2 year old fighting potty training Mama Rice 34 kids; North Las Vegas, Nevada 11980 posts
13th Mar '13

Moms of potty trained boys....HELP!! My DS is 2 1/2 and we have tried everything. Just underwear (that he picked out on his own), running around naked, charts with stickers, bribing with candy, treats, movies, stickers, and just about everything else I can think of. I am getting a lot of crap from my family about him not being potty trained. We have been trying (asking frequently, he is used to sitting on the potty, but trying not to make it too stressful) for awhile. He has no interest. The pediatrician isn't worried and I am anxious for him to be potty trained mostly because he is my last kid and can't wait to be free of diapers forever.

Any tips that have worked. What should I do, ignore my family and keep doing what I am doing?

bfenway 51 kids; Huntersville, North Carolina 1538 posts
13th Mar '13

He probally isnt ready yet and I wouldn't push it. My son didnt potty train till he was over 3. Some children take longer and he will do it in his own time

I suggest focusing on it a couple hours a day for the first couple of weeks than start to focus on it all day. But since he isnt ready I say wait a couple of months and try again. Nothing wrong with him not being trained yet

13th Mar '13

Also tell your family to F off LOL he will do it on his own time and you will only make it worse by rushing it

Mum to Adam+Jacob 3 kids; Turkey 1549 posts
13th Mar '13
Quoting Mama Rice:" Moms of potty trained boys....HELP!! My DS is 2 1/2 and we have tried everything. Just underwear (that ... [snip!] ... to be free of diapers forever. Any tips that have worked. What should I do, ignore my family and keep doing what I am doing?"

I have the same ıssue but with my nearly 3 year old son, I'm on the verge of having our 3rd baby aswell. I've totally lost the plot we have tried everything. He refuses to sit on the potty, refuses a 'big boy seat' on the toilet, if we leave him naked he will hold his bladder and bowels until he can no longer hold it but still refuses to sit on the potty....I sympthise totally with your situation :(

mommymassey 3 kids; Fort Worth, Texas 378 posts
13th Mar '13
Quoting Mama Rice:" Moms of potty trained boys....HELP!! My DS is 2 1/2 and we have tried everything. Just underwear (that ... [snip!] ... to be free of diapers forever. Any tips that have worked. What should I do, ignore my family and keep doing what I am doing?"

yes ignore your family and pressure from outside sources. He will do it successfully when HE is ready. Be patient momma (in know you want to be done with diapers) but the harder you push him to do it the more reluctance you will get from him and it will be harder. Just take it slow and keep asking/reminding him to use the potty. Is the older sibling a boy? If so, have him go in with the older one or SO. My DS potty trained at around 18 months but then had a hernia operation and went back to diapers (i was bummed) and to top it off didnt potty train again until 4 years old and when he started daycare. Hang in there and communicate with him, it will work out.

user banned 2 kids; Bat Cave, North Carolina 64587 posts
13th Mar '13

You know him better than your family does. Is he actually ready?
Our son was almost 3 when he potty trained.

It's going to do more harm than good, if you push it before he's ready. Just ignore your family and do what's best for your son.

13th Mar '13

I found my son was scared to sit. I think he thought he would fall in. I started having him go with hubby ever time he had to pee. So he learned to stand up with a step stool. He did so much better. Now going number 2 was hell and took for ever

Just Ames 2 kids; 1 angel baby; Montego Bay, Jamaica 114793 posts
13th Mar '13

My Son was a little over 3 before he decided he was ready. We just followed him and it was super easy. He was basically trained within days. We just gave him what he needed to make it happen (potty breaks, underwear and positive encouragement).

mama1821 Due July 2; 2 kids; Tacoma, Washington 1265 posts
13th Mar '13

It sounds to me like he is not ready and the more you push him, the longer its going to take. For now, I would just bury the idea and maybe go out and buy potty books to read with him daily. When he shows interest then begin the training again. Good Luck

Mama Rice 34 kids; North Las Vegas, Nevada 11980 posts
13th Mar '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Mayhem.:</b>" You know him better than your family does. Is he actually ready? Our son was almost 3 when he potty trained. ... [snip!] ... going to do more harm than good, if you push it before he's ready. Just ignore your family and do what's best for your son."</blockquote>

He holds it and has the starting signs of being ready. I am not pushing him too hard, we are trying the steps. Most days he participates willingly, just won't use the potty, and on the days he doesn't want to then we don't push him other than asking.