2 yr old vent Milk Monster 2 kids; Arizona 9089 posts
13th Feb '13

Every time I go to change Brookes diaper Kenneth finds SOMETHING that my SIL left out before school that I didn't catch. Today it was a black magic marker that he used to color the cabinets, doors, and walls. How the fuck am I supposed to get this shit off the walls without a magic eraser?! I tried bleach and various cleaning supplies. I have a huge headache from it. This is the second time this week. First it was a red sharpe marker and he colored his sister and her swing. The fuck kid?! We color every single day, he knows the marker doesn't go on anything but paper but every chance he gets he's coloring on the walls. At this rate we're going to have to pay to repaint the entire freaking house. I have put child locks on the drawers and moved markers out of his reach, but that does no good when someone is constantly leaving them on the counter or table where he has full access to them. I am about to lose it! I think I'm just going to throw them all away and say we can only use pencils. Maybe I should just toss him in his sisters crib until I get her all changed and dressed... Ugh. End vent.

TrixieGirl Due July 4; 1 child; Maryland 1175 posts
13th Feb '13

Throw them out! Can you get the color wonder markers that only mark on the special paper? Or buy the crayola washable markers?

user banned 2 kids; New York 34017 posts
13th Feb '13

Or you could check the house and clean up things like that before he sees them..

Bad Things 1 child; Blacksburg, SC, United States 18110 posts
13th Feb '13
Quoting JiLLiAN.:" Or you could check the house and clean up things like that before he sees them.."

This..

...or invest in some baby gates and/or be aware what he is doing. He shouldnt have been left unsupervised if things are out as long as it took him to color the cabinets/sister/ swing.

Phallus Cranium cocksuck, LA, Sri Lanka 108824 posts
13th Feb '13

we only use

is?7yFpedR2GCrfGIrHC91Y0RwQRI4U0HTZBmFoB

and Sharpies are under lock and key in our house :lol:

Milk Monster 2 kids; Arizona 9089 posts
13th Feb '13
Quoting JiLLiAN.:" Or you could check the house and clean up things like that before he sees them.."

i do check, but like any other exhausted human being there is room for error.

Brown Eyed Girl! Due December 7; 18 kids; North Dakota 12704 posts
13th Feb '13

Soft scrub is the only cleaner I've found to work on permanent marker.

Maybe try a paste of baking soda and water. Let sit for a while, then scrub with vinegar

13th Feb '13
Quoting JessieLeeAnne:" This.. ...or invest in some baby gates and/or be aware what he is doing. He shouldnt have been left unsupervised if things are out as long as it took him to color the cabinets/sister/ swing. "

We have tried baby gates, he climbs over them or knocks them down. His sister was IN the swing when he colored them the other day. So no, it didn't take that long for him to do that. The cabinets and two doors that he colored are right next to each other so again, he got that done in a matter of two minutes while I was changing his sisters diaper. It's not like I left him for 5-10 minutes unsupervised and I try to make sure that EVERYTHING is put away or out of his reach but like I said some things go unnoticed.

13th Feb '13
Quoting Brown Eyed Girl!:" Soft scrub is the only cleaner I've found to work on permanent marker. Maybe try a paste of baking soda and water. Let sit for a while, then scrub with vinegar"

Thank you! I will have to try this. I think I have some soft scrub here.

13th Feb '13
Quoting Trixie7678:" Throw them out! Can you get the color wonder markers that only mark on the special paper? Or buy the crayola washable markers?"

I can, but this is the stuff that SIL leaves out that she needs for school.

----&& 2 kids; Scituate, Rhode Island 3903 posts
13th Feb '13

Nail polish remover gets sharpie off of things but test on the surface first because it could strip paint and whatnot too.

13th Feb '13
Quoting ----&&:" Nail polish remover gets sharpie off of things but test on the surface first because it could strip paint and whatnot too."

Thank you! Goin to have to try it all because I'd rather not paint. :( Haha.

user banned 3 kids; Ontario 10942 posts
13th Feb '13

My mom does this......

I have my own place that I rent thats attached to my parents and we use all of the house, both kitchens etc....there is no longer a door closing off each place. Not an issue we get a long great etc...but omg my mom I am constantly cleaning up after her, snacks pop and nail polish and remover makeup and worst of all scissors. My now 4 yr old would constantly cut her hair 30sec after my mom used scissors and left them out. Like cut her hair right in front of her and she wouldnt notice.
If my mom is on the computer or reading a book she hears and see's nothing around her. The other night it took my 10 yr old 10 min to get her attention standing beside, all because she was in her book on her phone. Drivs me insane. lol
Anyways try nail polish remover, it took sharpie of the hard wood floors here.

TrixieGirl Due July 4; 1 child; Maryland 1175 posts
13th Feb '13
Quoting Milk Monster:" I can, but this is the stuff that SIL leaves out that she needs for school. "

Can you make it her problem then, show her what is happening when she leaves her things out? Maybe your little one will ruin her area one day with the markers she left out ::hint hint::: okay-i didnt mean that....Maybe she could just keep these things at school only or in the car?

13th Feb '13
Quoting crazy coupon lady:" My mom does this...... I have my own place that I rent thats attached to my parents and we use all ... [snip!] ... in her book on her phone. Drivs me insane. lol Anyways try nail polish remover, it took sharpie of the hard wood floors here."

Thanks! I love my SIL, but dang. She is ALWAYS leaving something out and no matter how many times I remind her she still does it. She's in such a hurry to leave that she forgets to put away 95% of the crap she's using. Luckily it's only markers or glue and not something sharp... but dang. Paint can get pretty expensive!