19 weeks pregnant no insurance, no medicaid MariyamB Due August 22; 2 kids; Bangor, Maine 168 posts
26th Mar '13

im 19 weeks pregnant with no insurance and denied medicaid. What other options are there for me? Even though we are denied medicaid my husband doesnt have the money for private health insurance, we were denied because i am not a resident of my state.

i Have tried calling different clinics that have a sliding scale fee for the uninsured but in my state it is still very costly, even more then private insurance.I have tried the community health center, but no luck. Still very costly. I tried calling midwives in my area for home birth options but still very expensive at 4000-5000.

Any other options for me? i'm afraid i will deliver this baby in my home by myself or be in serious debt. I did not think social services would give us such a hard time about medicaid. They denied me because I not yet a resident of my state. I live right near canada and im canadian citizen, makes me want to move back to Canada. I'm so desperate right now, i dont know what to do.

Mutha. TTC since Jan 1995; 3830 posts
26th Mar '13

I see you live in Maine, so do I. I'm not sure if any doctors will take you with no insurance, but I do know the hospital cannot turn you away. You could go there for check ups & such I guess & you could deliver your baby there. It'll cost a lot but it's an option.

user banned Lesbos, Greece 95211 posts
26th Mar '13

Have you checked with Planned Parenthood? Some clinics offer basic prenatal care or they can point you into the right direction for assistance in paying.

lolajessup Due July 25; 2 kids; 1 angel baby; Beaverton, Michigan 44057 posts
26th Mar '13

I'd honestly go back to Canada for my preg.

Naturally Alternative 34 kids; 2 angel babies; Lafayette, Louisiana 5640 posts
26th Mar '13
Quoting lolajessup:" I'd honestly go back to Canada for my preg."

This. Or pay for a mid wife. 5k is a lot but nothing compared to the expense of an uninsured hospital stay and visits.

Some will do payment plans or even a discount for cash.

jazzzzz* 2 kids; Beverly Hills, California 7558 posts
26th Mar '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting lolajessup:</b>" I'd honestly go back to Canada for my preg."</blockquote>

!!

MariyamB Due August 22; 2 kids; Bangor, Maine 168 posts
26th Mar '13
Quoting lolajessup:" I'd honestly go back to Canada for my preg."

the problem is, if i go back to canada my husband won't be able to be there at the birth. He is legal in the country with drivers license, ssn and everything but he has a case pending with immigration that prohibits him from coming back into the country if he leaves.

26th Mar '13
Quoting MariyamBezhan:" the problem is, if i go back to canada my husband won't be able to be there at the birth. He is legal ... [snip!] ... and everything but he has a case pending with immigration that prohibits him from coming back into the country if he leaves."

How come you can't become a citizen here?

Shannon +4 52 kids; Beaumont, Alberta 7542 posts
26th Mar '13

I would move back and have the baby in canada

MariyamB Due August 22; 2 kids; Bangor, Maine 168 posts
26th Mar '13
Quoting ♥ExpectingOurLast:" How come you can't become a citizen here?"

im a citizen here too just not a resident of my state.i previously lived on the west coast but by any means i could not find employment there and have no other way there to survive, also my husband is working here.

Naturally Alternative 34 kids; 2 angel babies; Lafayette, Louisiana 5640 posts
26th Mar '13
Quoting MariyamBezhan:" im a citizen here too just not a resident of my state.i previously lived on the west coast but by any ... [snip!] ... but by any means i could not find employment there and have no other way there to survive, also my husband is working here."

What would it take to become a resident? Don't you just have to prove residency? I just moved to LA and got insurance after only living here 4 months. Though each state is different.

26th Mar '13
Quoting MariyamBezhan:" im a citizen here too just not a resident of my state.i previously lived on the west coast but by any ... [snip!] ... but by any means i could not find employment there and have no other way there to survive, also my husband is working here."

Oh. How hard would it be to become a resident in Maine? I've never lived any where but here so Idk.

Skye Wilkinson Due April 6; 2 kids; Pennsylvania 16 posts
26th Mar '13

The only thing you need to state your residency is something with your name and address on it. If your husband has insurance provided through his job, get insurance for you and go back to Medicaid, they help pay the difference. I've never heard of anyone being denied Medicaid while pregnant. Almost anyone can get it

lolajessup Due July 25; 2 kids; 1 angel baby; Beaverton, Michigan 44057 posts
26th Mar '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Skye Wilkinson:</b>" The only thing you need to state your residency is something with your name and address on it. If your ... [snip!] ... they help pay the difference. I've never heard of anyone being denied Medicaid while pregnant. Almost anyone can get it"</blockquote>

This. Do u have a drivers license? Or apply for Medicaid in your old state? Idk. Or pay the $5000 or not have your husband there. That's about all your choices.

Mamanista. Due September 30; 1 child; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 20962 posts
26th Mar '13

I'd just travel to Canada for appointments and for labor. I've heard it's better to deliver over there anyway.