2 week old eating 4+ oz? keylimepie 1 child; Massachusetts 3527 posts
6th Jun '08

I exclusively formula-feed my 2-week old. For the past several days, she has been eating between 3-4 oz every four hours or so. Starting yesterday, she has been hungrier -- eating the full four ounce bottle every 3.5 hours like clockwork. If I didn't take the bottle away from her after it is finished, I think she would continue to eat! Should I up the bottle amount by 1/2 ounce or so to see if she wants more? She seems still hungry sometimes after eating 4 oz., but I do not want to overfeed her. It seems like a lot of food for a two-week old, but the pediatrician said, she'll tell me when she's had enough, and to feed her when she asks for it. Thoughts? Thanks!

Kenzie's ♥ Mama 1 child; Texas 2212 posts
6th Jun '08

Kenzie did the same thing.. and I just switched her formula wed and shes upped 2more oz. now shes trying to eat 8oz and shes a month old.

my mom told me { who is an RN } to give her less of the formula and get some of the cereal like maybe half an oz - 1oz cereal and the rest formula and see how she does on that ...sometimes I just think that formula doesnt have enough ass behind it to fill them up ya know?

Heather&Landon! 1 child; Poplar Bluff, Missouri 2720 posts
6th Jun '08

My baby started eating 4 oz at 3-4 weeks.. I think

Landy Ray 2 kids; Horn Lake, Mississippi 3020 posts
6th Jun '08

I was told by pedi's and my nutritionist to NEVER put cereal in a baby bottle. My son ate 4oz every 3 hours at that age, but I didn't up his feedings much..Probably every 2-3 months. He was at 8oz every 4-5 hours at a year, just like he was supposed to be (had he been strictly bottle).

Momma Squishy of 3.5 19 kids; Iowa 13929 posts
6th Jun '08

Aiden is doing the same thing, and then,after the 4 ounces, an hour later he'll act like hes STARVING!! So I give him another ounce, and he passes out lol

GlamChic Due August 7; 1 child; North Carolina 4585 posts
6th Jun '08

Some babies eat more than others, if he's not throwing up afterveating then he's ok. You should start giving him more milk but not any cereal untill he's at least 4 months.

vel2n 2 kids; Houston, Texas 19948 posts
6th Jun '08
Quoting Momma Squishy:
vel2n 2 kids; Houston, Texas 19948 posts
6th Jun '08

the cereal in the bottle thing should only be done under the orders of a pedi. a lot of mothers on here will tell you to NEVER do it and get really mean about it. but they dont know your baby, your pedi does. some babies are simply not satisfied with formula and always want more more more. so bring it up with your pedi and try the cereal IF he/she tells you to.

GlamChic Due August 7; 1 child; North Carolina 4585 posts
6th Jun '08
Quoting vel2n:
keylimepie 1 child; Massachusetts 3527 posts
6th Jun '08

Thanks everyone. She is definitely still too young for cereal. I gave her a little more formula at this last feeding (maybe 1/4 to 1/2 ounce from a new bottle), and she spit up quite a bit, so I think perhaps she isn't ready to up the amount of food on the feedings. Maybe for now, she'll have to eat more often, but after this last feeding, I'm not sure her tummy is big enough for more food. I feel bad that she just spit up so much. I have also noticed that she is falling asleep very quickly after feedings (also since yesterday) -- for example, I can hardly keep her awake long enough for a bath, even. So perhaps she is just going through a bit of a growth spurt -- eating all her bottle, eating more often and sleeping in between.