6 weeks and can't see a heartbeat? Rickie Waller Due May 17; Japan 3 posts
6th Feb '13

So I just found out I was expecting my second child, I went to the er because I was having abdominal pains, they said my hormone level was right on with how far along I am. But when they gave me an ultrasound they weren't.able to see a heart beat, so now im worried is, this normal? The pains have stopped and I was never bleeding. Im almost 6 weeks

Sarah ♥ K&K 2 kids; South Land, CA, United States 118626 posts
status 6th Feb '13

Its not uncommon or a sign of the worst. Sometimes it just takes a little longer to see things/

sknymnie Hubert, nc, United States 15150 posts
6th Feb '13

The First Heart Beat
Your baby's heart is making its first heartbeats. Because your baby is so tiny right now, it may take a few more weeks before your doctor or healthcare provider can hear the heartbeat using a Doppler ultrasound, but you can see flutters of the heart with an intravaginal ultrasound now. The heart rate usually is slow around 100 beats per minute at 6 weeks pregnant.
http://www.womenshealthcaretopics.com/pregnancy_week_6.htm

Sydney Nic0le 1 child; Connecticut 90 posts
6th Feb '13

we didnt see our sons heartbeat until 8 weeks. Doctor checked at 6 and couldnt see it, then at 8 weeks it was there. Just give it time :)

Pickle Due September 2 (boy); 1 child; 1 angel baby; Kentucky 4218 posts
6th Feb '13

We couldn't see my sons heartbeat until i was nearly 8 weeks.

Rickie Waller Due May 17; Japan 3 posts
6th Feb '13

They gave me an internal ultrasound, and wasn't able to see it, they say it could be just too early or a sign of miscarriage. I have an appointment tomorrow to see if my hormone level has increased

Rickie Waller Due May 17; Japan 3 posts
6th Feb '13

Thank you all :) I appreciate the comments, im just a but nervous right now

Pickle Due September 2 (boy); 1 child; 1 angel baby; Kentucky 4218 posts
6th Feb '13
Quoting Rickie Waller:" Thank you all :) I appreciate the comments, im just a but nervous right now"

My ultrasound was internal also and they still wasn't able to see it until 7 weeks 6 days. I hope everything works out for you and your baby! this is such a nerve wracking time i know how you feel!

round3 3 kids; Ontario 214 posts
6th Feb '13
Quoting Rickie Waller:" So I just found out I was expecting my second child, I went to the er because I was having abdominal ... [snip!] ... to see a heart beat, so now im worried is, this normal? The pains have stopped and I was never bleeding. Im almost 6 weeks"

We couldn't see a heartbeat at our ultrasound at 6 weeks our last pregnancy... the tech assured us this was normal and baby was probably just too small at the time. We were rescheduled to come back in 2 weeks to make sure but I miscarried naturally 1 week later :( I wish you the very best of luck!