2 year old fell face first out of stroller Sailoryue 1 child; Colorado Springs, Colorado 2 posts
24th Apr '13

my duaghter just had her first major spill as a toddler. shes had many of them as an infant sure, but this time the stroller toppled over and she fell face first into the pavement... she only suffered a minor nosebleed and tears, but other than a bit of swelling on her forehead/bridge of nose she's fine. i didnt take her to the emergency room cuz that would have been expensive with our current medical insurance.

i knew the rules about head injuries: do not let the injured one fall asleep, so i gave her my ipod with the POny game on it to keep her occupied.

my question is, can 2 year olds have broken noses? or is the swelling ok? shold i still take her to the doctors about it?

James & John's Mommy 3 kids; 1 angel baby; Overton, Texas 3247 posts
24th Apr '13

if her nose is still swollen after the rest goes down id take her in...

tinana+2 TTC since Nov 2013; 2 kids; Staten Island, NY, United States 29537 posts
24th Apr '13

Of course 2 year olds can have broken noses. Did you give her motrin? Motrin can help bring down the swelling but may also increase bleeding. Ice may also help with the swelling. If she's really swollen I'd probably call her pedi and ask if they want to see her. Better safe than sorry.

Also, I'd never let expenses be a reason not to have my child be seen- if they need to be seen, they need to be seen.

A is Me 1 child; South Carolina 3782 posts
24th Apr '13

No they can't break their noses. It's just soft cartilage at that age. Just make sure to clean her scrapes and put neosporin on them.

Colt's mommy 1 child; Moore, Oklahoma 21324 posts
24th Apr '13

If it were me, I would wait till tomorrow to see if the swelling goes down. If she ends up with black eye's in the morning than I would call the pedi. There's more cartilage than bone at that age so I highly doubt anythings broken.

Angela Nichols 2 kids; California 464 posts
24th Apr '13

yes she could have a broken nose. I would call the pedi

mama1821 Due July 2 (girl); 2 kids; Tacoma, Washington 1265 posts
24th Apr '13

why dont you call her pediatrician and see what they say. if you have to spend the money to take her in to be seen.

Gone 17 kids; Miami, FL, United States 15414 posts
24th Apr '13

Of course they can have broken noses. If she's playing with the game just fine though, she probably doesn't.

James & John's Mommy 3 kids; 1 angel baby; Overton, Texas 3247 posts
24th Apr '13

six year old:
BSI-3168308.jpgadult:human_skull_side.jpg
their bones heal quicker then ours and are more pliable then ours so if its possible she broke her nose or it may not have been broken but the nose isn't "mostly cartilage at that age" its just as ours just their bones are still more pliable

A is Me 1 child; South Carolina 3782 posts
24th Apr '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Anna. Mommy of two boys:</b>" their bones heal quicker then ours and are more pliable then ours so if its possible she broke her nose ... [snip!] ... not have been broken but the nose isn't "mostly cartilage at that age" its just as ours just their bones are still more pliable"</blockquote>

I'm sorry, I was giving OP misinformation.

I'd always thought wrongly cause when I was 3, I whacked my nose hard and good on a table....Black eyes and all. My mom told me that had I been older, my nose would have surely broken, but the doc told her that my nose being mostly cartilage at that age ensured it couldn't be broken. I dunno if he was wrong or my mom heard him wrong.....

OP, if she's not bruising or still in pain, I wouldn't take her in but I'd be sure to clean and treat her scrapes. That's just my opinion and I obviously can't tell how much pain she is in...

Sailoryue 1 child; Colorado Springs, Colorado 2 posts
24th Apr '13

she "complains"[wince not wimper] if i apply direct pressure to the "bruise" but otherwise she's playing with her toys and watching tv just fine. the nose bleed only lasted 2 minutes, it stopped pretty quickly. the doctor said so long as she's not sluggish not to worry too much.

~Nanin~ Due November 19; 1 child; 2 angel babies; KILLEEN, TX, United States 945 posts
24th Apr '13

My daughter has done this too, as long as it doesnt stay swollen i think she will be fine :)