1 month old won't stop crying NatashaHarper 1 child; Guildford, United Kingdom 687 posts
17th Jan '13

My DD is 1 month and 5 days old and since this morning she has not stopped crying! (It is 11pm here in the UK)
She never acts like this, it's totally abnormal behaviour for her.
Today I have bounced her and it settles her for less than a minute and she's just screaming again, and when i try to bounce her again she just screams through it.
Me and SO have taken her for a walk, she is clean, fed, winded, we have been cuddling her the whole time and I have no idea what is wrong!
I feel so terrible that I can't help her!
And it's not just crying, it is full-blown screaming at times, to the point where she stops herself breathing and goes bright red.
Anyone know what could possibly be wrong?
Please Help!!!

melindapple 1 child; Michigan 5425 posts
17th Jan '13

Maybe she has gas? constipation? colic? acid reflux?

~mama~ 4 kids; Susanville, CA, United States 1556 posts
17th Jan '13

Maybe gas, that is usually DDs problem when she wont stop fussing. I suggest getting the gas drops, they help soooo much! Also, I take her in the shower because it calms her right down no matter what is wrong

NatashaHarper 1 child; Guildford, United Kingdom 687 posts
17th Jan '13
Quoting melindapple:" Maybe she has gas? constipation? colic? "

She is pooping fine so it's no constipation, can colic bother her during the day? I heard it was mainly at night, or is that wrong info?

SO has been bouncing her and she has stopped now, but as soon as he stops she starts again... is that gas? and what can i do to help her if it is?
thanks!

motherofboys 3 kids; Milton-Freewater, Oregon 2263 posts
17th Jan '13

I believe when a baby cries and cries and no reason can be found it is often referred to as colic. Which usually starts within the first few months of life and is essentially near constant crying for no known reason. Usually it doesn't last for much more than the first few months of life either. It is highly frustrating, but there are loads of information and suggestions out there for how to soothe a colicky baby.

Pickle Due September 2 (boy); 1 child; 1 angel baby; Kentucky 4228 posts
17th Jan '13
Quoting NatashaHarper:" She is pooping fine so it's no constipation, can colic bother her during the day? I heard it was mainly ... [snip!] ... she has stopped now, but as soon as he stops she starts again... is that gas? and what can i do to help her if it is? thanks!"

My son is a going to be a month old tomorrow and we use gas drops with him but i've found the gripe water to work better.

17th Jan '13
Quoting ~mama~:" Maybe gas, that is usually DDs problem when she wont stop fussing. I suggest getting the gas drops, they ... [snip!] ... the gas drops, they help soooo much! Also, I take her in the shower because it calms her right down no matter what is wrong"

Thank you!
She is never like this, it's just worrying (i'm such a newbie haha!)

melindapple 1 child; Michigan 5425 posts
17th Jan '13
Quoting NatashaHarper:" She is pooping fine so it's no constipation, can colic bother her during the day? I heard it was mainly ... [snip!] ... she has stopped now, but as soon as he stops she starts again... is that gas? and what can i do to help her if it is? thanks!"

colic can happen whenever, as for the gas, feel LO's tummy and if it's hard they usually have gas.

motherofboys 3 kids; Milton-Freewater, Oregon 2263 posts
17th Jan '13

I always found massaging my son's bellies when they were babies was a great help in getting the gas moved along. You find a little hard spot on their belly and gently press with your fingers until it moves on, and soon you start hearing everything come out the other end. It's fairly amusing as well as helpful.

17th Jan '13
Quoting motherofboys:" I believe when a baby cries and cries and no reason can be found it is often referred to as colic. Which ... [snip!] ... It is highly frustrating, but there are loads of information and suggestions out there for how to soothe a colicky baby."

I gave her some colic drops earlier and they haven't helped (obviously they need time to work) but if it is colic i don't think that they are going to help!
I will do more research on how to soothe a colicky baby :D

17th Jan '13
Quoting motherofboys:" I always found massaging my son's bellies when they were babies was a great help in getting the gas ... [snip!] ... until it moves on, and soon you start hearing everything come out the other end. It's fairly amusing as well as helpful."

we have massaged a few times but will keep at it! thank you!

Danielle: Jack&Basil'sMom 2 kids; Raleigh, North Carolina 14528 posts
17th Jan '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting motherofboys:</b>" I believe when a baby cries and cries and no reason can be found it is often referred to as colic. Which ... [snip!] ... It is highly frustrating, but there are loads of information and suggestions out there for how to soothe a colicky baby."</blockquote>

Colic is not crying for no reason ...

17th Jan '13
Quoting melindapple:" colic can happen whenever, as for the gas, feel LO's tummy and if it's hard they usually have gas."

It's not hard... i think it's probably colic then :/

17th Jan '13
Quoting Danielle: Jack&Basil'sMom:" <blockquote><b>Quoting motherofboys:</b>" I believe when a baby cries and cries and ... [snip!] ... and suggestions out there for how to soothe a colicky baby."</blockquote> Colic is not crying for no reason ..."

She meant for no clear and visible reason :roll:

ChubbyCheekers 2 kids; New York 3117 posts
17th Jan '13

Try to relax (as much as that's possible), because babies can sense when you're stressed out! Reduce stimulation, maybe swaddle her or try skin-to-skin.