15 month old in FF car seat. Severus Snape Due March 15; 1 child; Tennessee 3511 posts
7th Apr '13

So my MIL comes over today to pick up LO (she wanted a grandparents day. We do it all the time. No big dearl) and said "You realize that LO is old enough to be forward facing now right?"

I was like uhh wrong. I told her actually no it's much more dangerous to be FF than RF and that she should stay RF until 2 (at least that's what I thought I read) She just kind of nodded and smiled but I don't think she listened to me at all. smh She wants LO to be able to see....

MIL is a wonderful person, but has always preferred to do things her way rather than mine. I have no idea if she's going to respect my wishes or not. I don't think she'd tell me honestly if she wasn't.

Do you think I should no longer allow her to drive LO around? What's the official car seat rules/weight limits etc. Am I being ridiculous? TIA ladies.

CerealMakerWife♥ TTC since Apr 2013; 5 kids; Ukraine 36287 posts
7th Apr '13

1 year and 20lbs is the law for FF, but you are right. It is much safer to RF as long as possible.

♥Heather♥ Due July 29; 2 kids; 3 angel babies; Great Lakes, IL, United States 26766 posts
status 7th Apr '13

every state has different laws so check your state laws but normally it's 1 & 20 lbs but recommended to go until 2 or longer.

Angela Nichols 2 kids; California 464 posts
7th Apr '13

recommended is 2 years, law is 20 pounds and 1 yr. some seats say 22 pounds and 1 yr,

la_mas_hermosa Due July 22; 17 kids; Minneapolis, Minnesota 6095 posts
7th Apr '13

Both are correct. She IS old enough to FF, assuming she is at least 20lbs, and yes, it is safer to RF as long as possible.

♥MamaToSilas♥ 1 child; Illinois 9260 posts
status 7th Apr '13

1 year and 20lbs is the law. Its recommended till 2 years though. My carseat rear faces to 40lbs. So thats what Im going to try to do. Dont know. Its your choice what you want to do.

Severus Snape Due March 15; 1 child; Tennessee 3511 posts
7th Apr '13

Ok thank you ladies. I think restricting her from driving LO might be extreme then but I certainty won't be switching her around in my car until later. Thanks again!

BunnyGirl19 Due December 13; 3 kids; 10 angel babies; Oregon 16052 posts
7th Apr '13

It depends on your state. Here the law is 20 lb and 1 year to flip to FF. after that it's vague and it's some form of seat or booster until 4'9".

SavageDarling 3 kids; Webster, Massachusetts 10381 posts
7th Apr '13

You should go install the carseat in her car yourself and check it when you get her back to make sure it's still rear facing. Make sure your mil ones that its something you're really serious about and you won't be letting it slide.

I just totaled my car on Friday. Someone cut me off on the freeway and I swerved to avoid him hitting me and lost control. My car spun out and I slid across three lanes (while spinning) and hit a guard rail with the rear fender and whole passenger side of my car. My two-year-old was in the back seat on the passenger side rear facing and she was jostled a bit but was completely fine. Not a bruise, nothing is sore, nothing. He carseat absorbed the entire force of the crash for her. The EMTs that responded to the crash said that it was incredibly lucky that she was still rear facing. I'm not turning her for as long as I can avoid it.

Flag 1 child; Newmarket, Ontario 1681 posts
7th Apr '13
Quoting Lilly'smommy5:" Ok thank you ladies. I think restricting her from driving LO might be extreme then but I certainty won't be switching her around in my car until later. Thanks again!"

Could you possibly politely tell her this in conversation? "I know its legal, but these organizations (big list here) recommend not until the age of two, and I'm not comfortable with her forward facing yet. I saw a video of the affects of forward facing in an accident, and worry she would break her neck!"

♥Heather♥ Due July 29; 2 kids; 3 angel babies; Great Lakes, IL, United States 26766 posts
status 7th Apr '13
Quoting SavageDarling:" You should go install the carseat in her car yourself and check it when you get her back to make sure ... [snip!] ... the crash said that it was incredibly lucky that she was still rear facing. I'm not turning her for as long as I can avoid it."

glad to hear she was okay & I hope you are okay also.

7th Apr '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting BunnyGirl19:</b>" It depends on your state. Here the law is 20 lb and 1 year to flip to FF. after that it's vague and it's some form of seat or booster until 4'9"."</blockquote>

Passed a year and 20lbs they have to be at least 4yrs AND 40 lbs before they aren't in a 5-point-harness anymore. No boosters until at least 4yrs and 40lbs.

7th Apr '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Faith & Serenity's Mom:</b>" glad to hear she was okay & I hope you are okay also. "</blockquote>

I'm ok. Sore and I startd having contractions but they stopped on their own after about an hour at l&d. Scary though. So glad I still had her rearfacing.

May♥ 1 child; Texas 9167 posts
7th Apr '13

I just had this talk with my MIL last night because their getting a carseat for their car. :D

Honestly, I would not go as far as to not let her take her at all. Hopefully she will respect your wishes.

Severus Snape Due March 15; 1 child; Tennessee 3511 posts
7th Apr '13
Quoting Flag:" Could you possibly politely tell her this in conversation? "I know its legal, but these organizations ... [snip!] ... her forward facing yet. I saw a video of the affects of forward facing in an accident, and worry she would break her neck!""

I did tell her that it was more dangerous to FF and I want LO to stay FF until she turns 2, but like I said, she just kind of smiled and nodded. I'm not sure she is going to do what I said. She's one of those if she thinks it's fine then what I don't know won't hurt me kind of things.