2 year old and deployment Mama McNeely 2 kids; Bremerton, Washington 5117 posts
28th Mar '13

My DH has been in the navy for almost 6 years and now we are facing our first deployment. I have a 2 year old and 2 month old. I am so worried about how this will affect my son. How is he going to understand. Will he understand at all? My husband is worried he will be mad at him for leaving. Any advice from anyone who has been through this with a 2 year old please comment.

❀Sarah❀ 2 kids; Cocking, EU, Europe 123038 posts
status 28th Mar '13

My husband has deployed when our son was 2 months, 14 months, 3 and 4.

This one we're currently doing he has let me know hes mad but mostly at me. He thinks I sent dad away even though we werent fighting or anything. But we do have a routine, thats key he doesnt miss dad as much when hes looking forward to things. School, play groups, errands. Staying busy helps us. Reading books about how daddy left but is coming back helps.

We got a daddy doll for the 2nd deployment, he still has it and it helps A LOT. He can talk to daddy whenever he wants.

s00nt0be04 4 kids; Louisville, Kentucky 543 posts
28th Mar '13

Explain that daddy has to leave for work.

P Pickle Pants 98 kids; California 20522 posts
28th Mar '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Mama McNeely:</b>" My DH has been in the navy for almost 6 years and now we are facing our first deployment. I have a 2 ... [snip!] ... worried he will be mad at him for leaving. Any advice from anyone who has been through this with a 2 year old please comment."</blockquote>

My son was 2.5 when DH left.

Just tell him what's happening and answer his questions and keep himVERY busy so time flies!

user banned Due January 20; 33 kids; North Carolina 14662 posts
28th Mar '13
Quoting ⚓ Sarah ⚓:" My husband has deployed when our son was 2 months, 14 months, 3 and 4. This one we're currently doing ... [snip!] ... We got a daddy doll for the 2nd deployment, he still has it and it helps A LOT. He can talk to daddy whenever he wants. "

Definitely a daddy doll.
Heathen was 3 when he left, and turned 4 about month later. We also got her a snuggle pillow with a family picture on it, through this site http://www.pillowprojectusa.com/
It's completely free, they just ask for a small donation to cover shipping.
DH also recorded himself reading some books and we would make that part of her bedtime routine, since we always read stories before bed.
Routines are a MUST. So if you have something in place now, keep it up.
Just before he left, we sat down with her and explained to her that daddy had to leave for work. He'd be gone for a while, but he would come back. We've also been able to Skype once a week, so that has helped tremendously.
Now that he's coming home in a few weeks, we're still doing our routines. And we aren't making a huge deal about it, at least not until a few days before. She knows he'll be home soon, so she has that to look forward to. But I think that if we had a countdown, it would just make matters worse.

Routines also work out for you too. Keep yourself busy, have a hobby, go out with your girlfriends for lunch. It will make it all easier

Mama McNeely 2 kids; Bremerton, Washington 5117 posts
28th Mar '13

Thank you everyone for the advice. I did get him a daddy doll and it should be here in a couple weeks as well as recordable books etc.

Mama McNeely 2 kids; Bremerton, Washington 5117 posts
28th Mar '13
Quoting Pirate Hooker {BAMW}:" Definitely a daddy doll. Heathen was 3 when he left, and turned 4 about month later. We also got her ... [snip!] ... also work out for you too. Keep yourself busy, have a hobby, go out with your girlfriends for lunch. It will make it all easier"

Thank you for that link. Ordered one : )