a week.

Maria + Cory = Alexis 17 kids; Middleport, Ohio 1075 posts
5th Jan '13
Quoting Will☮Creedence:" Ok so I'm in the hospital. My water broke last night just before 8pm, and I'm only 26 weeks. I didn't ... [snip!] ... go? ANY information is great. My first son was 10 days overdue and 9lbs so I wasn't expecting this and am kind of freaking out!"

The longer the doctor's can keep the baby in the better. My friend had her son at 30 weeks and he spent almost a month NCIU. Her son was home in time for Christmas and is doing fine.

This is my first and I am already 36 weeks so I can give you much insight but do wish you the best of luck.

Just Andria 4 kids; Houston, Texas 915 posts
5th Jan '13

I had my daughter at 29 wks one at 34 wks (had to stay 2 days for jaundice) a 36wke as well. Nobody can really tell you water to expect as all babies thrive differently. My 29 wkr did exceptional she never had to have a breathing tune but had a cpap for 2 days. Expect lots of iv's and tubes for feeding. In teeny babies there is a plethora of things that can go wrong but none if them are guaranteed. My dd did better than some babies born at 33 wks. They will have you meet with the nicu beforehand. Just remember to ask lots of question and remember you are the mom. I hope you can keep goin for a while longer. (Hugs)

Erin Weyer 2 kids; Batavia, New York 283 posts
5th Jan '13

My son was born at 25weeks4days. He spent 80 days in the NICU. He had a fairly easy time of it. He was on the vent for 4 weeks, cpap for 2, high flow 1, and regular canula for 1 and off all O2 for the remainder of his stay. There are endless complications for micros but no one can tell you whether or not your son will experience any of it. Doctors were talking to me about blindness, deafness, mental retardation, extended need for O2 and possibly death ( i went in to labor at 24weeks). he experienced none of these and is perfectly happy and healthy. He will be 1 year old (9months adjusted) on Jan 20th. He is developing normally, working on crawling, and is already off of the preemie growth chart at just about 20lbs and 28in.

greenmamabecky☮ TTC since Jul 2013; 18 kids; Enfield, Connecticut 20987 posts
5th Jan '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Just Andria:</b>" I had my daughter at 29 wks one at 34 wks (had to stay 2 days for jaundice) a 36wke as well. Nobody can ... [snip!] ... Just remember to ask lots of question and remember you are the mom. I hope you can keep goin for a while longer. (Hugs)"</blockquote>

What questions should I ask?
I asked the high risk doctor too many lol he got pissed and just cut me off and walked out. I HATE hospitals.

5th Jan '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Will☮Creedence:</b>" <blockquote><b>Quoting Just Andria:</b>" I had my daughter at 29 wks one at 34 wks ... [snip!] ... should I ask? I asked the high risk doctor too many lol he got pissed and just cut me off and walked out. I HATE hospitals."</blockquote>

If the don't send a rep from the nicu request to see one first off. Even though they don't want to scare you, you really need to ask what are the worst complication besides death can happen so that you understand a little more if things occur. Do not be afraid to look stupid, this is your baby and you need to know everything. I had my Dh and my best friend go to the nicu and my best friend relayed everything to me such as photos and everything that was going on at that moment. Talk to them about wether or not you will be able to touch him.... A lot of times when something new is goin on they don't want a lot of outside stimuli and usually every nurse will be different. Try to attend as many case management meetings you can. I was fortunate enough to have a good friend work in our nicu so a lot of the nurses would go out of their way for me to take photos and txt them to me. It will quickly become your life and you will learn terms that no mother should know. Try to remember its ok to ask to help. Hopefully you will never have to experience this but if you do there is alot of us here for you to talk to.

5th Jan '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Just Andria:</b>" <blockquote><b>Quoting Will☮Creedence:</b>" <blockquote><b>Quoting ... [snip!] ... ok to ask to help. Hopefully you will never have to experience this but if you do there is alot of us here for you to talk to."</blockquote>

Thank you that made me feel a lot better. It helps a ton that my aunt is a nurse here on the maternity ward so hopefully she will help me out with everything and maybe I can even take a tour of the nicu at some point.

5th Jan '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Will☮Creedence:</b>" <blockquote><b>Quoting Just Andria:</b>" <blockquote><b>Quoting Will☮Creedence:</b>" ... [snip!] ... maternity ward so hopefully she will help me out with everything and maybe I can even take a tour of the nicu at some point."</blockquote>

That's AWSOME u know someone! Try to keep calm so you can keep em in there! Either way you are goin to be there a while. Hang in there momma. Msg me if you need anything!

5th Jan '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Just Andria:</b>" <blockquote><b>Quoting Will☮Creedence:</b>" <blockquote><b>Quoting ... [snip!] ... so you can keep em in there! Either way you are goin to be there a while. Hang in there momma. Msg me if you need anything!"</blockquote>

Thank you so much.

Summerfrost 51 kids; Massachusetts 5748 posts
status 5th Jan '13

They'll basically keep you pregnant as long as you don't get a fever and/or don't go into labor until 34 weeks. After that, it's considered safer to deliver than to keep you pregnant. Micro-preemies are any babies born between 23 and 28 weeks. Normally any babies born under 2lbs. The babies stay in the NICU roughly until their due date.

Right now your goal should be making it to 28 weeks. After that, the long term issues are minimal and the survival rate is the same as a regular newborn.

My water broke with my first son at 22 weeks. I was on hospital bedrest for a little over a week until i went into labor on my own when his foot p*******d (stuck through my cervix). Hospital bedrest was no fun at all.

I'm so glad they were able to keep you from contracting and able to give you the steroid shots. :) Those are very big deals. Hang in there!

Diamond Tate 1 child; Texas 76 posts
5th Jan '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Will☮Creedence:</b>" Ok so I'm in the hospital. My water broke last night just before 8pm, and I'm only 26 weeks. I didn't ... [snip!] ... go? ANY information is great. My first son was 10 days overdue and 9lbs so I wasn't expecting this and am kind of freaking out!"</blockquote>

I had my son at 25 weeks and 2 days. My due date was March 13th. The nicu stay is until your due date which for my son was 15 weeks. My son is doing great and the nurses are amazing. It's nerve wrecking because you can't hold your baby when you want or directly bf if that's your plan.

vagina. 3 kids; Titz, No, Germany 30918 posts
5th Jan '13

My niece was born at 28 weeks 13 years ago. she was 2lbs 11oz im not sure how long she was at birth but she was tiny! She was born in September and she.came home just before Christmas.

hope your LO stays in for a little bit longer! every week will be a huge accomplishment!

thinking of you!

5th Jan '13

Thank you so much for all the stories ladies they're making me feel so much better!

twingals 2 kids; Ontario 600 posts
5th Jan '13
Quoting Will☮Creedence:" Ok so I'm in the hospital. My water broke last night just before 8pm, and I'm only 26 weeks. I didn't ... [snip!] ... go? ANY information is great. My first son was 10 days overdue and 9lbs so I wasn't expecting this and am kind of freaking out!"

My girls were born at 34 weeks. They weighed 4 lb 2 and 4 lb 15. One needed CPAP to help with her breathing for 36 hours. They stayed in NICU for 2 weeks exactly while they received NG tube feedings and learned how to breastfeed. At 34 weeks they are usually pretty well developed and feeding is usually the main problem area. The coordination of suck, swallow, breath is one of the last things to develop. Good luck to you. I had in hospital bedrest from 29 weeks and it was horrible! I'm sorry it is happening to you too!