5 week old fever? MrsSinatra 1 child; 1 angel baby; Phoenix, Arizona 990 posts
6th Jan '13

I think my 5 week old has a fever... im gonna take his temp and see, if he does... what do you do? He has an appt on tuesday... do you give them tylenol?

Marissaaaa. Due May 17 (twins); 2 kids; Georgia 90 posts
6th Jan '13
Quoting MrsSinatra:" I think my 5 week old has a fever... im gonna take his temp and see, if he does... what do you do? He has an appt on tuesday... do you give them tylenol?"

He is too young right now for any meds. Most doctors hold off on medicine until baby is over 3 months. If anything, take some clothing off to see if it will help lower the temp

MrsSinatra 1 child; 1 angel baby; Phoenix, Arizona 990 posts
6th Jan '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Marissaaaa.:</b>" He is too young right now for any meds. Most doctors hold off on medicine until baby is over 3 months. If anything, take some clothing off to see if it will help lower the temp"</blockquote>

I kinda figured that. As long as its not crazy high, he should just ride it out... and if it gets higher and doesnt go away, do you go to the er? How long is to long for a fever?

Jennybananna 2 kids; Gilbert, AZ, United States 25079 posts
6th Jan '13

100.4 is considered a high fever in a 5 week old and you should call the doctor if its this high. The hospital would most likely give tylenol after making sure there was nothing else going on (UTI, other illness ect) You can do a luke warm bath to try and bring it down naturally.
When my daughter was 8 weeks she had a 100.6 fever I called the nurses line and they had me bring her in, i asked if I could give her tylenol first and they said they would rather me not until she was checked out. She was pretty much her normal self just a bit cranky. The doctor looked her over, they did a cath for a urine sample to check for a UTI then they gave tylenol. Her fever got up to 100.9. If I had it all to do over again personally I would of just given her a small dose of tylenol at home then waited to see what happened.

user banned Vancouver, British Columbia 5643 posts
6th Jan '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Jennybananna:</b>" 100.4 is considered a high fever in a 5 week old and you should call the doctor if its this high. The ... [snip!] ... it all to do over again personally I would of just given her a small dose of tylenol at home then waited to see what happened. "</blockquote>

This. If it is near or passes 100.4 bring your LO to the doctors or hospital.

Nut ღ Meg Beverly Hills, CA, United States 40239 posts
6th Jan '13
Quoting Jennybananna:" 100.4 is considered a high fever in a 5 week old and you should call the doctor if its this high. The ... [snip!] ... it all to do over again personally I would of just given her a small dose of tylenol at home then waited to see what happened. "

:!::!:

*D & S's Momma * 2 kids; 2 angel babies; Winter Haven, Florida 1863 posts
7th Jan '13

The hospital told me anything over 99 is high in a newborn that young...but depending on where you take it makes a difference too. Under the arm they told me it should not be over 99 and rectally nothing over 100

MrsSinatra 1 child; 1 angel baby; Phoenix, Arizona 990 posts
8th Jan '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting *D & S's Momma *:</b>" The hospital told me anything over 99 is high in a newborn that young...but depending on where you take ... [snip!] ... on where you take it makes a difference too. Under the arm they told me it should not be over 99 and rectally nothing over 100"</blockquote>

Thanks lady. He didn't have a fever, thankfully... his temp was 99.4 rectally.