13 month old not tolerating whole milk...help? Josh's Wifey 1 child; Mississippi 35 posts
7th Apr '13

I started my daughter on whole milk a little over a week ago & ever since she's been waking multiple times at night with tummy aches and taking a long time to go back to sleep. I give her gas medicine which helps but she's only doing this at night. She's off and on constipated and that too is making he tummy cramp. I've been offering more juice and less milk which is a temporary fix. I'm going to call her pedi in the morning but was just wondering what to do in the meantime. I know she needs the calcium & vitamins etc from the milk but i'm tired of seeing her hurting every night. What's an alternative & what did you do (if this happened to your LO) to help fix things? Thanks.

MommyToWesley 1 child; Delaware 3847 posts
7th Apr '13

I would put her on a toddler formula instead of the milk.

[[Breezy]] 1 child; Savannah, Georgia 12709 posts
status 7th Apr '13

She doesn't need juice or cow's milk. You could give her almond milk - it actually has more calcium than cow's milk and it won't upset her tummy. It's much better for you. :)

user banned 2 kids; Hamilton, Ontario 19220 posts
7th Apr '13

my son has always been on almond milk.

cows milk is awful.

Mom[Oh] Due January 7; 1 child; Indiana 580 posts
7th Apr '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting [[Breezy]]:</b>" She doesn't need juice or cow's milk. You could give her almond milk - it actually has more calcium than cow's milk and it won't upset her tummy. It's much better for you. :)"</blockquote>

I want to do this with my daughter.
Or goats milk.

♥ supermari ♥ 2 kids; Dallas, TX, United States 15037 posts
7th Apr '13

almond milk is a good substitute

lolajessup Due July 25; 2 kids; 1 angel baby; Beaverton, Michigan 44057 posts
7th Apr '13

Almond or goats milk for sure!!!! Whole milk can be harsh on some little tummies :(

JΔS Georgia 70884 posts
7th Apr '13

Try almond milk. Humans aren't suppose to be able to tolerate cow's milk anyway so your daughters reaction is to be expected.

Momlette~29weeks Due December 25; 2 kids; Ohio 25470 posts
7th Apr '13

We use almond milk for the kids. My son is allergic to dairy. He used to do that too. Wake up with stomach cramps and cry all night.

killingbird 5evr 2 kids; 1 angel baby; North Carolina 10105 posts
7th Apr '13

My son is lactose intolerant and he loves almond milk but it can be a tad expensive. We switch between that and lactaid. (lactose free milk)

user banned Due November 26; 1 child; Parkersburg, West Virginia 9548 posts
7th Apr '13
Quoting Josh's Wifey:" I started my daughter on whole milk a little over a week ago & ever since she's been waking multiple ... [snip!] ... her hurting every night. What's an alternative & what did you do (if this happened to your LO) to help fix things? Thanks."

she does not need cows milk its actually low in vitamins compared to other foods. i put dd on almond milk a couple days ago she is 15 months. i found out im pregnant so im trying to wean her lol. i bought her vanillia and chocolate lavored and it has less fat and sugar than cows milk so thats good.

Josh's Wifey 1 child; Mississippi 35 posts
7th Apr '13

Thanks to all of you! Looks like we will be trying almond milk. I'm guessing she may be lactose intolerant seeing how her dad & I went thru this as children but outgrew it. Thanks again :)