4.5 month old with pertussis, no weight gain in a month... MissMommy04! 4 kids; Eau Claire, Wisconsin 2939 posts
6th Apr '13

Did anyone elses baby have pertussis? And if so, did they have an issue gaining weight? Falen is 4.5 months now (will be 5 months on the 21st) and weighs 12lb 11oz and has went up & down in weight but has not went above 13lbs yet.

My other babies were big and smooshy LOL I am wondering is this small? Or does it just seem that way to me because Im used to big babies? Her 3-6 month onesies hang down at her knees. Her head was in the 99% ile but her length for weight was in the 9%ile.. The doc has been concerned about her weight but with the pertussis she has been throwing up multiple times a day. So even when I feed her a lot it comes out anyway :/ It almost seems like a full tummy makes it worse.

TPalermo Due October 12; 32 kids; New Hampshire 19 posts
6th Apr '13

Quoting MissMommy04!:" Did anyone elses baby have pertussis? And if so, did they have an issue gaining weight? Falen is 4.5 ... [snip!] ... up multiple times a day. So even when I feed her a lot it comes out anyway :/ It almost seems like a full tummy makes it worse."

My doctor and I were just talking about pertussis a couple of weeks ago because his kids just got over a case of it last fall. He was telling me that vomiting when the belly is too full is very common with the virus. The trick is to never let the belly get to full. Try feeding very small amounts more often. Also, dehydration can become a major issue, so you might also try watering down the milk just a little to hydrate a a bit more and make the milk less rich on the belly. My doctor's kids are older, but he did something similar for his kids and it seemed to help a lot.

MissMommy04! 4 kids; Eau Claire, Wisconsin 2939 posts
6th Apr '13
Quoting TPalermo:" "

I wouldnt water it down, I breastfeed so its watery in the beginning and fattening towards the end of the feeding. My older daughter also had it (shes 4) and was vomiting a lot too, but is past that now, its just a little annoying cough at this point. Poor Falen has had this awful cough for 3 weeks. I hope she fattens up once it is over with!!

TPalermo Due October 12; 32 kids; New Hampshire 19 posts
6th Apr '13
Quoting MissMommy04!:" I wouldnt water it down, I breastfeed so its watery in the beginning and fattening towards the end ... [snip!] ... annoying cough at this point. Poor Falen has had this awful cough for 3 weeks. I hope she fattens up once it is over with!!"

Yeah, watering down breastmilk may not be the best of ideas. Still, trying really small meals more often may help. I hope Falen starts feeling better soon!

MissMommy04! 4 kids; Eau Claire, Wisconsin 2939 posts
6th Apr '13
Quoting TPalermo:" Yeah, watering down breastmilk may not be the best of ideas. Still, trying really small meals more often may help. I hope Falen starts feeling better soon!"

thank you! :)