4 days late & negative pregnancy tests Neva Ann Michigan 32 posts
12th Feb '13

Hi All!

First "official" post in the TTC thread, I'm some what of a "newbie". :)

Anyways, my last period was January 11, I was due to get it this month on the 8th. My cycles have been like clock work, every 4 weeks for the last 2+ years.. I still didn't get my period and have no normal (for me) symptoms of it arriving anytime soon, but I am obviously late..

I took a test yesterday and it was negative (dollar store test), I took a clear blue test this afternoon and it was negative as well. The only symptoms I have, which could go either way, is a headache, increased discharge (clear, no color, odorless) tired, and pretty moody. I called the doctor, but they said to test again in a few days if my period still hasn't arrived, then if its negative, to call back to be seen.

I know everyone is different, but I figured I would come to you ladies for some advice! I thought maybe someone has experienced this or something similar :) Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

~Mrs.SoldierBoy~ Due September 2 (boy); 1 child; Colorado 4969 posts
12th Feb '13

I didn't get my BFP until I was about 6 days late. I had 3 negatives before then. Make sure your testing with first morning urine!

Neva Ann Michigan 32 posts
12th Feb '13

Thanks for the response! Yesterday's was mornings, today's was afternoon. I was too anxious to wait since I still didn't get my period lol

I will wait a few more days to test again. :)

lynnsaymarie Due July 2; 1 child; 1 angel baby; Western, NY, United States 3712 posts
status 12th Feb '13

Sometimes it takes longer to get enough hormones to make a bfp. Have you been stressed out or sick this month? Those can also make you late.Try testing again ina couple days with fmu and even try having sex. If you're not pregnant sex can sometimes bring your period on because of the prostaglandins in semen.

12th Feb '13

As far as I know, I haven't been stressed about anything lol and I haven't been sick since the beginning of January. Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely be taking it! :)

Emily+W&S Due October 9 (girl); 17 kids; Iowa 1804 posts
12th Feb '13

I didn't get my bfp till 4 days late. I say wait a couple days and test again!

lynnsaymarie Due July 2; 1 child; 1 angel baby; Western, NY, United States 3712 posts
status 12th Feb '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Neva Ann:</b>" As far as I know, I haven't been stressed about anything lol and I haven't been sick since the beginning of January. Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely be taking it! :)"</blockquote>

haha have fun :)

♥Rach♥ 2 kids; Arizona 12875 posts
12th Feb '13

You're not out until AF shows! Although it's unlikely to get a late BFP, it definitely happens. It took about 4-5 days after AF was due for me to get a noticeable positive on a Dollar Tree test (even though it's supposed to detect hcg levels of 25 and mine were over 100). Clearblue digital tests require more hcg, so sometimes it takes a while to get BFP. FRERs usually are the most sensitive, but Answer tests are pretty sensitive, too. Do you know when you ovulated for sure? In my situation, it turns out I ovulated 6 days later than usual. That's why it took a little longer to get a BFP.

It's also possible that AF is just late and that you're not pregnant. My period was like clockwork, then several years ago I started having wonky, 35-40 day cycles every so often. Last month, my cycle was 37 days. Even though I kept getting BFN's, I felt pregnant and had random symptoms. Unfortunately, it happens. I am pretty sure I was late because I ovulated about 10 days later than usual, but I'm not sure.

Best of luck and lots of baby dust!

12th Feb '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Emily+Wyatt+1:</b>" I didn't get my bfp till 4 days late. I say wait a couple days and test again!"</blockquote>

Will do... Fingers crossed! The waiting game stinks!

12th Feb '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting ♥Rach♥:</b>" You're not out until AF shows! Although it's unlikely to get a late BFP, it definitely happens. It took ... [snip!] ... sure I was late because I ovulated about 10 days later than usual, but I'm not sure. Best of luck and lots of baby dust! "</blockquote>

Thank you for sharing your story! I'm not 100% sure when I ovulated, we're doing the "just have fun with it" game and not charting or anything, but I do have a calendar that tells me when I'm fertile, according to that, I was fertile Jan 20-25 and ovulated the 25th...

12th Feb '13
Quoting Neva Ann:" <blockquote><b>Quoting ♥Rach♥:</b>" You're not out until AF shows! Although ... [snip!] ... but I do have a calendar that tells me when I'm fertile, according to that, I was fertile Jan 20-25 and ovulated the 25th..."

You're welcome! If you weren't tracking, it's definitely possible that you just O'd late. :D The month I got pregnant, we stopped using OPKs and just BD'd every other day. I had no clue when I ovulated...just a guess based on my average cycles. I think it's nice to go into TTC just having fun. OPKs, charting, etc are stressful!

12th Feb '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting ♥Rach♥:</b>" You're welcome! If you weren't tracking, it's definitely possible that you just O'd late. :D The month ... [snip!] ... a guess based on my average cycles. I think it's nice to go into TTC just having fun. OPKs, charting, etc are stressful! "</blockquote>

That's why we're starting this way, if we aren't successful after 6 months-1 year, then I'll start charting and tracking, but we figured we would just give it a shot and have fun, not stress about needing to BD on a schedule. Lol even though we'll get to that point eventually, if this way doesn't work :)

mama918 TTC since Jul 2012; 1 child; Georgia 4 posts
12th Feb '13

My cycle is 29 days every month since I have been off BC for over a year. AF has never been late (well except with my last pregnancy) My PMS symptoms are always the same too. Slight cramping 2 days before my period and tender b's. This month. AF has not shown. It has now been 33 days since my last period. I too have taken 2 pregnancy tests both neg. I called my doctor thinking that it could be something else like a cyst. She said that it could be one of two things: I'm either pregnant or I never ovulated this past month (my charting is not consistent) and it is delaying my period. She told me to come in and get a blood test because it would be more accurate.

12th Feb '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Neva Ann:</b>" <blockquote><b>Quoting ♥Rach♥:</b>" You're welcome! If you weren't tracking, ... [snip!] ... not stress about needing to BD on a schedule. Lol even though we'll get to that point eventually, if this way doesn't work :)"</blockquote>

:D. That is awesome! I hope it happens before you need to start all that. I was parnoid from the get go when we were TTC DD. I have all if the symptoms of endometriosis and a family history of all sorts of fertility issues (including endo). It only took 6 cycles, but i was worried the whole time. I found out I was pregnant the day I was supposed to schedule my diagnostic lap. :)

13th Feb '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting mama918:</b>" My cycle is 29 days every month since I have been off BC for over a year. AF has never been late (well ... [snip!] ... is not consistent) and it is delaying my period. She told me to come in and get a blood test because it would be more accurate."</blockquote>

Yeah, mine told me to wait til Thursday, if no AF, then to make an appointment. Hope your situation goes whichever way you're hoping for! Keep me posted please!