18 month old refuses to sleep/go to bed Yoly Poly 1 child; Tampa, Florida 561 posts
22nd Apr '13

My baby is 18 month old this week and has made a 180 on his sleep routine for the past 2 weeks. Ever since 3 months old, I've had him on a bedtime routine. Bath, milk/rock, crib. Of course, as he's gotten older, it's changed a bit. Before he gotten out of his routine, we would have dinner, bathe- there would be light playing aswell, put on pjs and lotion, give him his nighttime bottle and I would put him in his crib and he would fall asleep once he's done with his bottle. He would not fight his bedtime nor his naptimes. There has not been any immediate changes that would have him break out of his bedtime routine. At daycare, he takes his naptime just fine according to provider. He fights his naptimes at home aswell. And he usually takes 1-3 hour nap during the day, but since he's breaking out of his routine at night and has restless nights, he sometimes would take 2 naps (like the 2nd one would be on a car ride).

Dad and I are full time working parents. Dad did start a full time job 1 month ago, but I belive that wouldn't have changed our LO since baby didn't stay home w/ dad even though he only had a parttime job before. Baby still went to daycare since dad had things/errands to do during the day, and I had a fulltime job for 10 months now. We are both extremely exhausted since baby refuses to sleep at a decent time AND not sleep in his crib. I tried leting him CIO, but he would cry for hours if you'd let him and just letting him CIO would keep us up all night aswell. We tried rocking him until he's a bit sleepy and put him in his crib, and he would wake up the moment we put him down. The only way we've been getting some sleep is by bringing baby to bed w/ us, letting him fall asleep then taking him into his room. He would still wake up and cry in the middle of the night (before he would rarely do that) and the only way for him to go back to sleep is to sleep inbetween us. I don't want to make it a habit where he wants to sleep with us, eventhough we've failed by letting him get used it to it the past 2 weeks.. we're sooo tired that we'll do anything for a bit of sleep. I sleep even less with baby near me cuz he only likes to sleep nestled RIGHT NEXT TO ME and I feel his every movement and sounds.

I honestly feel like he's back to his newborn days. I don't know what to do anymore. Anyone have a LO that's going or went through this same stage and how did you overcome it? Or any advise on what we could do to get him back on track?

C'sMom! 1 child; Minnesota 1263 posts
22nd Apr '13

Is there any way to shorten any daytime naps or would it make it worse? I think some kids lose the need for a as much nap time during the day at earlier ages.

Yoly Poly 1 child; Tampa, Florida 561 posts
22nd Apr '13

Since daycare is on a strict schedule, all babies/kids take a nap from 12-1pm, so he only sleeps 1 hour or less at daycare. And at home on the weekends, sometimes he'll take broken naps (like sleep here and there. Car rides, knock out while holding him). And as much as we can try waking him, he'll sleep through anything when he's exhausted. I just wished he did that at night.

22nd Apr '13
Quoting Yoly Poly:" Since daycare is on a strict schedule, all babies/kids take a nap from 12-1pm, so he only sleeps 1 hour ... [snip!] ... And as much as we can try waking him, he'll sleep through anything when he's exhausted. I just wished he did that at night."

I had the same problem when my daughter was little with having to do the naps at daycare. I ended up trying to lay down with her until she fell asleep, she was out of the crib at his age. Is he ready for a toddler bed or anything other than a crib? Is he napping on a cot or crib at daycare?

Yoly Poly 1 child; Tampa, Florida 561 posts
22nd Apr '13

I'm not sure if he's ready to be honest. I don't know the "signs". I do know when he was in his crib, he never attempted to jump out. In daycare, she tries to cot train him, but he thinks it's a game and he gets up and wanders around. So actual naps are in a crib/play pen.

22nd Apr '13
Quoting Yoly Poly:" I'm not sure if he's ready to be honest. I don't know the "signs". I do know when he was in his crib, ... [snip!] ... she tries to cot train him, but he thinks it's a game and he gets up and wanders around. So actual naps are in a crib/play pen."

I know at that age it was cots for my daughter at daycare. She had been launching herself out of the crib at home like a gymnast and I got worried that she would get hurt. Which is why she went into a bed.
She wanted to wander around too, but I put a baby gate in front of her bedroom door, which she didn't like but that helped too.
But I ended up laying by her and rubbing her back and singing to her for quite awhile and she eventually caught on.
Even though she's 11 now, I will sometimes wake up with her in my bed. I am assuming she had a bad dream and crawled in. It only happens a couple of times a year and she doesn't wake me.
Good luck. It is so hard to not get sleep.

TrixieGirl Due July 4; 1 child; Maryland 1175 posts
23rd Apr '13

We just went through this 4 weeks ago with my 17m/o. He was STTN regurlarly and suddnely starting waking up A LOT 3-4times a night...being pregnant and a fulltime working mom I did the easiest thing which was brought him to bed with me and went back to sleep.....and then the habit started and he was doing this every night and every night he was in bed with us. The problem is, he kicks me all night and keeps me awake which wakes up the baby so the movement in my stomach keeps me up. We tried feber method (less agressive CIO) in the crib and he would just dive out head first and I started panicking that he was really going to hurt himself. So we had no choice but to set up the toddler bed. So now when he wakes up, I take him and put him back in his bed and pat his back until he is asleep. At first he was waking up 3-4 times and crying really hard over it, but after a good week the wake ups were less and less. After a few days he would wake up, I would come to him and instead of putting his arms up to be held, he would walkt to his bed and get back in to have his back rubbed. and then a few days longer he started STTN again in his toddler bed. It sucks not getting the sleep you need, believe me I can attest to that but in the long run he is doing so much better so it has been worth it.