19 Month Vocabulary Mommyof2B 2 kids; Torrance, California 2771 posts
25th Feb '13

How many of you that have a 19 month old and already speaking more than just a few words? My son is 19 months but he only says hot, car (which he can't really pronounce right), uh-oh, mama, and mom. One time he said boo, cold, bye bye, and dada but then stops repeating it ever again. Is it normal for him to be like that? I just thought once he knows how to pronounce a word he would keep saying it but guess not.

user banned 2 kids; Bat Cave, North Carolina 64587 posts
25th Feb '13

DD is 20 months or so and says a ton of words.
But DS, at her age, said very, very few.
All kids are different, don't be worried about "normal". As long as he shows progress, he should be fine! :)

Mommyof2B 2 kids; Torrance, California 2771 posts
25th Feb '13
Quoting Mayhem.:" DD is 20 months or so and says a ton of words. But DS, at her age, said very, very few. All kids are different, don't be worried about "normal". As long as he shows progress, he should be fine! :) "

That's what I notice too because when his cousin(girl) at his age speak so much. I was just worried thinking there was something wrong with him because like he would said one word only once then stops saying it ever again. I would try to make him repeat it, it's almost like he doesn't know how to pronounce it anymore...

Kayla: mommy of 2 (: 2 kids; Sachse, Texas 323 posts
25th Feb '13

Mine DD was like that, and I was really worried about her. She is 22 months now and she learns new words every day (especially copying from what other people say" and starting to put sentences together like "whats that", "over there", etc

Soon 2B Mom of 2 2 kids; North Highlands, California 3785 posts
25th Feb '13

DS is 20 months tomorrow, and he speaks in sentences. I swear he learns atleast 3 new words a day, but he just started learning alot of words and what they mean at about 18 months. Every baby is different though.

user banned 2 kids; Bat Cave, North Carolina 64587 posts
25th Feb '13
Quoting Ethan's Mommy 2011:" That's what I notice too because when his cousin(girl) at his age speak so much. I was just worried thinking ... [snip!] ... stops saying it ever again. I would try to make him repeat it, it's almost like he doesn't know how to pronounce it anymore..."

You could always ask his pedi :)
I've always been told that girls speak and gain vocabulary sooner than boys. Not sure how true it is, but it's always seemed true in my family.

Mama Rachael♥ Due April 2; 1 child; 1 angel baby; Asheville, North Carolina 15863 posts
25th Feb '13

my daughter was saying short sentences by 18months but I have friends who kids are 2 and still not talking a bunch. All kids are different :)

25th Feb '13
Quoting Kayla [:)]♥:" Yes, it is normal. My son didn't actually talk until almost 3, so I'd be excited my 19 month old could say anything :P haha"

LOL I was excited that's why I wanted him to repeat it but he doesn't. Just looks at me like what are you saying. Almost feels like he would only speak if he wants to. I guess till then he can just pull me or point to whatever that he wants :D

25th Feb '13
Quoting Kayla: mommy of 2 (::" Mine DD was like that, and I was really worried about her. She is 22 months now and she learns new words ... [snip!] ... day (especially copying from what other people say" and starting to put sentences together like "whats that", "over there", etc"

That's cute! I also heard a lot of stories that girls are faster learner than boys. The other day we were at a birthday party and he kept hearing people said bye so he repeat just once and stops.

25th Feb '13
Quoting Soon 2B Mom of 2:" DS is 20 months tomorrow, and he speaks in sentences. I swear he learns atleast 3 new words a day, but ... [snip!] ... words a day, but he just started learning alot of words and what they mean at about 18 months. Every baby is different though."

I wished my son would learn but sometimes I feel like he's just being lazy. I can't make him repeat anything unless he's really hook on the word so strange!

Kyan&Nate Due February 25; 1 child; Australia 142 posts
25th Feb '13

I know a little girl that is two and still doesn't say anything. She just points at things or makes noises and her mum gets her what she wants. Eg. She make this clicking noise with her mouth whrn shes hungru.

25th Feb '13
Quoting Mayhem.:" You could always ask his pedi :) I've always been told that girls speak and gain vocabulary sooner than boys. Not sure how true it is, but it's always seemed true in my family. "

I guess it's true about girls and boys developments. I can't ask his pedi anytime soon because we won't have a next appointment till after he turns 2 which is a while from now unless he's sick which I don't want to jinx for lol.

25th Feb '13
Quoting Kyliesaurus♥Roaaaar:" my daughter was saying short sentences by 18months but I have friends who kids are 2 and still not talking a bunch. All kids are different :)"

Thanks! Just really hope that's what it is and nothing too serious.

25th Feb '13
Quoting Kyan&Nate:" I know a little girl that is two and still doesn't say anything. She just points at things or makes noises ... [snip!] ... things or makes noises and her mum gets her what she wants. Eg. She make this clicking noise with her mouth whrn shes hungru."

LOL that's cute! When my son is hungry he just runs to the fridge or if I ask if he's hungry he gets excited. He's also pointing and pulling me to things when he wants something.

Soon 2B Mom of 2 2 kids; North Highlands, California 3785 posts
25th Feb '13
Quoting Ethan's Mommy 2011:" I wished my son would learn but sometimes I feel like he's just being lazy. I can't make him repeat anything unless he's really hook on the word so strange!"

DS went through that too. He would say a word and I would be so proud of it that I would tell everyone, and try to show them. As soon as I told him "Say (insert word)" He would give me a funny look and either say stubbornly silent, or babble... I swore he was just trying to make me look crazy :lol: Dont worry, he will grow out of it.