18 month old throwing ~Tristan's Mama~ 33 weeks Due September 8 (girl); 1 child; .., OR, United States 4071 posts
status 12th Feb '13

My son is in a stage where he picks everything up, and throws it. Lastnight he picked up a little dog statue that my parents got after their dog died. I was in the bathroom, and he was with my mom when it happened. My dad keps telling me just smack his hand when he does it, but I feel like that is his way of learning things, and exploring, but at the same time, he can't be throwing everything. Any ideas on other tricks to try? He knew he was in trouble when he did it lastnight. But he is still throwing things. I have tried everything but hitting his hand or spanking, and I would prefer not to.

DannyPete&MaggieKate's Ma 2 kids; Weymouth, Massachusetts 4325 posts
12th Feb '13

When my daughter does stuff like that I get eye level with her and just say "NO throwing" or "we only throw balls" and give her a ball. You just have to make sure you and everyone around him is consistent with telling him no and taking it out of his hand...sometimes its hard not to laugh at what theyre doing.

~Tristan's Mama~ 33 weeks Due September 8 (girl); 1 child; .., OR, United States 4071 posts
status 12th Feb '13
Quoting DannyPete&MaggieKate's Ma:" When my daughter does stuff like that I get eye level with her and just say "NO throwing" or "we only ... [snip!] ... him is consistent with telling him no and taking it out of his hand...sometimes its hard not to laugh at what theyre doing."

That is basically what I did lastnight. I got down at his level, and said "we don't throw!" Then I made him go say sorry, and Hug my mom. She acted like it was no big deal, she said it is just a thing, that it was ok, but I found out this morning, that she is REALLY upset. I feel terrible!