1 year olds *Coby's Mommy* 17 kids; North Carolina 69 posts
31st Jan '13

my son just turn 1 year old a week ago ive maily fed him basically formula & baby gerber foods he would have table food from time to time but not much. I'm not an awesome cook well what i mean by that is I don't know many recipes or anything. i can prepare a few meals like pretty easy things like macaroni, hamburger helper, corn, peas, beans, potato salad etc... i havent had much practice on making patties for hamburgers or frying chicken or anything like that. im pretty much following directions from the box. I was wondering what kind of meals could i be feeding my son now? i kno he needs breakfast lunch dinner and about 2 or 3 snacks and lots of water, juice every now & then & his 2 cups milk a day. so is there any feeding schedules you ladies have for an early one year old getting off formula? another thing is he still doesnt sleep through the night completely. he goes right to bed at his bedtime between 9-10pm but happens to wake up around about 2:30-3am but sometimes he will cry but not soon after will go right back to sleep and awaken about maybe 6 or so i'm not sure because by then my fiance has him but he would be sleeping through the night if he does that but most of the time he wakes up and continues to cry for his bottle. since he will be off formula which is like a feeding what could i give him when he wakes up like that? maybe a cup or bottle of milk?(i'm getting him off the cup but he still wants his bottle especially at sleepy time) or maybe i could give him water or juice? but will that put him back to sleep? another thing is when i give him the whole milk is it ok for it to be cold right out the fridge? or could i warm it up? ive never known to warm up whole milk lol. and one last question i have an idea of maybe what i could give him for breakfast so tell me what you ladies think
chopped up pieces of toasted smothered with yogurt
chopped up fruit
and scrambled eggs with juice or milk?
i'm really new at this because this is my first child. so any suggestions, advice & help is greatly appreciated with a 1 year old. by the way he isn't walking yet he is taking lots of steps but not officially walking

user banned 3 kids; Ontario 10942 posts
31st Jan '13

This is one of my 1 yrs old feeding routine and foods.

7am- breakfast
1/2c of whole milk, 1 piece of toast/unsalted butter, 1 hard boiled egg

9am-snack
1/2c water, handful of whole grain cheerios, 1/4c plain yougurt (wheat germ) diced up strawberries

11:45-lunch
1/2c whole milk, white rice mixed with spinach,broccoli,grated carrots,onions,garlic,pepper to taste. Diced chicken, and I put a light cheese sauce on it.(that I make myself)
2-3 peach slices with somr fruit dip.

4pm-snack
1/2c juice, crackers and some hummus

5:30pm-dinner
1/2c whole milk, Whatever I make for dinner, tonight is a roasted chicken, with potatoes, (carrots,celery,mushrooms and onions) around the chicken, and stuffing, then a garlic pasta, and bread.

7pm-snack
1/2c whole milk, cottage cheese with pineapple in it. Some gerber puffs.

At 1 it is 2-2 1/2 c of whole milk a day, but not more then 3 cups a day. So lo's dont get low in iron, so make sure you feed with iron enriched foods. Basicaly 1/2c of milk with every meal plus 1 snack, is the most recommended way of doing it.
My dd will be 1 on the 4th, and we are 2 weeks into this feeding patteren, she took herself off of formula about 3 weeks ago. Lo has slept through the night since 7 days, so I am no help there sorry. I would just take the bottle away, mine has been only on a straw cup since 8 months old.

~Raylan's Mama~ 1 child; Tennessee 2114 posts
31st Jan '13

What kind of meals could i be feeding my son now? Hot dogs, mac n cheese, spaghetti...He can eat anything you eat pretty much. If he doesn't have a lot of teeth just cut everything up tiny. I give my son Gerber Ravioli's or Lil Entrees.

Is there any feeding schedules you ladies have for an early one year old getting off formula? Breakfast, snack, Lunch, snack, Dinner, snack...he should be getting 3-4 cups/bottles of milk a day...everything else should be water or juice. I give my son a sippy with mostly water and just a splash of juice for flavor. Too much milk will be used as a filler and could make his iron low...too little could cause a lack of calcium.

could i give him when he wakes up like that? maybe a cup or bottle of milk?(i'm getting him off the cup but he still wants his bottle especially at sleepy time) or maybe i could give him water or juice? but will that put him back to sleep? My 16-month old STILL wakes up a couple times a night...give him milk just like you would have given him formula...OR you can try water and see if it works for you.

another thing is when i give him the whole milk is it ok for it to be cold right out the fridge? or could i warm it up? Straight out of the fridge! No need to warm it up!!!

Last question i have an idea of maybe what i could give him for breakfast so tell me what you ladies think
chopped up pieces of toasted smothered with yogurt
chopped up fruit
and scrambled eggs with juice or milk? I'd give one or the other...that's a lot for a one year old. I usually do fruit or just a couple handfuls of Cheerios

*Coby's Mommy* 17 kids; North Carolina 69 posts
3rd Feb '13
Quoting ~Raylan's Mama~:" What kind of meals could i be feeding my son now? Hot dogs, mac n cheese, spaghetti...He can eat anything ... [snip!] ... or milk? I'd give one or the other...that's a lot for a one year old. I usually do fruit or just a couple handfuls of Cheerios"

wow really? thanks for telling me! i fed him a small portion of corn, maybe a handful of hamburger helper & some orange slices... he only ate about half of the hamburger helper & a tiny portion of the corn so I saved it for the next day. Some how I felt as if I was giving him too big of portions haha thanks for clearing that up!

~Raylan's Mama~ 1 child; Tennessee 2114 posts
3rd Feb '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting *Coby's Mommy*:</b>" wow really? thanks for telling me! i fed him a small portion of corn, maybe a handful of hamburger helper ... [snip!] ... so I saved it for the next day. Some how I felt as if I was giving him too big of portions haha thanks for clearing that up!"</blockquote>

At least you could save some...my son will throw everything he doesn't want on the floor! Lol