36 week home visit!! (homebirth) mommy5916 Due October 7 (girl); 5 kids; California 2888 posts
1st Apr '13

i have our 36 home visit tomorrow! lol and ive been cleaning like a mad woman all weekend. what should i expect tomorrow from my midwife? i know with an ob, thats when you would usely have a gbs test, a cervical check, and all that stuff, but this is my first home birth, so im not sure

NICKEL☮POLIS 2 kids; Ontario 6268 posts
1st Apr '13

Does she usually come to your house? If not it's probably just to get familiar with it and make sure there's enough space etc for the birth (if you're using a birthing tub) other than that I'm not really sure.. probably like a normal visit, talk about how you're feeling, labour etc.
I'm excited for a homebirth, plan on having one this go. :)

mommy5916 Due October 7 (girl); 5 kids; California 2888 posts
1st Apr '13
Quoting NICKEL☮POLIS:" Does she usually come to your house? If not it's probably just to get familiar with it and make sure ... [snip!] ... like a normal visit, talk about how you're feeling, labour etc. I'm excited for a homebirth, plan on having one this go. :)"

no, uselly we go to her home office for our appointments, she asked that we have all our birth supplies ready, so im assuming your right, shes coming to make sure everything is ready!! im excited, this will be my first home birth, but 5th baby and my first that will be a non pit birth.

NICKEL☮POLIS 2 kids; Ontario 6268 posts
1st Apr '13
Quoting mommy5916:" no, uselly we go to her home office for our appointments, she asked that we have all our birth supplies ... [snip!] ... everything is ready!! im excited, this will be my first home birth, but 5th baby and my first that will be a non pit birth. "

That is awesome good for you momma! I'm going to PT you so I can see how it goes. :)

.:Lady SCARcastic:. 1 child; California 9124 posts
1st Apr '13

Usually home visits are so they can get the lay of the land, know where sinks are, get a feel for the area.. my midwife didn't check me til I was 7cm dilated.. its not normal for her to check early, but maybe yours is different.

1st Apr '13

Do you live in Sac? (guessing from the 916 in your name lol)

1st Apr '13
Quoting .:Lady SCARcastic:.:" Do you live in Sac? (guessing from the 916 in your name lol)"

lol rancho cordova actully

1st Apr '13
Quoting mommy5916:" lol rancho cordova actully "

Ah ok! I'm in Sonora.. I wish I knew more midwifes out of my immediate area!! lol

1st Apr '13
Quoting .:Lady SCARcastic:.:" Ah ok! I'm in Sonora.. I wish I knew more midwifes out of my immediate area!! lol"

im seeing tuesday at new earth midwifery, shes awesome!!!

1st Apr '13
Quoting mommy5916:" im seeing tuesday at new earth midwifery, shes awesome!!! "

I'll have to start going around and meeting more! I'm working on becoming a doula (my first birth is in about a month.. I'm so excited!!) and the more women I can work with the better :)

1st Apr '13

Just looked up their site - thats awesome! Is it like a midwifery birthing center type deal? Or are all their offices just in one place? My sister (training MW) and the others in the area are trying to find a way to all come together and have a birth center to help support each other

1st Apr '13
Quoting .:Lady SCARcastic:.:" I'll have to start going around and meeting more! I'm working on becoming a doula (my first birth is in about a month.. I'm so excited!!) and the more women I can work with the better :)"

doulas are awesome, i so wish i would have knew more with my first 4 kids :( . my births were all induced and i lacked so much support, both from my partner and hospital staff. but this time around, my husband was very open to hb, and the natural aspect of it! kinda sad this is my last, but its ok, at least ill get to finely have this experience

1st Apr '13
Quoting .:Lady SCARcastic:.:" Just looked up their site - thats awesome! Is it like a midwifery birthing center type deal? Or are all ... [snip!] ... MW) and the others in the area are trying to find a way to all come together and have a birth center to help support each other"

no she only does home births

1st Apr '13
Quoting mommy5916:" doulas are awesome, i so wish i would have knew more with my first 4 kids :( . my births were all induced ... [snip!] ... to hb, and the natural aspect of it! kinda sad this is my last, but its ok, at least ill get to finely have this experience "

It will be awesome :) Home births are so empowering!

Little Bug's Momma 18 kids; North Carolina 5559 posts
1st Apr '13

mine came to get a feel for where I live so they dont get lost on the birthing day... know where everything is in the home.
we drank tea and just chatted for a cpl hours then we went over my birth plan thoroughly.
checked my BP, urine,babys position, and heart beat
made sure I had everything for the birth kit and
I also met her 2 birthing assistants she has incase there is another mama in labor at the same time as me /( her assistant actually was the one that was there when I delivered my baby because another mom went into labor and delivered right before me)