Reply
VBAC vs RCS AKMommy1013 2 kids; Valdez, Alaska 31 posts
6th Feb '13

I'm 31 weeks today and up until about 4 days ago, have been very ok with having an RCS. After 36 hours of full blown camel back contractions, not even a 2 minute breather in between them, and the stress that came with the situation surrounding my son's birth and never going past 2cm dialated, I've been afraid to even consider a VBAC. That and the hospital where I live says it's not insured for VBACs and the closest one that is is 306 miles away, I'd just accepted that I would be having an RCS.
A couple weeks ago I started using doTerra products though, and for some reason, the calming feeling that came with that has made me start to think about a VBAC. I can't talk to my Dr about it because wont even consider me considering it. My new husband (the baby we're expecting is our honeymoon baby) told me we'd talk and he'd support me no matter what I chose, and his only concern is the safety of me and our LO.
If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I have a great support network regardless of what I choose to do, I just don't know if it's to late to even consider the VBAC, let alone to find a new doctor 300 miles away who would be willing to work with me.

misanthrope 2 kids; Ramona, California 15430 posts
6th Feb '13

The 300 miles away would freak me out. With that being said if you go into the hospital in full blown labor they can't force you to have a c-section. Best of luck in what ever you decide.

KillerMombie 3 kids; Belle Chasse, Louisiana 28281 posts
6th Feb '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting misanthrope:</b>" The 300 miles away would freak me out. With that being said if you go into the hospital in full blown labor they can't force you to have a c-section. Best of luck in what ever you decide."</blockquote>




Very true! They can't refuse you service and they can't force you into a cesarean. While I didn't drive 300 miles, I did drive 2 hours to a doctor and hospital that was covered and supportive of VBAC's with my second. Unfortunately that attempt didn't work out BUT I tried again with baby #3 and finally got my vaginal delivery and I'm so thrilled I did! Even with 2 days in labor and, ahem, quite a but of tearing it was still am immensely better experience! And I've finally had incredible success breast feeding this little guy, too!

misanthrope 2 kids; Ramona, California 15430 posts
6th Feb '13
Quoting KillerMombie:" <blockquote><b>Quoting misanthrope:</b>" The 300 miles away would freak me out. With ... [snip!] ... it was still am immensely better experience! And I've finally had incredible success breast feeding this little guy, too!"


My VBAC attempt failed as well. People look at me like I'm crazy when I say I will try for a VBAC2. You give me hope!!! If you don't mind my asking why did you labor attempts fail?

KillerMombie 3 kids; Belle Chasse, Louisiana 28281 posts
6th Feb '13
Quoting misanthrope:" My VBAC attempt failed as well. People look at me like I'm crazy when I say I will try for a VBAC2. You give me hope!!! If you don't mind my asking why did you labor attempts fail?"


My first son was an induction at 8 days past EDD because of oligohydramnios (low amniotic fluid) but after 16 hours of labor he went into fetal distress & I had only dilated to a fingertip so he was born via emergency C.



My daughter was a repeat 10 days past EDD because my Dr was NOT covered to provide an induction for a VBAC and, well, nothing was happening. I was originally willing to go a full 2 weeks past EDD but extenuating circumstances (my husband was on military leave that was quickly getting eaten up as we were all waiting) I eventually chose to go ahead with the C-section.



My 3rd and final little one decided to be my "3rd time's a charm" baby and came on his own at exactly 41 weeks :D



Most people thought I was crazy for trying again but I knew I'd really regret it if I didn't at least TRY and see if my body could do it. I'm soooo glad I did!

AKMommy1013 2 kids; Valdez, Alaska 31 posts
15th Feb '13

Thanks Moms! I think Sophie made up my mind for me. The day after I posted this I went into pre term labor and now there is no traveling for me! Looks like she'll be C-Section and I'll try for a VBAC with baby #3 some day.