9 month check up/pedi vent Kimber's Mommy 1 child; South Carolina 4272 posts
24th Jan '13

so, DD had her 9 month wellness check up today. she weighs almost 21 pounds, is 28 1/2 inches long, and her head is a little over 18 inches in diameter. so, on the chart, she is in the 75th percentile for height and weight and a hair over 95th percentile for her head. lol.

anyway, on to my mini vent :)

i hate her pediatrician's office. she doesn't have a real doctor... she was basically defaulted to this office because it's inside the hospital she was born in and she's on medicaid right now. at first, i didn't like the fact that she wouldn't have the same doctor every time. now i hate the fact that she DOES have the same person every time and she annoys the shit out of me. she never asks me what DD is doing and how she is developmentally. i mean, i'm sure she's 100% fine, but it'd be nice for her to talk about it so i know for sure. she said i shouldn't feed her puffs at all (she has a few organic puffs every once in a while for a snack, woo, big deal) and she also said if she wakes up in the middle of the night hungry that i shouldn't feed her. i've never heard a damn pediatrician say you shouldn't feed your infant during the night.
she has always been upset that i don't get DD's vaccinations done there, also. i get them done at the health department. i mean she gets REALLY mad about it. well, i opted not to get a flu shot for DD. i don't see a reason for it. she's not out around a bunch of people and she's always home with me. if she was in daycare, it might be a different story and i'd probably get it then. the point is, i don't see a reason for her to get it right now and i'm not going to give her a shot of something i don't feel is going to help her. she tried to guilt me into getting her one anyway. i hate this woman and i knew this would be an issue with her. she and the nurse asked me five times. i almost laughed by the fifth time i was asked. it was made pretty clear after that that i did NOT want her to get a flu shot.

nurse: and did you get her a flu shot at the health department?
me: no
nurse: did you want to get her one?
me: no, she'll be fine.
nurse: and you realize that this is the worst flu season we've had in five years?
me: she'll be fine. she doesn't need it.
nurse: ok

nurse practitioner (she isn't even a doctor... which is fine, i just can't stand this woman): and you're not getting her a flu shot?
me: no, she doesn't need it.
nurse practitioner: so you don't want to protect her? (i think this is the moment i started to kind of giggle an annoyed giggle to myself... like i don't protect my kid)
me: she'll be fine.
nurse practitioner: *laughs* you know, it's the kids whose parents didn't get them a flu shot that are being hospitalized. it's just like polio... people think that it's not out there anymore.

she got her vaccine for polio. i know how to prevent the flu and she's 100% healthy with an amazing immune system. i think she got it from her daddy :wink:
anyways, it kind of pissed me off when she was implying that i'm not doing what's right for my kid by not getting her the flu shot. all this woman ever tells me is what NOT to do. don't feed her in the middle of the night, don't feed her puffs, you're killing her by not getting this shot.

ugh... ok so maybe this wasn't a mini vent. sorry :)

MommyToWesley 1 child; Delaware 3847 posts
24th Jan '13

Can you call different offices around the area and ask who else is accepting new patients with Medicaid? You can change your dr with Medicaid- they should have an approved list of physicians for you to look at also.

Kimber's Mommy 1 child; South Carolina 4272 posts
24th Jan '13
Quoting MommyToWesley:" Can you call different offices around the area and ask who else is accepting new patients with Medicaid? ... [snip!] ... with Medicaid? You can change your dr with Medicaid- they should have an approved list of physicians for you to look at also."

i forgot to add that. i call around to every single pediatrician in my immediate and surrounding area every few weeks. no one is accepting new medicaid patients. i've had scheduling problems with this place also. she completely missed her 6 month appointment, so she hasn't been to her wellness check up since 6 months. i've been so frustrated with this place, i've thought of going somewhere else and just paying for her appointments 100% she's a healthy baby, so she wouldn't need to see them all the time or anything. we will be putting her on SO's insurance when open enrollment comes around.

Supafly★ 2 kids; Poland 14109 posts
24th Jan '13

That's annoying. I hate clinics through hospitals. They treat everyone like garbage.

DS's pedi said I shouldn't feed DS at night so many times, but he wakes up 10 times, not a couple[I give in and feed him anyway, I just want sleep lol]. His head is in the 99th percentile and the rest of him in in 75th as well. I also declined the flu shot and she just had me sign a paper claiming that I refused it because it's mandatory in NY.

Like the first poster said, I'm sure there are private doctors that take Medicaid too. Our pedi is private and we're on Medicaid.

Mom3Boys1gurl 36 kids; Iowa 1889 posts
24th Jan '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Kimber's Mommy:</b>" so, DD had her 9 month wellness check up today. she weighs almost 21 pounds, is 28 1/2 inches long, and ... [snip!] ... night, don't feed her puffs, you're killing her by not getting this shot. ugh... ok so maybe this wasn't a mini vent. sorry :)"</blockquote>

Why did your pedi say not to give her puffs?? My kids don't get the flu shot, their doctor hasnt even asked me about it.

