10 month old developing fear S ♥ J ♥ L 1 child; 3 angel babies; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 3695 posts
17th Apr '13

Lately DS has been hysterically crying when I put him down to bed. Could he be possibly be developing a fear of the dark? Or fear of being alone?

This might sound like a stupid question but I am at a loss for why he's starting to act like this. He isn't teething at the moment, and it's always after his night time feeding so he isn't hungry. I don't know what else this could be.

He did have a scare of being alone in a crib at my moms house the past few days since we are trying to get him to nap at her house. Could that have made him develop this anxiety of being alone at night?

SubLowe 1 child; Oceanside, California 15387 posts
17th Apr '13

if that was my kiddo, i would just co-sleep or keep her bed in our bedroom

Mirror Seeing 1 child; 1 angel baby; Kilgore, Texas 2507 posts
17th Apr '13

Quite possibly. I think that at this stage, they also go through a big fussy period. More than likely you'll just have to wait it out or, like someone else said, co- sleep. Either by him in your bed or moving the crib to your room. You'll have a harder time later though if you break routine. Just my opinion.

Good luck, I'm dealing with the same with my 1 year old.

S ♥ J ♥ L 1 child; 3 angel babies; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 3695 posts
17th Apr '13
Quoting OneLoveMama:" if that was my kiddo, i would just co-sleep or keep her bed in our bedroom"

he is usually SUCH a good sleeper. I've never had a problem putting him to bed. I think maybe trying to introduce a new room and bed at my mom's is scaring him in his own bed? I go in and rock him to sleep and he'll be fine after that.

I can't co-sleep now since I am on seeping medication so I'm too scared. I use to co-sleep until he was about 4 months. I miss it :(

17th Apr '13
Quoting Mirror Seeing:" Quite possibly. I think that at this stage, they also go through a big fussy period. More than likely ... [snip!] ... a harder time later though if you break routine. Just my opinion. Good luck, I'm dealing with the same with my 1 year old."

I so wish I could co-sleep again! ugh! I know if we brought the crib into our room, we would never get him out. He was in our room until he was about 6 months and we moved him into his own bedroom.

I co-slept with him once for a nap a few weeks ago, and trying to get him back into his crib at nap time was a b***h! lol

hopefully this is just a little temporary thing and tomorrow night will be better. I just hate seeing him freak out when I'm right there to comfort him.

17th Apr '13
Quoting S ♥ J ♥ L:" I so wish I could co-sleep again! ugh! I know if we brought the crib into our room, we would never get ... [snip!] ... little temporary thing and tomorrow night will be better. I just hate seeing him freak out when I'm right there to comfort him."

Yea I know what you mean. I co-slept in our bed on and off until M was about 5 months old then switched him. Everything was fine and he slept at least 10 hours or more a night. Then the fussiness period came and I'm just NOW getting him back into his crib. I figured it was time now that he's a year old because he takes up so much more room and doesn't sleep well with me. He even threw up on himself during nap time and I wasn't even letting him CIO longer than 5 min at a time! lol Just gotta stick to my guns.

17th Apr '13
Quoting Mirror Seeing:" Yea I know what you mean. I co-slept in our bed on and off until M was about 5 months old then switched ... [snip!] ... up on himself during nap time and I wasn't even letting him CIO longer than 5 min at a time! lol Just gotta stick to my guns."

I give DS about 10 minutes before I go in there. Of course if he is crying hysterically I go right in. But if he's just babbling or fussing, I give him 10 minutes and he usually conks out after 5 or 6 minutes.

My mom suggested that maybe since he is getting older, his bedtime may change and he is going to want to stay up later. I hope to god that isn't the case! lol 9pm is late enough for me!

17th Apr '13
Quoting S ♥ J ♥ L:" I give DS about 10 minutes before I go in there. Of course if he is crying hysterically I go right in. ... [snip!] ... bedtime may change and he is going to want to stay up later. I hope to god that isn't the case! lol 9pm is late enough for me! "

No, usually 8-10 is the norm for bedtimes around this age. Is he having late naps or maybe his food intake changed. He could be hungry. So many reasons...

17th Apr '13
Quoting Mirror Seeing:" No, usually 8-10 is the norm for bedtimes around this age. Is he having late naps or maybe his food intake changed. He could be hungry. So many reasons..."

really? I just know so many mom's that have their babies going to bed at like 7-8pm.

He is eating more table foods, and he just started taking a regular 5:30-7:30 nap along with his 1-3pm naps.

17th Apr '13
Quoting S ♥ J ♥ L:" really? I just know so many mom's that have their babies going to bed at like 7-8pm. He is eating more table foods, and he just started taking a regular 5:30-7:30 nap along with his 1-3pm naps. "

Yea, that's a good time also. The older M got, the less naps he would take. Right now we are just at 2, maybe one if we're busy, but they're both at least 2 hours long. The later one sometimes goes on to 4 hours and if this happens, M doesn't go to bed right away. He stays up later and the later he stays up, the harder the nights are. He sleeps way less and a lot lighter if he goes to bed after 10.

17th Apr '13
Quoting Mirror Seeing:" Yea, that's a good time also. The older M got, the less naps he would take. Right now we are just at ... [snip!] ... up later and the later he stays up, the harder the nights are. He sleeps way less and a lot lighter if he goes to bed after 10."

yea I've noticed his naps are getting shorter and shorter. It use to be 1-4/4:30, and now I'm lucky if he will sleep from 1-3.