Reply
when to take toddler to doctor? Honey&E 6 kids; Connecticut 3752 posts
6th Jan '13

DD is 2.5yo never really been sick before.



Yesterday she vomited twice. Slept most of the day. Today more alert but glassy red eyes. Shivering after her bath - fever got as high as 102. We've been alternating motrin and tylenol.



Initially I thought a 24 hour bug but now she is stuffy with a runny nose, slight cough.



Would you take her in to the Dr.?

Bad Things 1 child; Blacksburg, SC, United States 17256 posts
status 6th Jan '13

Is she taking in fluids?



Is she acting lethargic?

Honey&E 6 kids; Connecticut 3752 posts
6th Jan '13
Quoting JessieLeeAnne:" Is she taking in fluids? Is she acting lethargic? "


Today she drank/ate well. Much less lethargic then yesterday - she did ask to go to bed a 6pm.

MommaNoodle 2 kids; Pennsylvania 13115 posts
6th Jan '13
Quoting Honey&E:" Today she drank/ate well. Much less lethargic then yesterday - she did ask to go to bed a 6pm. "


does she still have the fever? is it coming down with meds?

Bad Things 1 child; Blacksburg, SC, United States 17256 posts
status 6th Jan '13

Hm...I would wait to see if the fever will break overnight, if not, set up an appointment tomorrow.

Honey&E 6 kids; Connecticut 3752 posts
6th Jan '13
Quoting MommaNoodle:" does she still have the fever? is it coming down with meds?"


Fever was 100.5 after a cool bath. Her fever does come down with meds.

*~AngelEyes~* 2 kids; 1 angel baby; Memphis, Tennessee 10431 posts
status 6th Jan '13

As long as fever is down, stays down and she isn't acting like she can't breathe or anything she should be fine.

MommaNoodle 2 kids; Pennsylvania 13115 posts
6th Jan '13
Quoting Honey&E:" Fever was 100.5 after a cool bath. Her fever does come down with meds. "


i would probably not take her in unless the fever spikes again. but, idk. you could always call tomorrow and see what the dr has to say. but it sounds like she is starting to recover now...

ma ♥ 1 child; California 63053 posts
6th Jan '13

If the fever goes down, it's fine. As long as the fever doesn't go up to 104 & as long as she's drinking enough liquid so she doesn't get dehydrated. If she starts acting lethargic (not just tired).. I would take her in, but other than that, no I wouldn't. Hope she gets over it soon!!

Honey&E 6 kids; Connecticut 3752 posts
6th Jan '13
Quoting MommaNoodle:" i would probably not take her in unless the fever spikes again. but, idk. you could always call tomorrow and see what the dr has to say. but it sounds like she is starting to recover now..."


Thanks ladies. I'm a laid back doctor person and wanted to make sure I wasn't being a crappy mom. We'll wait and see how tomorrow goes.

MommaNoodle 2 kids; Pennsylvania 13115 posts
6th Jan '13
Quoting Honey&E:" Thanks ladies. I'm a laid back doctor person and wanted to make sure I wasn't being a crappy mom. We'll wait and see how tomorrow goes. "


my daughter (6 yrs old) got sick around halloween. she was puking, and she had a fever. i was up all night taking her temp, making sure she wasn't choking on her vomit, and giving meds, lol. i did that for 2 nights. during the day her temp would drop a bit, but then one afternoon it went up to about 103 and i was like :shock: i called the dr and it was the one on call (not her regular pedi). he didn't seem concerned. but i made her an appt the next day and it turned out she had strep. i would never have thought about that. her voice did sound a little weird the next day, so that started to make sense. but still... i actually got the idea to ask about strep from another mom on here who said the same thing happened with her son and that's what it was.



so..... i would say she's okay. but there's always that little chance there is something more. good luck!