38 weeks and 2 cm dilated and 50% effaced..... mommi2b18 Due May 1 (girl); Wilmer, Alabama 23 posts
22nd Apr '13

I am 38 weeks and 4 days pregnant with my first child. At my last appointment last Thursday my doctor told me I was 2 Cm dilated and 50% Effaced. He said I made a major change in less than a week because at my 37 weeks appointment he said I was not dilating or thinning out at all. Well, now for the past 3 days all I have been wanting to do is lay down and rest. I get tired so easily and yesterday I noticed that my tummy looked WAY SMALLER. So I think that she has dropped all the way now because I am feeling major pressure and sharp vaginal pains through out the day. I can only eat a little bit at a time because if I try to eat a full meal I will get so sick. When I go to the bathroom it hurts when I have to pee. It takes a long time before I can use the bathroom, I think it it because of all the pressure on my bladder. Any thoughts on what is going on from any of ya'lls experiences.????

Buffy♥ 2 kids; Japan 3741 posts
22nd Apr '13

Sounds like you are probably about to have a baby :) But, remember you can still go past your due date. It just sounds similar to when I went into labor. Walk walk walk!

Summerfrost 51 kids; Massachusetts 6573 posts
22nd Apr '13

Sounds pretty typical for 38 weeks pregnant. :D I got super lucky last pregnancy and started feeling that way around 30 weeks. It was also my 4th baby. He didn't show up though until they dragged him out. People can make all sorts of guesses about when baby's going to be born, but in my experience, they have minds of their own. :) You could make no progress and then BOOM be in labor one day and have the kid in a couple of hours, or end up lucky like me and dilate 2 to 3 cm's around 34 weeks and then stay pregnant until they make you unpregnant. :D

MommyToBoys 4 kids; 1 angel baby; North Dakota 3802 posts
22nd Apr '13

dont let dilation and effacement get your hopes up!
I was 100% effaced and 4 cm dilated with my second son for 2 weeks. haha it sucked.
Right now I am also 38 weeks and 3 cm dilated and 80% effaced.
I ope it will be soon for both of us, I am experiencing the same symptoms as you :)

mommi2b18 Due May 1 (girl); Wilmer, Alabama 23 posts
22nd Apr '13
Quoting MommyToBoys:" dont let dilation and effacement get your hopes up! I was 100% effaced and 4 cm dilated with my second ... [snip!] ... 38 weeks and 3 cm dilated and 80% effaced. I ope it will be soon for both of us, I am experiencing the same symptoms as you :)"

If anyone is getting my hopes up, it is my doctor. Lol. He is the one who got super excited when he realized I had dilated and thinned out that fast. I am also 18 yrs old. So he considers he high risk even though I have had a perfectly normal pregnancy. He even thinks that the full moon on the 25th of April will help a lot.

MommyToBoys 4 kids; 1 angel baby; North Dakota 3802 posts
22nd Apr '13
Quoting Caroline Nevels:" If anyone is getting my hopes up, it is my doctor. Lol. He is the one who got super excited when ... [snip!] ... even though I have had a perfectly normal pregnancy. He even thinks that the full moon on the 25th of April will help a lot."

well hopefully the moon will help for both of us.
I had my doctor tell me "any day now" for weeks, so I stopped listening to him. LOL

22nd Apr '13
Quoting MommyToBoys:" well hopefully the moon will help for both of us. I had my doctor tell me "any day now" for weeks, so I stopped listening to him. LOL"

My doctor started telling me any day now last weeks. But it will happen when it happens. But the doctor wont let me go past May 9th. I hope she will come on her own because I really don't want to be induced because I have heard that induced labor pains are worse than normal. And I am going natural. And I hope this goes by fast for you to.

Summerfrost 51 kids; Massachusetts 6573 posts
22nd Apr '13

I think most OB's try to take pity on us hugely uncomfortable pregnant women at the end and tell us what we like to hear too. :D I'm high risk because of pre-term labor issues (yes i know very ironic). At 35 weeks, my dr said 'Any time now!' At my 38-39 week appointment when things hadn't changed in about a month (completely thinned out 2 to 3 cm dilated), she got ready to say 'Any time now!' and I told her I'd see her next week at the hospital for my induction. I was right. :)

It ended up working out though because he ended up being not quite as far along as we thought and had to spend a few days in the NICU. Induction isn't so bad. Labor isn't comfortable no matter how you do it. I personally never noticed a huge difference between normal and induced labor.

Cry Baby 1 child; ........, .., United States 12573 posts
status 22nd Apr '13

Sounds like your body is getting ready for baby :) I got checked when I went to l&d for what I thought were contractions a week ago and it was small contractions but nothing to be worried about. They said my cervix was super soft and getting ready to thin...not sure that's a good thing at this point! But I'm hoping to make it to at least 37 weeks!

22nd Apr '13
Quoting Jillian'sMommy:" Sounds like your body is getting ready for baby :) I got checked when I went to l&d for what I thought ... [snip!] ... soft and getting ready to thin...not sure that's a good thing at this point! But I'm hoping to make it to at least 37 weeks!"

Wow. How far along are you? I hope you are able to make it to full term. I honestly didn't think I would make it this far because of all the stress I have been through this pregnancy.

((-We Did It!-)) 1 child; 1 angel baby; Iowa 659 posts
22nd Apr '13

I'm somewhat jealous!

I'm 38 weeks and 3 days... went to the doctor & have a whole lot of nothing going on. :)
He scheduled a date for an induction already for May 12th. This is the first time I've felt antsy and ready to have my baby. Good luck ladies!! :)

MonMon2+1 Due April 24 (girl); 34 kids; Oak Creek, Wisconsin 3391 posts
22nd Apr '13

Same thing with me and I'm due in 3 days. I'm stuck at 3.5cm now for 3wks. Could be abyt

Mama yessy 18 kids; Oceanside, California 157 posts
22nd Apr '13

At my 39 weeks check up I was 2 cm 50 effacted for like 2 weeks , and right after my appointment I went for a straight 45 min walk up & down hill & the next morning Wokeup having contractions at 8:30am & had my son at 5:15pm . Who's now 3 days old !(:

Cry Baby 1 child; ........, .., United States 12573 posts
status 22nd Apr '13
Quoting mommi2b18:" Wow. How far along are you? I hope you are able to make it to full term. I honestly didn't think I would make it this far because of all the stress I have been through this pregnancy. "

I'll be 33 weeks this Wednesday! I'm nervous that I won't make it full term, I hope I do, but I doubt I will. I just want to make it to a point where she can come and be healthy enough to come home with us. I hope you make it full term!