28 weeks premature labor... E☮M♥M♫A 18 kids; Cleveland, Tennessee 2642 posts
22nd Apr '13

Hoping this is the best/right place to post this..

My SIL is on her way to l&d to get checked out because she is 28 weeks and had 3 contractions in 15 mins while she was at work, and had two more when she got home.

Anyway, if you've been through this, any advice, tips, etc I can give her??? She and my mom are keeping me updated but they haven't made it to the doc yet. She said the baby is still kicking, but not as much as usual. They just got back home yesterday from surprising us at my surprise baby shower this weekend, and they drove about 8 hours here on Saturday and turned around and drove 8 hours back yesterday. Could that have caused it? :( I'm hoping everything will be okay, I've never gone through this, so idk what to really tell her.....:(

user banned 21 kids; North Dakota 3800 posts
22nd Apr '13

There's not really anything you can tell her except that you're thinking of her and the baby and hoping/praying for the best. My first son was 27 weeks, you'd never know it today...and don't try to blame the trip...it would have happened regardless, no point in worrying yourself over "what ifs".

Taryn - Anya's mommy 2 kids; 1 angel baby; Toronto, Ontario 49446 posts
22nd Apr '13

Well she is doing the right thing by heading to L&D, and unfortunately, the long drive both ways could have stressed her out, and caused the contractions. She will most likely be fine, and be able to stay pregnant. They will monitor her and if she is having contractions on a regular basis, they can stop the labor.

Just tell her you are there for her, that you wish you could be holding her hand right now.

Summerfrost 51 kids; Massachusetts 5748 posts
22nd Apr '13

The good news is that at 28 weeks, most of the real scary stuff is behind her. The baby would still be in the hospital until her due date (give or take a week or 2 depending on how the baby does), but the long term effects of being premature are pretty minor normally.

What they'll do is monitor her for contractions, give her fluid (dehydration is the #1 cause of pre term contractions) and see if she's dilating. They might do a test called a Ffn. It's a swab. If the test is positive, it means she has about a 50% chance of delivering in the next week. If it's negative, it practically guarantees that she won't go into labor in those 2 weeks. The negative result is by far more reliable and good news.

If she's contracting. they'll give her a few meds to stop it. Possibly magnesium sulphate if she's contractions heavily and dilating. Normally though, they start with the pills.

If she is dilating/contracting, they will most likely give her a set of steroid shots. It's 2 shots given 24 hours apart. It speeds up the development of the baby (brain, intestines,etc) by about 2 weeks.

If she's only contracting a little and not dilating, she might get to get out today, but they'll want her to take it easy. If she's dilating or anything else is going on, they might keep her at the hospital until she's 32-34 weeks or until delivery.

E☮M♥M♫A 18 kids; Cleveland, Tennessee 2642 posts
22nd Apr '13

Thanks ladies :) And I wasn't blaming the trip, I was just wondering if a long trip could cause it. Idk if they stopped to stretch and stuff either. But I have been talking to her and keeping things positive. She was telling me that her braxton hicks contractions hurt and she was a little worried sat night/yesterday cause the baby hasn't been as active. She said that yesterday and today baby has been more active but still not like normal.

22nd Apr '13

Just wanted to say thanks again ladies! Doc checked her out and said everything was in tact, no contractions while she was there..I haven't gotten any other info other than they told her to get some rest and take Tylenol PM and benadryl...anyone know why she would need to take those? I thought that was odd...

22nd Apr '13
Quoting E☮M♥M♫A:" Just wanted to say thanks again ladies! Doc checked her out and said everything was in tact, no contractions ... [snip!] ... her to get some rest and take Tylenol PM and benadryl...anyone know why she would need to take those? I thought that was odd..."

benadryl is to help you sleep, but it can also calm you too, the PM in Tylenol PM is benadryl

Karlee♥Kaleb 2 kids; Pennsylvania 2134 posts
22nd Apr '13
Quoting E☮M♥M♫A:" Hoping this is the best/right place to post this.. My SIL is on her way to l&d to get checked out because ... [snip!] ... that have caused it? :( I'm hoping everything will be okay, I've never gone through this, so idk what to really tell her.....:("

Im not sure if this matters but I get contractions all the time very constant and 5 min apart. but im on medication to prevent labor and shortening of cervix. really alot of women go through it and the drs are pros at helping to prevent and stop labor if thats her case. I went into preterm labor with my son at 30 weeks and they stopped it + put me on meds. good luck hon! and there are many factors alot of people take trips and it doesnt cause labor.

22nd Apr '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Taryn - Anya's mommy:</b>" benadryl is to help you sleep, but it can also calm you too, the PM in Tylenol PM is benadryl"</blockquote>

So why would they want her to take both if the Tylenol PM has benadryl?

22nd Apr '13
Quoting E☮M♥M♫A:" <blockquote><b>Quoting Taryn - Anya's mommy:</b>" benadryl is to help you sleep, but ... [snip!] ... the PM in Tylenol PM is benadryl"</blockquote> So why would they want her to take both if the Tylenol PM has benadryl?"

that part confuses me a little

Summerfrost 51 kids; Massachusetts 5748 posts
22nd Apr '13
Quoting E☮M♥M♫A:" <blockquote><b>Quoting Taryn - Anya's mommy:</b>" benadryl is to help you sleep, but ... [snip!] ... the PM in Tylenol PM is benadryl"</blockquote> So why would they want her to take both if the Tylenol PM has benadryl?"

I'm not sure, but if one makes her fall asleep, she probably won't need the other. They use benedryl all of the time to help with sleeping during pregnancy. Maybe she hasn't been sleeping much lately?

22nd Apr '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Kristin♥Kaleb:</b>" Im not sure if this matters but I get contractions all the time very constant and 5 min apart. but im ... [snip!] ... stopped it + put me on meds. good luck hon! and there are many factors alot of people take trips and it doesnt cause labor."</blockquote>

Thanks! Doc said everything was fine, I haven't gotten many details, but from what I gathered she wasn't having any contractions. I'm thinking she had a cluster of braxton hicks or maybe the baby balled up in one spot and she mistook it for a contraction? Cause I know that my LO will ball herself up on one side and it is like hard as a rock, lol. This is her first pregnancy so it's probably harder for her to distinguish the two.

22nd Apr '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Summerfrost:</b>" I'm not sure, but if one makes her fall asleep, she probably won't need the other. They use benedryl ... [snip!] ... other. They use benedryl all of the time to help with sleeping during pregnancy. Maybe she hasn't been sleeping much lately? "</blockquote>

I'm not sure..I'll ask her though. She didn't get much sleep when they took the trip up here, so maybe that combined with a trip that would be exhausting even when you're not pregnant did her in. They were up really early to make the drive and idk what time they went to bed the night before. Then everyone stayed at my place and we were all up until close to midnight at least and DS woke everyone up at like 7 or 8. Then they left at 1 something and got home around 10..again, dunno what time they went to sleep. Then she had work this morning, so maybe it was cause her body was so tired?

Anyway, just glad she and baby are okay! Hopefully she keeps her in there until her dd or at least close to it!!