11 month old refusing bottle? MunchkinWrangler 4 kids; Rīga, Latvia 46778 posts
status 28th Mar '13

My son turns one in a few weeks.
For the past few days he's been refusing his bottles. He won't take more than a couple ounces per feeding.

Could this be a sign that he's ready to kick the bottle? I'm almost wondering if I should just start offering milk/water with meals and then just encourage a big bottle in the morning and before bed to ensure he's getting the nutrients he needs.

He was EBF until nearly 10 months old, and since then, after having to switch to formula, I've been just letting him have as much as he liked because I always fed on demand. He'd been taking nearly 40 ounces of formula a day on some days. Today, for example, he only had about 10 ounces... and refused another bottle before bed... but wanted his sippy of water. He would just throw the formula if I gave it to him and sign for his cup instead.

DeanJade&Mak's Mom 3 kids; Covina, CA, United States 8822 posts
28th Mar '13

maks hated his bottles i stopped bf at 11 months he wanted nothing to do withh them, we gave him a sippy with handles and he loved it...

Elle With FOUR! 4 kids; Wichita, KS, United States 18964 posts
28th Mar '13

Both of my boys were bottle weaned well before 11 months - we start cuppies around 9 months during the day, and usually about a month later they're using them for everything all the time. My daughter was the only one htat used it longer, and it was mainly because she had been so ill I babied her too long.

Mrs.Mud 6 kids; 2 angel babies; North Dakota 3231 posts
28th Mar '13

Will he take the formula in a sippy?

MunchkinWrangler 4 kids; Rīga, Latvia 46778 posts
status 28th Mar '13
Quoting DeanJade&Mak's Mom:" maks hated his bottles i stopped bf at 11 months he wanted nothing to do withh them, we gave him a sippy with handles and he loved it..."

Its not the bottle itself. It's the formula. Since transitioning to the formula he'd been taking it very well. Loved his bottles. Now, all of a sudden he doesn't want them. He wants water. I can get him to take a couple bottles of formula a day, but that's about it.

On top of that, he won't drink anything other than water from a cup. If he has formula he wont drink it unless its in a bottle.

status 28th Mar '13
Quoting Mrs.Mud:" Will he take the formula in a sippy?"

No.

I'm not sure if when he's on regular milk if that might change, though. I plan to only offer the regular milk in a cup when I introduce it. I would have just put him straight to a cup, but he was a b**b-monster and had a really hard transition. My supply dried up completely in a matter of days so I really had to just get him to take the formula however worked.

♥garrett&adalyn 2 kids; Texas 10762 posts
28th Mar '13

I would just start transitioning to milk in a silly cup then. My son was completely off formula about 2 weeks before he turned one because he liked milk better.

status 28th Mar '13
Quoting gare bear's mommy +1:" I would just start transitioning to milk in a silly cup then. My son was completely off formula about 2 weeks before he turned one because he liked milk better."

I have been tempted but I just worry he won't be getting the fats he needs. I don't expect him to tolerate the whole milk well... my other kids got constipated on it, so I will probably end up giving him Almond milk, which is good but lacks in the fat he needs.

♥garrett&adalyn 2 kids; Texas 10762 posts
28th Mar '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting MunchkinWrangler:</b>" I have been tempted but I just worry he won't be getting the fats he needs. I don't expect him to tolerate ... [snip!] ... kids got constipated on it, so I will probably end up giving him Almond milk, which is good but lacks in the fat he needs. . "</blockquote>

What if you mixed it? Would it still give him problems?