2 year old potty issue? Prestige Worldwide! TTC since May 2014; 2 kids; Virginia 645 posts
23rd Apr '13

My 2 year old (3 in August) is fully potty trained except for bedtime. He has been pottying like a big boy since December. I still put a diaper on him at night because he still has to have a sippy of milk before he can fall asleep. My question is how do I break him from the sippy and drop the diaper all at the same time? Do I just let him cry it out for the sippy? How did you guys do it? He is still in a crib so he would have to holler at me if he had to pee which is fine because I still have his baby monitor in his room hooked up. Do I just stop it all at once, or slowly drop the sippy then diaper? I have been putting less milk every night trying to ween him but he HAS to take it to bed with him. Should I just agree to let him with only a few drinks in it?! HELP I am so stressed out over this. I am starting the potty training with my 21 month old within the next few weeks, he is acting like he is ready.

Kelly&Coralie 1 child; Rochester, NY, United States 56009 posts
23rd Apr '13

Cora is 5 and still goes to bed with a drink. She gets up when she has to pee.

I would just let him have it but get him into a big kid bed so he can go before he has an accident

Naturally Alternative 2 kids; 2 angel babies; Lafayette, Louisiana 6294 posts
23rd Apr '13
Quoting Kelly&Coralie:" Cora is 5 and still goes to bed with a drink. She gets up when she has to pee. I would just let him have it but get him into a big kid bed so he can go before he has an accident"

My dd is 3.5 and still goes to bed with a drink. I only give her water at night though, nothing else ever. She hasn't peed at night yet (I do still put a diaper on her though 'cause I'm paranoid haha).

Prestige Worldwide! TTC since May 2014; 2 kids; Virginia 645 posts
23rd Apr '13
Quoting Naturally Alternative~26w:" My dd is 3.5 and still goes to bed with a drink. I only give her water at night though, nothing else ... [snip!] ... night though, nothing else ever. She hasn't peed at night yet (I do still put a diaper on her though 'cause I'm paranoid haha)."

see he does pee at night. I don't really know what to do. I don't want to change everything at once. I am trying to do it one thing at a time so it doesn't stress him out. I also don't know if I feel comfortable putting him in a big boy bed yet because his crib is HUGE and he still has tons of room , plus i don't want him wandering around at night or whenever lol. Plus once he hits a big boy bed, the naps are OVER. Maybe I just need to face the facts and convert his crib into the day bed :(

Kelly&Coralie 1 child; Rochester, NY, United States 56009 posts
23rd Apr '13
Quoting Prestige Worldwide!:" see he does pee at night. I don't really know what to do. I don't want to change everything at once. ... [snip!] ... once he hits a big boy bed, the naps are OVER. Maybe I just need to face the facts and convert his crib into the day bed :("

If he is peeing at night, then he isn't ready to be night trained. Or he is just like my daughter who would pee if she was in a diaper. She never peed when I took the diaper away

I'd put him in a big boy bed. Worse comes to worst, you can change it back easily.

j0des(+2) 18 kids; Virginia 5095 posts
23rd Apr '13

I started only giving water to my oldest at 22 months..

The night time potty issue is hit and miss..sometimes he is dry..sometimes he gets up to pee(and gets upset about it), sometimes he has an accident.. I put him in training pants in case..once he is fully dry a week straight, I'll stop the training pants. He is 3.5. My niece is 4, and still has accidents at night.

Lisa Lyon Due December 3 (boy); 3 kids; Nashville, Tennessee 455 posts
23rd Apr '13

For my DD it was more the cup then the milk. Put water in it instead. Slowly work the cup away. Eventually send him with an empty cup. If hes still peeing at night keep him in a pull up til hes dry thru the night.

ℐαzmчn 2 kids; Somerset, Kentucky 12712 posts
23rd Apr '13

We stopped the milk before bed at around 18 mo and started giving her water. DD is also fully potty trained and we just now started working on nights. She goes to bed with her water (she drinks only a little of it but we leave it with her just in case) and we'd put a pull up on before. We noticed for like 2 weeks straight they were dry in the morning so we just explained that she didn't need pull ups anymore and that she has to use the potty before bed and go right when she wakes up. So far no accidents. *knock on wood*

TheNuge 1 child; Pennsylvania 23130 posts
status 23rd Apr '13
Quoting Prestige Worldwide!:" My 2 year old (3 in August) is fully potty trained except for bedtime. He has been pottying like a big ... [snip!] ... out over this. I am starting the potty training with my 21 month old within the next few weeks, he is acting like he is ready."

I'd make the milk watery and have a goal of 1 ounce of water in a cup each night. no sippy, no milk.
BUT, my LO is almost 4 1/2 and she gets up to pee almost each night. she doesn't get much to drink before bed, she just likes to "check on us" and use our potty each night.

Prestige Worldwide! TTC since May 2014; 2 kids; Virginia 645 posts
23rd Apr '13

Thanks Ladies, I guess I am gonna break down and convert his crib this week :*( This makes me soooo sad! I put him down with about two ounces of milk ( he flipped with water) and he has done well ( still in a diaper because I don't have his baby pad thing washed up)