1 baby, but 2 sacs?? FosterFamilyMomma Due August 1; 1 child; Roscommon, Michigan 47 posts
31st Jan '13

I am currently 14 weeks pregnant. At 5 weeks 5 days I went in for a dating ultrasound to check baby.

The u/s tech found one sac with a fetal pole and searched around at my ovaries and whatnot. To the right of the baby was another black sac, I asked if it was a cyst, because I know black sacs are fluid filled. It didn't have anything in it

The tech just said no and pressed on. I was confused because I thought that may be twins.
I had another u/s at 6w5d and the u/s tech went straight to the first babe and didn't look anywhere else.

Could I be having twins? Why would the tech say anything? At 5 weeks my HCG was 35,000. I have also been having symptoms of twins but I don't get another u/s until 20 weeks. I know I may seem crazy, but there was a sac (not my bladder) and no one has told me what it is. I know at 5 weeks baby could still show up later. And it is not a cyst. Anyone else have something like this happen?

user banned 2 kids; Hamilton, Ontario 19220 posts
31st Jan '13

Did you ask the second u/s tech to look for a second?

Fertile Mertile + D & C 2 kids; Sumter, SC, United States 37083 posts
31st Jan '13

It was probably the yolk sac.

Mommy of TWO <3 2 kids; Maryland 731 posts
31st Jan '13
Quoting Fertile Mertile + D & C:" It was probably the yolk sac."

:!:

That's my guess

FosterFamilyMomma Due August 1; 1 child; Roscommon, Michigan 47 posts
31st Jan '13

No, the second u/s tech was a student. She could barely find my ovaries. I have called the doctor, but because he wasn't there he couldn't tell me if what I saw was twins. It is incredibly frustrating not knowing. I am measuring nearly 3 weeks ahead, I had a nasty 1st trimester and I have been feeling baby a lot for being so early. grr lol

31st Jan '13

No, the sac was outside of 1st baby's sac, like a separate sac all together, about the same size of the sac baby was in. This sac was just up and to the right.

Chels :3 Florida 2017 posts
31st Jan '13
Quoting FosterFamilyMomma:" No, the second u/s tech was a student. She could barely find my ovaries. I have called the doctor, but ... [snip!] ... I am measuring nearly 3 weeks ahead, I had a nasty 1st trimester and I have been feeling baby a lot for being so early. grr lol"

Sounds like the yolk sac.

3 Little Ladies + Mommy & Due April 17; 2 kids; 3 angel babies; Maryland 7447 posts
31st Jan '13

It could have been a vanishing twin. I was pregnant with triplets (twins in one sac and the second sac was empty and contained a vanishing twin.) Google vanishing twin.

j0des(+2) 18 kids; Virginia 5095 posts
31st Jan '13

My first son was a twin(fraternal) but sadly we lost the other at 7 weeks.

Even at 20 weeks the other sac was still there, but the fetus was absorbed. Vanishing twin.

31st Jan '13
Quoting Mama to Izzy and Olive:" It could have been a vanishing twin. I was pregnant with triplets (twins in one sac and the second sac was empty and contained a vanishing twin.) Google vanishing twin."

:!::idea:

31st Jan '13
Quoting Mama to Izzy and Olive:" It could have been a vanishing twin. I was pregnant with triplets (twins in one sac and the second sac was empty and contained a vanishing twin.) Google vanishing twin."

Being that I was so early, if it was a twin, could it have still developed? Or would it have had a pole at whatnot by then? I am just wondering why the u/s tech ignored my questions and said nothing.

κατι 1 child; Memphis, Tennessee 3143 posts
31st Jan '13

this.

Kari Tocco Due May 9; Fenton, Missouri 4 posts
31st Jan '13

As the mother of twins, I can tell you that it sounds like you are having twins by what you say. I would definitly call my doctor and tell him exactly how you are feeling, what you saw, your concerns and that you would like another ultrasound a.s.a.p.. The second baby may not have been visable at the first ultrasound, and sometimes we concieve fraternal twins at different times! Let me know how it turns out!

31st Jan '13
Quoting FosterFamilyMomma:" Being that I was so early, if it was a twin, could it have still developed? Or would it have had a pole at whatnot by then? I am just wondering why the u/s tech ignored my questions and said nothing. "

There not supposed to answer questions.

Kari Tocco Due May 9; Fenton, Missouri 4 posts
31st Jan '13
Quoting Chels :3:" There not supposed to answer questions. "

Yes, they are not supposed to answer questions or give medical diagnosis. Call your doctor, it sounds like you are expecting 2!