15 month old speech delay? Ashley; Kenley's Mommy! 1 child; Wisconsin 15117 posts
25th Feb '13

My daughter used to be able say, hi daddy, momma, daddy, hi and bye. Now all she can say Is momma, dada. She gets frustrated a lot and screams almost all and says "uh uh" when she wants something. Its really stressing me out because of all the screaming, but then I feel bad. Also speech delays run in our family. My brother had one and so did SO's brother, also all three of my nephews. I dont know what to do. Should I call birth to three?? They are speech therapist that come to your place and work with your child. Sorry this is so long, thanks for the advice!

lolajessup Due July 25 (girl); 2 kids; 1 angel baby; Beaverton, Michigan 44057 posts
25th Feb '13

It never hurts to get an eval. But 15 mos is hard to diagnose speech delay unless she wasn't talking at all and having pragmatically issues (like not making eye contact).

Ethan's Mommy 2011 Due July 26 (boy); 1 child; Torrance, California 2742 posts
status 25th Feb '13

*watching*

ElleBelle (31 weeks) Due September 22; 1 child; 1 angel baby; Rio Rancho, NM, United States 21347 posts
25th Feb '13

No, she's still so young! Elliot has only just started saying some words. Ball, hi, bye, mama and da da. That's about it. I'm not concerned. If Kenley can show you what she wants I wouldn't be concerned either. If she's not saying much by 2 I'd be a little worries, but even then not too concerned

the BEAST Wisconsin 15638 posts
25th Feb '13

I would make an appt with her pedi and discuss it with them. Never a bad idea to get an eval from Birth to 3; they did great work with my DD while she was in the program (starting at 4 months old)

Ashley; Kenley's Mommy! 1 child; Wisconsin 15117 posts
25th Feb '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting lolajessup:</b>" It never hurts to get an eval. But 15 mos is hard to diagnose speech delay unless she wasn't talking at all and having pragmatically issues (like not making eye contact)."</blockquote>

Okay! Thanks. Could you explain the eye contact thing to me more please? I just feel like she screams because she cant talk. She gets very angry.

25th Feb '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Elliot Grace's Mama:</b>" No, she's still so young! Elliot has only just started saying some words. Ball, hi, bye, mama and da ... [snip!] ... wants I wouldn't be concerned either. If she's not saying much by 2 I'd be a little worries, but even then not too concerned"</blockquote>

Shes very smart in other ways. But no, she doesnt really show me what she wants, she just screams or goes uh uh and expects me to figure it out lol.

the BEAST Wisconsin 15638 posts
25th Feb '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Ashley; Kenley's Mommy!:</b>" <blockquote><b>Quoting lolajessup:</b>" It never hurts to get an eval. But 15 mos is ... [snip!] ... you explain the eye contact thing to me more please? I just feel like she screams because she cant talk. She gets very angry."</blockquote>

Does she make eye contact with you or with others either when you're speaking to her or she's attempting to talk to you?

ElleBelle (31 weeks) Due September 22; 1 child; 1 angel baby; Rio Rancho, NM, United States 21347 posts
25th Feb '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Ashley; Kenley's Mommy!:</b>" <blockquote><b>Quoting Elliot Grace's Mama:</b>" No, she's still so young! Elliot has ... [snip!] ... ways. But no, she doesnt really show me what she wants, she just screams or goes uh uh and expects me to figure it out lol."</blockquote>

:( awe it must be so frustrating to not talk! I can't imagine lol. Somehow EllIe always manages to tell me exactly what she wants. But I don't know how. Haha

25th Feb '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting clay matthews:</b>" I would make an appt with her pedi and discuss it with them. Never a bad idea to get an eval from Birth to 3; they did great work with my DD while she was in the program (starting at 4 months old)"</blockquote>

we go to her pedi wednesday! I will bring it up.

25th Feb '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Elliot Grace's Mama:</b>" <blockquote><b>Quoting Ashley; Kenley's Mommy!:</b>" <blockquote><b>Quoting ... [snip!] ... to not talk! I can't imagine lol. Somehow EllIe always manages to tell me exactly what she wants. But I don't know how. Haha"</blockquote>

I know! and I wish she could, its driving me crazy!!

lolajessup Due July 25 (girl); 2 kids; 1 angel baby; Beaverton, Michigan 44057 posts
25th Feb '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting clay matthews:</b>" <blockquote><b>Quoting Ashley; Kenley's Mommy!:</b>" <blockquote><b>Quoting ... [snip!] ... Does she make eye contact with you or with others either when you're speaking to her or she's attempting to talk to you?"</blockquote>

This. Like if she was never looking at you and not talking directly to you or non verbally communicating I'd be concerned. But as long as she's able to use verbal and nonverbal cues to show concern or to communicate needs i wouldn't be concerned.

25th Feb '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting clay matthews:</b>" <blockquote><b>Quoting Ashley; Kenley's Mommy!:</b>" <blockquote><b>Quoting ... [snip!] ... Does she make eye contact with you or with others either when you're speaking to her or she's attempting to talk to you?"</blockquote>

She hardly sits still so its.hard to tell. When she screams, she just does it and gets so mad! sometimes she just throws herself down. She comes to me and dose the uh uh.

Squid Kid Unavailable, NA, United States 32174 posts
25th Feb '13

She's at the age where she's developing other skills and sometimes that means things they know suddenly they aren't as proficient at.

DD Never said mama or dada, first time she said "mommy" was 21mo. At 18mo she only knew 6 words and I think that was including sign language. Now at 23mo, she knows over 30 words.

She wasn't saying anything at 15mo, but was signing. Not every child is going to be like some of the kids you see on here that are walking on water by the time they can lift their head up.

If your doctor isn't worried, don't stress it.

25th Feb '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Squid Kid:</b>" She's at the age where she's developing other skills and sometimes that means things they know suddenly ... [snip!] ... on here that are walking on water by the time they can lift their head up. If your doctor isn't worried, don't stress it."</blockquote>

Thanks! We will see Wednesday.