1 yr old passing out from crying? Mama of *3* TTC since Feb 2013; 3 kids; Wisconsin 15834 posts
14th Jan '13

This is a post for a friend of mine. Her son just turned 1 this past weekend and here is what she said to me:

He fell off morgies bed.....which you know they aren't very high so he didn't get hurt but he cried so hard he was holding his breath and I blew in his face but he didn't catch his breath...then he was doing this weird cry and his eyes rolled and he just layed his head on my chest for a min and then sat himself up and cried normal for a min and then calmed down and was fine.

Any suggestions? She asked me what to do and I'm not sure what to say. She said he has done it twice now in the past couple of days! Anyone else have experience with a child passing out from crying?

justanothamotha Due January 20; 130 kids; Climax, Michigan 5120 posts
14th Jan '13

He needs a Dr assessment. Even if she thinks it is too short of a fall to hurt him, that is not normal & any abnormal behavior after a fall is a reason to go to ER.

Blythe. 1 child; Indiana 22037 posts
14th Jan '13

Passing out after a fall is not good. He needs to be seen

Ashley&Kai Due July 14; 1 child; Missouri 119 posts
14th Jan '13
Quoting L&B +1:" This is a post for a friend of mine. Her son just turned 1 this past weekend and here is what she said ... [snip!] ... She said he has done it twice now in the past couple of days! Anyone else have experience with a child passing out from crying?"

I would take him to a doctor to be completely sure he is ok. My 2 month old will hold his breath but as soon as I blow in his mouth he breathes/screams. If he passed out I would freak out. I just don't think that is normal.

I Stab People 3 kids; Zambia 6604 posts
14th Jan '13

eh. my kid holds his breath too. he never passed out but some kids do do that. go to a doc if shes concerened

Leapling'12 1 child; Massachusetts 380 posts
14th Jan '13

i would have definitely taken him in... he could have a head injury... my son fell from a 3ft bed and had a huge bruise /bloody nose and they did a full work up and ct scan at the hospital. the eye rolling/passing out has me definitely conerned for your friends kid.

cman+3•°19weeks°• Due December 15; 1 child; 2 angel babies; Tennessee 2273 posts
status 14th Jan '13
Quoting L&B +1:" This is a post for a friend of mine. Her son just turned 1 this past weekend and here is what she said ... [snip!] ... She said he has done it twice now in the past couple of days! Anyone else have experience with a child passing out from crying?"

my DS did that a few times. he eventually grew out of it and stopped doing it but he never fell off anything just crying in general i ignored it and didnt give him EXTRA attention... his pedi said he was attention seeking.. but gl to your friend its scary so hopefully her ds will stop it soon .

Mama of *3* TTC since Feb 2013; 3 kids; Wisconsin 15834 posts
14th Jan '13
Quoting justanothamotha:" He needs a Dr assessment. Even if she thinks it is too short of a fall to hurt him, that is not normal & any abnormal behavior after a fall is a reason to go to ER."

The first time he did this he hadnt fallen...His sister took a toy away from him and he started crying and passed out from crying. After he had fallen was the 2nd time. She said he cries so hard he holds his breath and then passes out for a minute from it :?

14th Jan '13
Quoting Ashley&Kai:" I would take him to a doctor to be completely sure he is ok. My 2 month old will hold his breath but ... [snip!] ... soon as I blow in his mouth he breathes/screams. If he passed out I would freak out. I just don't think that is normal. "

My brother would hold his breath when he was mad and then he would pass out from it lol. Not sure if they did anything to stop him or what his doctor at the time said. But, hes a healthy 21 yr old today so I dont know haha

14th Jan '13
Quoting Leapling'12:" i would have definitely taken him in... he could have a head injury... my son fell from a 3ft bed and ... [snip!] ... did a full work up and ct scan at the hospital. the eye rolling/passing out has me definitely conerned for your friends kid."

I guess I should have mentioned that he has done it before...same thing--crying, eye rolling and passing out. He hadnt fallen when he did it before this

willoughfam Due May 26 (girl); 3 kids; Burlington, North Carolina 331 posts
14th Jan '13

Exact same thing happened to my son. He was running down the fall carrying a plastic teapot and fell and I am not sure if he hit the teapot or the floor with his head. Either way, I heard him cry and figured nothing was wrong, other than he fell. I asked my niece to go get him and when she walked in the living room he had a cry face, but no sound was coming out. I grabbed him and shook him a little and his eyes rolled up in his head and he went limp. We called 911 and rushed him to the ER. Since then he has done it many times. Luckily, when a child holds their breath and passes out, they start to breathe again. Tell her to talk to his doctor about it though.

14th Jan '13
Quoting my♥callsmemom:" my DS did that a few times. he eventually grew out of it and stopped doing it but he never fell off ... [snip!] ... attention... his pedi said he was attention seeking.. but gl to your friend its scary so hopefully her ds will stop it soon ."

I was kind of thinking about that, the attention thing. She said hes getting up every night at the same time for a bottle too, which I was told was NOT needed at a year old. Might be his way to get attention, I'm not sure. She has his 1 yr check up tomorrow so she will ask his pedi, but she was freaking out about it! So scary

K[♥ E&C] 2 kids; Nevada 25704 posts
14th Jan '13

He's a breath holder.

I am, my son is and my daughter is. Don't blow in his face. Don't shake him. Don't do anything but hold him. They will catch their breath. Sometimes they pass out. A doctor isn't going to tell her any different.

The main key is for everyone around him to be calm. Both of my kids have passed out numerous times from crying so hard they can't catch their breath.

justanothamotha Due January 20; 130 kids; Climax, Michigan 5120 posts
14th Jan '13
Quoting L&B +1:" The first time he did this he hadnt fallen...His sister took a toy away from him and he started crying ... [snip!] ... After he had fallen was the 2nd time. She said he cries so hard he holds his breath and then passes out for a minute from it :?"

You may want to edit your OP then - because it says he did this after a fall & that is the ONLY time it says he does this.

Either way he should be seen. My friend's LO does this & they blew it off for a long time & now he has been dx with a seizure disorder. Some kids may breath hold & some are having seizures & the ONLY thing that can really tell the difference is equipment, not human eyes.

user banned California 36390 posts
14th Jan '13

Ugh my kid did this crap tok. When they pass out they start breathimg again so it'a not that.big.of a deal. I just let him do it a.few.times and ignored.him and he stopped