7 yearold and potty problems... :/ 5 kids; 2 angel babies; Castlewood, Virginia 3364 posts
24th Feb '13

I have a 7 year old son. He was very difficult to potty train. I always said it was because when he was 2, I had his little sister and when he was 3 I had his little brother. I didn't worry too much about it. He finally started peeing in the potty when he was almost 4 and he pooped in the potty by 4 and a half. Well, he always had accidents in the bed. Most nights he would come and get me cause he peed. He was late to potty train so I figured it was just that and again, didn't think anything else about it. Well, he is 7 (turned 7 in December) and he still wets the bed fairly often. Not a week goes by that he doesn't wet the bed. I have asked the dr, and she said sometimes that happens. No big deal. He also has problems pooping in the potty. He says he knows when he needs to pee/poop, but he always has accidents. I ask him why and he says he was playing and didn't want to go yet. I"ve tried setting timers and making him go every hour or something, but the first time I forget (I have 3 other kids to care for) he will pee or poop on himself. MOst of the time its not a whole lot, just a brown strip in his undies and wet in the front, not like running down his leg. But I don't know what to do to help him! It is so frustrating for me because I have a 19 month old daughter that I have to change diapers for (she is starting to potty train now) and I have a 4 year old son and 5 year old daughter that are both fully potty trained and so far (knock on wood) haven't been bad to have accidents at all. I know I shouldn't compare them, but when will he finally stop this? The dr doesn't seem concerned so that doesn't help. He tells me he KNOWS he needs to, but just doesn't want to stop playing to go. I think he is just too lazy to come downstairs to the bathroom. It drives me nuts! He never has accidents at school, so I'm fairly certain there is nothing physically wrong with him, he just doesn't want to take the time out of playing at home. Has anyone else had this problem before? I don't want to sound harsh, I love him more than anything in this world! its just so frustrating to have to clean poop off of the floor./potty/and a 7 year olds legs because he wont go to the potty when he needs to

P3RvYmCp3rv 2 kids; Carlyle, Illinois 11903 posts
24th Feb '13

The night thing is completely normal as for during the day if he doesn't make it to poop on the potty he is old enough that things can be taken away.

MommaNoodle 2 kids; Pennsylvania 13115 posts
24th Feb '13
Quoting P3RvYmCp3rv:" The night thing is completely normal as for during the day if he doesn't make it to poop on the potty he is old enough that things can be taken away. "

i agree. if he's not having them at school, then it's obviously not medical. so, i would start taking toys away. or having a consequence for the pooping and peeing on the floor during the day.

5 kids; 2 angel babies; Castlewood, Virginia 3364 posts
24th Feb '13
Quoting P3RvYmCp3rv:" The night thing is completely normal as for during the day if he doesn't make it to poop on the potty he is old enough that things can be taken away. "

I have tried taking things away because it seems to have gotten worse since Christmas when he got the Wii U. So, if he has an "accident" he isn't allowed to play that or the DS. Last week he didn't get to go to his cub scout meeting because of it. I'm at a loss. NOthing seems to get to him.
And i'm not all that worried about the night time thing. I have those rubber mattress guards so we don't ruin the mattress and I just Lysol his bed and change sheets. I think that is kind of understandable. Heck, I accidently peed in the bed with my last pregnancy. Its the day time thing that drives me nuts.

user banned Due November 26; 1 child; Parkersburg, West Virginia 9548 posts
24th Feb '13

maybe make him clean it up? buy him pull ups?

**Jen 51 kids; Waterloo, Ontario 527 posts
24th Feb '13

My oldest potty trained late as well. He was nearly 4 before he stayed clean and dry during the day. He's now 8 1/2 and still can't stay dry at night. His 5 year old brother potty trained at 3 and stayed dry at night a week after potty training. Every kid is different but the day time accidents at your sons age do not some normal. Does he have problems going? Any pain? Constipation? If it's not that I'd suggest taking to his doctor to see if you can figure out why he's doing this

user banned 3 kids; Washington 15083 posts
24th Feb '13

I would make him wear pull ups during the day at home. Maybe that will be motivation to go. Since he's a big boy and probably won't like wearing diapers.

24th Feb '13
Quoting I love Kenzi:" maybe make him clean it up? buy him pull ups?"

I have threatened buying pull ups for him. He isn't thrilled with the idea, so maybe I should really do it. And he does have to clean it up. Hes just not very good at cleaning, so I end up helping. But I make him at least give it a good effort. Most of the time its not horrible. It just kills me that he always smells like pee. I have to bathe him at least 2 times a day because of it usually. And anytime he does go to the bathroom he has to have new undies because the other ones are dirty. I swear he goes through at least 5 pairs of underwear a day.

24th Feb '13
Quoting
nothing to see Due August 21; 2 kids; Japan 602 posts
24th Feb '13

I dont understand why would he need to use a potty. hee s 7, old enough to use the toilet like every one. ?
maybe I not understanding everything or maybe he has special needs? I dont know

anyway my sister used to pee her pants until she was 10. and pee her bed every night until 13. during the day she would just be too lazy to stop what she was doing to go toilet. maybe take things away

24th Feb '13
Quoting **Jen:" My oldest potty trained late as well. He was nearly 4 before he stayed clean and dry during the day. ... [snip!] ... Any pain? Constipation? If it's not that I'd suggest taking to his doctor to see if you can figure out why he's doing this"

I've talked to his dr and she didn't seem concerned. Said the nighttime thing was normal. Like I said, i'm not extremely concerned about that. But the daytime thing is a little excessive. I've talked to him and nothing seems to be going on. He is a straight A student at school. Never have any complaints from his teacher. He acts normal at home. PLays with his brother and sisters. He acts like he always has. The first thing I did when it started getting worse was ask and make sure he was ok. He says everything is fine and will admit that he just doesn't want to stop playing to go to the bathroom...

24th Feb '13
Quoting nothing to see:" I dont understand why would he need to use a potty. hee s 7, old enough to use the toilet like every ... [snip!] ... every night until 13. during the day she would just be too lazy to stop what she was doing to go toilet. maybe take things away"

He does use the potty. Sorry, that's just what I call it because of the kids lol WE don't even have a little potty anymore.

24th Feb '13
Quoting ♫ boobook ♫:" I would make him wear pull ups during the day at home. Maybe that will be motivation to go. Since he's a big boy and probably won't like wearing diapers."

personally, i would not put him in pull-ups. my bf's daughter (6 yrs old at the time) was having "accidents" at school and at my house, but not his or at her mom's. at school, the nurse suggested pull-ups, so they put her in them at school and she just peed in them instead of going to the bathroom. and she would come home in a soaked pull-up. i refused to put her in them at my house, and she peed on my living room floor a few times. i figured out that she was afraid of a spider she had seen in my bathroom once and in the bathroom at school.

so.... for behavioral 'accidents', i would not do pull-ups.

24th Feb '13
Quoting MommaNoodle:" have him help you clean it up, as well. at 7 years old, i would. my daughter is 6 and a half and she ... [snip!] ... know) or on the side of the toilet. it's disgusting. i make her wipe it up with a lysol wipe. she is old enough to know better."

He does the wiping it on the toilet thing. He is usually covered after he goes poop. HE has to have a bath after he poops every time. He has to help me clean it up as well. But I swear nothing bothers this kid!

24th Feb '13
Quoting MommaNoodle:" personally, i would not put him in pull-ups. my bf's daughter (6 yrs old at the time) was having "accidents" ... [snip!] ... she had seen in my bathroom once and in the bathroom at school. so.... for behavioral 'accidents', i would not do pull-ups."

That's what I was afraid of, him just using them instead of even trying at all.