1 year old with stomach virus Deanna Lynn 17 kids; Levittown, Pennsylvania 353 posts
11th Mar '13

My little guy just turned 1 a week ago and tonight he started throwing up. He woke up around 1:30 am so I laid him down with me to get him back to sleep. 10 minutes later he started to throw up and choke so I rolled him onto his stomach and he threw up all over the bed. My niece lives with us and she was throwing up all day yesterday so I think the stomach virus has hit our home. He's thrown up three times since then but not with the volume of the first time. He had a bottle at 8:30pm and it's now 3:00 am so his stomach is pretty empty. It's been about a half hour since he threw up last and he's currently asleep next to me. I know all the basics of watching for dehydration and I'll be calling his pediatrician first thing in the morning but until then can you ladies give me some tips on getting him through the night? I'm a FTM so I've never been through this before. I offered him some water before he fell asleep and he had no interest in it. What should I offer him and how long do I wait after he threw up.

He just woke up, threw up a little again, and fell back to sleep :( This is breaking my heart. He gets so scared everytime he starts throwing up. :(

White Chocolate Milk 1 child; Chelsea, Alabama 12303 posts
11th Mar '13

Best thing you can do is keep offering fluids. If you have some pedialyte, try some of that. And I would offer gentle things if he will eat. Bread, crackers, etc. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do at that age for stomach virus :( Hope he gets to feeling better soon.

*Mary Moon* 1 child; New York 3601 posts
11th Mar '13

I would let his stomach rest. He is old enough to sleep through the night without eating so I wouldn't worry about dehydration too much in a short period like that. If he can sleep or rest let him do so. Drinking or eating may just get him going again. I would just cuddle him and sleep with him till morning and ask his pediatrician what she recommends for him to drink today. My son had it at 2 months and he got dehydrated in less than 8 hours as nothing was going in but it was coming out both ends and he was just a little guy. I feel your pain mama. Stomach bugs are miserable.

jen black 2 kids; California 2200 posts
11th Mar '13

Aw poor baby :,( hope the rest of the house doesn't get it! Poor guy probably doesn't know what's happening. Makes me sad.

Deanna Lynn 17 kids; Levittown, Pennsylvania 353 posts
11th Mar '13

Thanks so much for the replies. I don't have any pedialyte on hand but I'm going to call my aunt in the morning and she'll pick some up for me. Unfortunately my SO has to leave for work in 2 hours. My LO is curled up next to me for the moment. He wakes up every 15 to 20 minutes dry heaving with just a tiny bit of liquid coming out. My main concern is definitely dehydration, especially since he smells like he's going to start having diarrhea soon. He woke up and started thrashing around having very foul smelling gas. I can't wait for this to pass. I'm really hoping my 5-year-old stepson and my SO manage to avoid this. My SO especially can't afford to miss work. I just feel so helpless. He depends on me to take care of him and protect him and I feel so bad that I can't do much for him. He was just awake heaving again :( To the mom whose LO had the stomach cities at 2 months old, that must have been so scary :(

11th Mar '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Deanna Lynn:</b>" Thanks so much for the replies. I don't have any pedialyte on hand but I'm going to call my aunt in the ... [snip!] ... He was just awake heaving again :( To the mom whose LO had the stomach cities at 2 months old, that must have been so scary :("</blockquote>

If he gets diarrhea try definitely offer the fluids, that's lots of excess water loss. Morning isn't too much longer. I think the stomach bug is scary at any age. Its so invasive to me. I just hate to see it. It was upsetting. They admitted him to peds. They gave him fluids for a few hours and then turned his drip off and recommended we try to see how he would take the bottle. He immediately started throwing up everywhere from 12am to 5am. They just told me at 12am they would turn his fluids back on and I just had to let him throw up. By then the diarrhea had stopped luckily. I was in a huge hurry to get him to the pedi and didn't know they would admit him so he vomited all over himself and myself. I was able to change him but I had no spare clothes so I had to sit in wet stinky clothes from early afternoon until 8am when SO could get off work and bring me clothes. I got no sleep as their checks and his machine was too distracting. He managed to fall asleep from 5am to 8:30am and finally started drinking vomit free and was discharged that afternoon.

bananas4 Due September 28; Arizona 53 posts
11th Mar '13

Do you have a syringe type medicine dropper? In the morning, when your aunt brings the pedialyte, try putting a few ml of it in a medicine dropper and give it to him that way so that he doesn't drink too much. You could try freezing some clear juice in popcicle trays and give that to him to suck on. Or we used to use a washcloth wrapped around crushed ice, tied with a rubber band for our kids to suck on. Since he is only 1, if he refuses to drink...don't let it go 24 hours before taking him in. We just went through this with my three year old and she went to the er twice for dehydration and the second time was admitted to the hospital because of it. Their little bodies can't handle as long as ours without liquid...especially if he starts with diarrhea. Tip that I learned recently: designate a throw up bowl or bucket that you keep close at all times. It will avoid some messes if you are able to predict when it will happen. And don't freak out when he's throwing up...just act like it's a normal thing and encourage him to "get all the yuckies out" And praise him once he's done...that's always helped our kiddos! Hope you can get some sleep tonight!

11th Mar '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting *Mary Moon*:</b>" <blockquote><b>Quoting Deanna Lynn:</b>" Thanks so much for the replies. I don't have ... [snip!] ... He managed to fall asleep from 5am to 8:30am and finally started drinking vomit free and was discharged that afternoon."</blockquote>

It is awful. My stepson was about 3 the last time he had it and he was old enough to understand but it was still horrible to watch him be so sick. I'm sorry you had to go through all that with your LO. The first time my LO threw up I had to wake up SO to sit in the bathroom with him while I pulled all the sheets and blankets off the bed and threw them in the bathtub. It's a long story, but the short version is my SO has to sleep with his soon bc he has abandonment issues from his mother leaving and he wakes up alot during the night and freaks out if he's by himself.

No diarrhea yet and he's back to sleep for the moment. I'm afraid to try to sleep or even leave his side for a minute. I literally ran to the bathroom to pee, washed my hands and ran back as fast as I could lol. Thankfully we have a bathroom in our room. If he goes a little while without dry heaving I'll offer some water when he wakes up and some pedialyte as soon as I get it. I didn't even think of using a syringe, thanks :)

11th Mar '13

How's he feeling this morning?

11th Mar '13

He seems to be feeling better this morning. I woke him up a little bit ago and after some coaxing he took about an oz of pedialyte. Crossing my fingers it stays down. He's smiling at me and moving around now. But of course now it's my turn and it's coming out both ways