3 yr old potty trained? KiKi Dee Due November 15; 1 child; 2 angel babies; Dresden, Tennessee 322 posts
5th Feb '13

My DD has been potty trained for a year now. However, every time she needs to go, she has the need to ask us.this happens in the middle of the night too. If we don't answer she will potty on her self. Does anyone have any similar experience or advice on what I can do to show her she can just go?

Jennybananna 2 kids; Gilbert, AZ, United States 25079 posts
5th Feb '13

Just keep reminding her that she doesnt she need to ask your permission. Eventually it should catch on.

Not tellin 3 kids; Montana 55983 posts
5th Feb '13
Quoting KiKi Dee:" My DD has been potty trained for a year now. However, every time she needs to go, she has the need to ... [snip!] ... she will potty on her self. Does anyone have any similar experience or advice on what I can do to show her she can just go?"

My twins are 4 1/2 and still announce they have to use the bathroom. It isn't as much asking for permission to go as it is habit. Since they were potty trained I always told them when they announced that they needed to go potty "Go ahead, you know where the bathroom is. Let me know if you need help".

Lilia's Mama (TTC#2) TTC since Aug 2013; 1 child; Florida 3592 posts
5th Feb '13

My 3 year old wont ask to go.. she goes on her own but she'll run to the bathroom and say "gotta go potty! gotta go potty!"

~*~Tasia~*~ Due November 14 (girl); 50 kids; Oceanside, California 2417 posts
5th Feb '13

That's normal. My daughter is 4 1/2 and still broadcasts it. It fades. I think its cause when we potty train them, we are asking every 5 seconds "Do you have to go potty?".
Now when she does this, we just tell her "Go!" Lol.

Steph{♥T&A♥} 2 kids; Arkansas 1893 posts
5th Feb '13

My 3 YO doesn't ask but he does announce it because he's still excited about it. If she's asking permission I would just make sure to remind her every time that she does that she doesn't need to ask and that she can go potty on her own any time she pleases.

KiKi Dee Due November 15; 1 child; 2 angel babies; Dresden, Tennessee 322 posts
5th Feb '13

Thanks ladies. My husband gets mad and irritated and I told him she will eventually grasp it. She just knocked on our door and said "I gotta go potty" my husband told her ok, he went to close our bedroom door and she yelled "no close the door wait"...

Rette Mich 1 child; Texas 27604 posts
5th Feb '13

My 4 1/2 year old still tells everyone that he needs to go. Like another said its just habbit. How many times did you ask them when they were PT? Tons lol

Hell sometimes I still tell my DH I gotta pee!!

KiKi Dee Due November 15; 1 child; 2 angel babies; Dresden, Tennessee 322 posts
5th Feb '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Rette Mich:</b>" My 4 1/2 year old still tells everyone that he needs to go. Like another said its just habbit. How many ... [snip!] ... its just habbit. How many times did you ask them when they were PT? Tons lol Hell sometimes I still tell my DH I gotta pee!!"</blockquote>

Unfortunately, I was deployed when my husband potty trained her. So I have no clue how he done it. I was working a little with her before I left but he did the rest. :(