4 AM feeding?! HELP! Tricia♥ [+4Boys] 4 kids; Indiana 5818 posts
27th Jan '13

The twins are now 6 months old and are on a strict schedule, and it's been going great. They were finally sleeping through the night until the past week or so, now he have a very pesky 4am feeding. The pediatrician says they do not need it because they are 20 lbs each and should be sleeping way better at night. They have a bedtime routine and everything. They have 5 6oz bottles a day, and have baby food for dinner only. Their last bottle is at 8pm and they sleep until 4am, feed and then back to sleep until they are up for the day between 6:30am and 7:30am. I don't know how to kick this 4am feeding. They really don't need that 6th bottle. What can I do?

I want to see if I'm missing anything before we continue sleep training.

ETA: They will only take an ounce or 2 at 4am and then just want to play! So I do know it is truly not hunger.

P3RvYmCp3rv 2 kids; Carlyle, Illinois 11904 posts
27th Jan '13

If they are hungry why not feed them? Would you like it if you were hungry and somebody kept denying you food and you couldn't understand? I mean one feeding in the middle of the night not a biggie. Also they may be going through a growth spurt.

Chibs 2 kids; Missouri 12147 posts
27th Jan '13

If they're hungry feed them
My sons pedi tried to tell me stop feeding him throughout the night andet him CIO bc "he didn't need to eat at night"

user banned Shreveport, Louisiana 66739 posts
27th Jan '13

If they are waking, then they need it. Their weight is not indicative of them needing the food or not. It just means they probably aren't going to fall off the curve if they dont eat it. It doesn't mean that they wont be hungry and starving and sad because no one will feed them though. Let your babies tell you when they are hungry.

October2011 2 kids; Pennsylvania 6915 posts
status 27th Jan '13

my son was waking for a bottle til about 12 months old. He slept thru alot of nights but occasionally woke for an early morning bottle..pediatrician said its normal. I'd just feed them.

Tricia♥ [+4Boys] 4 kids; Indiana 5818 posts
27th Jan '13
Quoting P3RvYmCp3rv:" If they are hungry why not feed them? Would you like it if you were hungry and somebody kept denying ... [snip!] ... understand? I mean one feeding in the middle of the night not a biggie. Also they may be going through a growth spurt. "

Its a biggie. Feeding them both means I am up for an hour and a half. And they usually only take an ounce or 2 and don't want anything to do with it after that.

ℕightingale 1 child; Mississippi 7931 posts
status 27th Jan '13

If they are hungry feed them. Around that age they are more alert during the day and don't feed as often as they should and they tend to wake up to eat.

MunchkinWrangler 4 kids; Rīga, Latvia 46847 posts
27th Jan '13

Growth spurt. Denying them the nutrients their body is craving would be ridiculous. They are young. If they were over 9 months I would suggest offering just water when they woke and see if that would curb their night wakings. But, hell my nine month old still gets up at least once at night to nurse. If hes hungry I dont deny him access.

27th Jan '13
Quoting Glo♥:" If they are hungry feed them. Around that age they are more alert during the day and don't feed as often as they should and they tend to wake up to eat."

I wish. They eat every 3 hours during the day.

KillerMombie 3 kids; Belle Chasse, Louisiana 28282 posts
27th Jan '13

Damn. If ONLY... My son was still up twice a night at 6 months and ate a lot more than that throughout the day. If they didn't need that feeding, they wouldn't wake up hungry. I promise they aren't just getting up to snack and watch infomercials, hehe :D

27th Jan '13
Quoting KillerMombie:" Damn. If ONLY... My son was still up twice a night at 6 months and ate a lot more than that throughout ... [snip!] ... need that feeding, they wouldn't wake up hungry. I promise they aren't just getting up to snack and watch infomercials, hehe :D"

They're not hungry though. They drink a little and then want to play!!

user banned Shreveport, Louisiana 66739 posts
27th Jan '13
Quoting Tricia♥ [+4Boys]:" Its a biggie. Feeding them both means I am up for an hour and a half. And they usually only take an ounce or 2 and don't want anything to do with it after that."

I dont think anyone will tell you not to feed your babies because its an inconvenience.

October2011 2 kids; Pennsylvania 6915 posts
status 27th Jan '13
Quoting Tricia♥ [+4Boys]:" They're not hungry though. They drink a little and then want to play!!"

what time do they go to bed?

Housewife & Co 1 child; Washington, District of Columbia 600 posts
27th Jan '13

If they're only taking an ounce or two have you tried adding it onto they're last feeding?

27th Jan '13
Quoting TantricLemons:" I dont think anyone will tell you not to feed your babies because its an inconvenience."

You obviously didn't read where I said they don't even drink the bottle..