Ok so I know there is no way to know for sure but I'm curious to see what everyone thinks. I will be 37 weeks tomorrow (with a boy). My doctor checked me today and said I am 2.5 cm dilated and 75% thinned out. They did an ultrasound (they do one every appointment because I was only 10 weeks postpartum when I got pregnant this time....birth control failed) and said he is VERY low and he is in position "head down and face down." The doctor said it could be today or it could be 2-3 weeks from now. He wanted to set me up with an induction date (I guess because I never had my period after my daughter was born so we don't know exactly when I conceived and how far along I am). They set it for April 1st. So I have 17 days!!! I was having contractions last week and they were 6 minutes apart. They gave me a Brethine shot and it helped. I still have mild contractions here and there but nothing major. My daughter was born almost 3 hours after her due date and I was fully expecting my son to be born on or after his due date. But now I'm scheduled to induce 5 days before his due date so that's not going to happen lol. So my question is what do you all think? Do you think I will have him this week (my mom thinks so lol), next week, or do you think I will have to be induced? Also, what all is involved with induction? I know they give you Pitocin through an IV but how much more painful is labor with induction (I am getting an epidural)? I have heard it makes labor longer but I didn't know if that was so with second pregnancies.
You dont have to be induced. I would wait till baby came on his own. I went 5 days over.
Yea I was actually planning on waiting until 2 weeks after his due date before I set an induction date but the doctor seems worried about letting me go to far. They said I can either be 37 weeks or 41 weeks tomorrow so if I am further along (the furthest I could be is 4 weeks further than they estimated) then 39 weeks could really be 43 weeks which is the absolute max they let people go. Because I am high risk since they don't know the due date he wants to go ahead and schedule it at 39 weeks. I'm just worried if I am really 39 weeks (or even less) could there end up being complications to my son from inducing early?
Quoting Samantha Trivett:" Yea I was actually planning on waiting until 2 weeks after his due date before I set an induction date ... [snip!] ... I'm just worried if I am really 39 weeks (or even less) could there end up being complications to my son from inducing early?"
That sucks they have no idea how far you are.
They didn't' do an early dating ultrasound? I had two and both were just about right on (we TTC). Early ones are fairly accurate.
They could do an ultrasound to check the placenta to make sure it's not deteriorating. That'd be some indication that you're not 43/44 wks.
I fought with medicaid to get approved. I was 20 weeks before Medicaid finally approved me so I couldn't even see a doctor until 20 weeks. When I went in for my first appointment they did the anatomy, gender, and first ultrasound all in one. So the earliest ultrasound I had done is 20 weeks.
Ohhh ok. Yeah I dont' think they are as accurate at that point.
Though you could have gone earlier. Medicaid pays 3 months prier... at least that's what i heard though I suppose each state could be different.
But still, they can monitor your placenta and let baby come on it's own.
Quoting Naturally Alternative~21w:" Ohhh ok. Yeah I dont' think they are as accurate at that point. Though you could have gone earlier. ... [snip!] ... heard though I suppose each state could be different. But still, they can monitor your placenta and let baby come on it's own."
I didn't know that about medicaid paying 3 months back. Either way it wouldn't have helped me though. We tried to get doctor's to agree to bill us but no one would. They all refused to bill us because I didn't have insurance and because I still owe medical bills from my last pregnancy. We ran around like idiots trying to figure out what to do. I went to the local pregnancy center even but they don't have an ultrasound machine so that didn't help. As for not being induced I agree about them monitoring me. We shall see. I might end up arguing with him about it.