24th Jan '13
Quoting Supafly★:" That's annoying. I hate clinics through hospitals. They treat everyone like garbage. DS's pedi said ... [snip!] ... the first poster said, I'm sure there are private doctors that take Medicaid too. Our pedi is private and we're on Medicaid. "

DD hardly ever wakes up in the middle of the night for ANY reason. the only time she does is if she went to bed too early and obviously gets hungry in the middle of the night. she said something about it causing infection or whatever. she said she needs to go 8-10 hours without eating at night. i've never heard that shit before in my life. why would you really not feed a hungry infant? and also, DD only does this at all when she's going through a growth spurt. the pedi said to give her water if she wakes up. :roll:

Supafly★ 2 kids; Poland 14109 posts
24th Jan '13
Quoting Kimber's Mommy:" DD hardly ever wakes up in the middle of the night for ANY reason. the only time she does is if she ... [snip!] ... also, DD only does this at all when she's going through a growth spurt. the pedi said to give her water if she wakes up. :roll:"

Some of the shit pediatricians give to parents is really outdated and ridiculous. You have to remember that they just go by their handbook, which was probably given to them while they were in med school 10 years ago, and rarely you find one that actually brushes up on their research. YOU know your baby much better, you know when she's hungry, and you know what to do about it.

24th Jan '13
Quoting Mom3Boys1gurl:" <blockquote><b>Quoting Kimber's Mommy:</b>" so, DD had her 9 month wellness check up ... [snip!] ... Why did your pedi say not to give her puffs?? My kids don't get the flu shot, their doctor hasnt even asked me about it."

she said they're "unhealthy" and not to give her foods that are dry? again, never heard that before.
she specifically told me to cook sweet potatoes and cut them up small for her to pick up and feed herself and we DO this occasionally. she also said to grate apples with a cheese grater and let her play with those and eat them. that's a good idea, but i've never been told not to give a baby puffs. she likes them. she has organic sweet potato puffs. she'll probably eat like 10-15 a day IF that.

24th Jan '13
Quoting Supafly★:" Some of the shit pediatricians give to parents is really outdated and ridiculous. You have to remember ... [snip!] ... brushes up on their research. YOU know your baby much better, you know when she's hungry, and you know what to do about it. "

most definitely. DD likes water, also, but if she's hungry, then she wants formula. she will absolutely refuse to drink water if she's not just thirsty.

Mom3Boys1gurl 36 kids; Iowa 1889 posts
24th Jan '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Kimber's Mommy:</b>" she said they're "unhealthy" and not to give her foods that are dry? again, never heard that before. ... [snip!] ... not to give a baby puffs. she likes them. she has organic sweet potato puffs. she'll probably eat like 10-15 a day IF that."</blockquote>

I have gave all my kids puffs. My daughter loves them.

24th Jan '13
Quoting Mom3Boys1gurl:" <blockquote><b>Quoting Kimber's Mommy:</b>" she said they're "unhealthy" and not to ... [snip!] ... she'll probably eat like 10-15 a day IF that."</blockquote> I have gave all my kids puffs. My daughter loves them."

every kid i know has eaten puffs.

Vitameatavegamin 19 kids; League City, Texas 5828 posts
24th Jan '13

Pushy. It's like when they ask who their dentist is every single visit, I tell them we're not taking them until they get their first adult teeth. And give me the 3rd degree about why I should start now. It's my decision and my choice and I have my reasons. I am at an office where I usually see a different doctor every time, but I have seen a few doctors a few times between all 3 kids appointments. All but one of them is all pushy, but one of them is sooo nice and pleasant. She doesn't question anything I decide and always asks how they are developing and gives suggestions on how to help in areas they are lacking. I wish I could see her every time!

Tori Loutzenhiser 2 kids; Nebraska 236 posts
24th Jan '13

Are you comfortable taking your baby to a family doctor? Normally they have a more open schedule and Medicaid will approve them too. Both of my kids see a family doctor and I really like him as a doctor. He even agreed that I will know what is ok for my baby to eat or not eat with the exception of honey and peanut butter.

24th Jan '13
Quoting Lady GooGoo
Vitameatavegamin 19 kids; League City, Texas 5828 posts
24th Jan '13
Quoting Kimber's Mommy:" i've had one nice doctor at this place. ONE... and i saw her once. i saw her for DD's two week check ... [snip!] ... one. she thought they were still accepting new medicaid patients, but i called them and they aren't :( back to square one."

Sorry mama. Overall I'm very happy with my doctor's office. I do wish we could see the same doctor every time, but even the others doctors that question are still very nice ladies. Pushy. But nice, they try to be as nice as possibly about it lol. Still annoying to go through the same conversation almost every visit.