Reply
6 year old cant swallow Take me as I am 18 kids; Wyoming 1669 posts
11th Apr '13

So my 6 year old just in the past week has been having a hard time swallowing. Liquids are fine and most of the time he has a hard time swallowing food or he can't swallow it at all. He's got his tonsils and adenoids removed years ago. It's not a all day every day thing,( he's in no pain and not sick)well it happens mostly at night at dinner. He says he fine at lunch at school, and sometimes he has issues in the morning. So I think I'll call and make an appointment with an ENT doctor but in the mean time anyone have any thoughts????? TIA

☃ ❄ ☃ ~, FL, United States 68328 posts
status 11th Apr '13

No idea, but you could puree his food so it's like a shake.

Minion 3 kids; ., GA, United States 21802 posts
11th Apr '13

I have been getting like that sometimes lately. Like ill try to swallow, but the food won't go down and it gets stuck and I feel like I'm choking. :(
If you figure out what it is please let us know.



I hope your little boy turns out just fine. :)

Take me as I am 18 kids; Wyoming 1669 posts
11th Apr '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Minion:</b>" I have been getting like that sometimes lately. Like ill try to swallow, but the food won't go down and ... [snip!] ... I feel like I'm choking. :( If you figure out what it is please let us know. I hope your little boy turns out just fine. :)"</blockquote>




Thanks. That's him to a T. Ill keep you posted.

user banned Lesbos, Greece 95211 posts
11th Apr '13

Sounds like me. I have dysphgia but also suffer from acid reflux and eosinophilic esophagitis. You're actually (probably) better off seeing a GI specialist if he's having issues with swallowing.

Take me as I am 18 kids; Wyoming 1669 posts
11th Apr '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Saffy the Dragon Slayer:</b>" Sounds like me. I have dysphgia but also suffer from acid reflux and eosinophilic esophagitis. You're actually (probably) better off seeing a GI specialist if he's having issues with swallowing."</blockquote>




Ok, thanks for the info! With what you have what do you have to do to cope with it and eat? Ill look them up. Thanks again

user banned Lesbos, Greece 95211 posts
11th Apr '13
Quoting Take me as I am:" <blockquote><b>Quoting Saffy the Dragon Slayer:</b>" Sounds like me. I have dysphgia ... [snip!] ... Ok, thanks for the info! With what you have what do you have to do to cope with it and eat? Ill look them up. Thanks again"


I take a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) which is for my reflux. Dysphagia just makes me take small bites of food...I cut and tear up everything into pieces the size of what I'd feed my 2 year old. I'm also on a steroidal inhaler typically used for asthma but because it helps with irritation, it works for the EE. Eosinophils show up when there's an irritant (typically an allergen) and swell which thickens the esophagus. I've only had ONE instance where food impaction has occurred during the day. Mine generally occurs during or after dinner.



If you do go see a GI doctor, they will likely order an EGD done where he will be sedated and they stick a camera down his throat for pictures. If they find it necessary, they will take a biopsy to determine whether or not it is EE.

user banned Lesbos, Greece 95211 posts
11th Apr '13

In the meantime, offer him carbonated drinks during meals. Carbonated water or juice if offering him caffeine-free soda doesn't sit well. The carbonation helps push down food.



If it does get stuck and he can't get it out of his esophagus in 30 minutes after it has occurred, take him to the ER. He will not suffocate if it gets stuck in his esophagus but he won't be able to swallow and will continue to cough up saliva and anything else that is attempted to be swallowed.



So, give him a bucket or grocery bag and hop over to the ER if it occurs. If it does, make sure you tell them exactly what he has eaten, when it occurred, and that he's been having issues with swallowing prior to the occurrence.

Take me as I am 18 kids; Wyoming 1669 posts
11th Apr '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Saffy the Dragon Slayer:</b>" I take a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) which is for my reflux. Dysphagia just makes me take small bites ... [snip!] ... a camera down his throat for pictures. If they find it necessary, they will take a biopsy to determine whether or not it is EE."</blockquote>




Wow that's a lot to take in. Thank you for all that. All this happens is mainly at night. (the first time it happened) he was at his grandparents house and it got so bad and he got so upset SOs mom gave him a puff of an inhaler and in a couple minutes he was ok. Kinda freaky. Guess ill be making calls to a GI doc tomorrow.

user banned Lesbos, Greece 95211 posts
11th Apr '13
Quoting Take me as I am:" <blockquote><b>Quoting Saffy the Dragon Slayer:</b>" I take a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) ... [snip!] ... gave him a puff of an inhaler and in a couple minutes he was ok. Kinda freaky. Guess ill be making calls to a GI doc tomorrow."

It is scary the first few times but it's routine for me. :x There's less time between stuck food which probably means I need to see my GI doctor again for another EGD and dilation before I end up in the ER. :evil:



GI issues suck, no matter how old someone is.

Take me as I am 18 kids; Wyoming 1669 posts
11th Apr '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Saffy the Dragon Slayer:</b>" It is scary the first few times but it's routine for me. :x There's less time between stuck food which ... [snip!] ... GI doctor again for another EGD and dilation before I end up in the ER. :evil: GI issues suck, no matter how old someone is."</blockquote>




After reading about something getting stuck and the saliva, he was spitting/foaming at the mouth/nose for a couple minutes then he said it was ok. Crazy and sad. Does it have anything to do with him being a little over weight?

user banned Lesbos, Greece 95211 posts
12th Apr '13
Quoting Take me as I am:" <blockquote><b>Quoting Saffy the Dragon Slayer:</b>" It is scary the first few times ... [snip!] ... for a couple minutes then he said it was ok. Crazy and sad. Does it have anything to do with him being a little over weight?"


No.
I've had it overweight and average weight.



The EE is either an autoimmune disorder or an allergic reaction; the community is divided on it right now.

Take me as I am 18 kids; Wyoming 1669 posts
12th Apr '13
Quoting Saffy the Dragon Slayer:" No. I've had it overweight and average weight. The EE is either an autoimmune disorder or an allergic reaction; the community is divided on it right now."



I thank you for all the info you have given me. I would have never thought about any of this. Making apts. today!