14 wks preg leaking amniotic fluid? need advice or support qwerttyyuiop Due August 8; 1 child; New Hampshire 39 posts
13th Feb '13

Hey! I'm 14 weeks pregnant with my second child. I guess I'm just looking for some advice or support with my current situation. I'll post the short version! I went to the ER twice this weekend for urinary retention. (nothing would come out at all!) I had to get a catheter the first time and they took it out. Two days later I got another catheter and they sent me home with it. :/ Turns out I have a bad UTI and I was on antibiotics that didn't treat it, they put me on stronger antibiotics and a spasm relaxer (that turns my urine ORANGE.. yes, orange, like orange pop orange!) :shock:
So, its been 4 days since I was in the ER the second time and I've been leaking clear fluid. It doesn't happen ALL the time but maybe 1-3x a day. I've been staying home the past few days so when it happens changing my shorts is not a big deal but I have classes and missed tests to make up and along with being pregnant, having a catheter, and having to worry about possibly changing my pants its IMPOSSIBLE to concentrate!! :cry:
I know I can wear a pad, but (maybe gross) with the catheter going out one side of my underwear the fluid follows the tube out.. (on the outside of the tube)

As I said before, my urine is orange so I know I'm not wetting my pants.

I go to the OB and urologist tomorrow afternoon but I'm just a little freaked out right now.

Sorry this is so long!! Hopefully someone takes the time to read this! :)

vagina. 3 kids; Titz, No, Germany 30924 posts
13th Feb '13

Id call your ob. Although at 14 weeks I'm not sure of they could really do anything. :(

lacTAYtor. ☮ 3 kids; North Carolina 4496 posts
13th Feb '13

You need to talk to your OB. Good luck!

Brookie99 1 child; Fort McMurray, Alberta 1126 posts
13th Feb '13

Id call your ob as well. I would assume they may put you on bed rest or something to slow down the amount of fluid leaking maybe.

LoveMyBubbaBoy 2 kids; Michigan 3187 posts
13th Feb '13

Do you know for sure it's fluid? I have a TON of discharge (sorry tmi) and it wets my panties all the time. It JUST got this bad this week. Seriously disgusting. I'm also 14 weeks.

justanothamotha Due January 20; 130 kids; Climax, Michigan 5120 posts
13th Feb '13

If you are leaking amniotic fluid you need to see a Dr now, not later. It could just be really watery cervical mucous, but they can do a swab & tell you one way or the other for sure in a minute. If it is amniotic fluid, you NEED to get it addressed or you will likely loose the baby. It is NOTHING to mess with. It usually involves a cerclage, bedrest & possible treatment by other means (steroids, etc.).

13th Feb '13
Quoting justanothamotha:" If you are leaking amniotic fluid you need to see a Dr now, not later. It could just be really watery ... [snip!] ... It is NOTHING to mess with. It usually involves a cerclage, bedrest & possible treatment by other means (steroids, etc.)."

And this! Iwould still call, but there is a possibility it is just some cm. Only a doctor can tell you for sure.

~The Lunar Flower~ 2 kids; Alabama 6748 posts
13th Feb '13

Are you sure its amnoitic fluid? I had a ton of discharge to where I felt like i'd peed myself a few times

qwerttyyuiop Due August 8; 1 child; New Hampshire 39 posts
13th Feb '13
Quoting LoveMyBubbaBoy:" Do you know for sure it's fluid? I have a TON of discharge (sorry tmi) and it wets my panties all the time. It JUST got this bad this week. Seriously disgusting. I'm also 14 weeks."

Hey! I thought it was discharge too but I've never had enough to wet through my panties AND shorts. and its VERY thin and clear, usually my discharge is a little bit more white and a little thicker. I don't know for sure what it is and hopefully it is discharge!!

13th Feb '13
Quoting misslyssk:" Hey! I thought it was discharge too but I've never had enough to wet through my panties AND shorts. ... [snip!] ... my discharge is a little bit more white and a little thicker. I don't know for sure what it is and hopefully it is discharge!! "

Lol (again sorry tmi) but this week I've soaked through my pants if I don't get to the bathroom fast enough. It can totally be clear too. Hope that is what it is.

ρiηkie ρie 3 kids; 3 angel babies; Kentucky 21902 posts
13th Feb '13
Quoting misslyssk:" Hey! I thought it was discharge too but I've never had enough to wet through my panties AND shorts. ... [snip!] ... my discharge is a little bit more white and a little thicker. I don't know for sure what it is and hopefully it is discharge!! "

It could be discharge. You have A LOT more of it during pregnancy. I felt wet all the time with both of my kids. Does the catheter stay in all the time or do you take it out and just insert it when you need to empty your bladder? The reason I ask is, if you're cathing yourself and using lube it could be that making you feel wet. I'd honestly just give your doctor a call, they can do a really simple swab test to see if it's fluid or not. Good luck.

13th Feb '13
Quoting LoveMyBubbaBoy:" Lol (again sorry tmi) but this week I've soaked through my pants if I don't get to the bathroom fast enough. It can totally be clear too. Hope that is what it is. "

ehh! I worked in the ER for a while there's no such thing as tmi in my book with the things I've seen/heard! haha.. and thanks, I of course still called my dr waiting for a return call but you've made me relax a bit about it!

13th Feb '13
Quoting Derpy the Duck:" It could be discharge. You have A LOT more of it during pregnancy. I felt wet all the time with both ... [snip!] ... wet. I'd honestly just give your doctor a call, they can do a really simple swab test to see if it's fluid or not. Good luck. "

I have a leg bag that I empty. I have the catheter because I couldn't go myself, my urethra was pinched. Will find out tomorrow if it was from the UTI or something else. I just empty the bag when it fills, I don't take it out myself. I called but am waiting for a call back bc all the nurses are on lunch!