3 yr old shoots himself in head..... eKnuckles Due February 13; Florida 3472 posts
25th Apr '13

.....and lives.

"His aunt told police she had to use the bathroom, so she removed her .380 handgun and placed it on the countertop. She apparently forgot about the firearm when her son began to act up and exited the bathroom.

The 3-year-old's older sister then entered to draw a bath for him, according to WSMV-TV. While she was filling the tub, the toddler grabbed the gun and shot himself in the head.

His sister told investigators she saw her little brother play with the firearm, but thought it was one of his toy guns.

Detectives say the bullet passed through the child's skull and exited.
The boy was airlifted to Vanderbilt University Medical Center, where doctors are calling him "the luckiest kid on earth" and say he is expected to survive.

The toddler was "conscious and fighting with nurses" on Saturday, lead investigator for the Manchester Police Dept. Billy Butler told the Manchester Times."

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1284466

Do you think when things like this happen, it is due to an irresponsible adult, or things just happen?
If you own a gun how do you protect your children from getting to it?

user banned Due October 22 (boy); 17 kids; Dildo, 4998 posts
25th Apr '13

The gun should have been out of reach of the child with the safety on.

This is why we can't have nice things!

MommyToWesley 1 child; Delaware 3847 posts
25th Apr '13

That is absolutely the adult's fault. 100%.

We have guns locked in a cabinet upstairs in a "man's room", and then lock the door to the room as well. I also don't let my son out of my sight, unless he's contained somewhere.

Leah+2 2 kids; Texas 5797 posts
25th Apr '13

We keep our guns locked and unloaded when stored. The ammo is almost even out of my reach.

user banned 4 kids; Mueang Phuket, Thailand 30487 posts
25th Apr '13

That happene because if irresponsibility. Plain and simple. Lucky boy that's for sure! But things do just happen, but a child getting a gun is preventable

FarminMomma Due January 31; 1 child; Huntington, West Virginia 672 posts
25th Apr '13

All of our rifles and shotguns stay in a locked cabinet and dhs concealed goes on a shelf 6 feet over the bed whenever he takes it off.our daughter knows that they are not toys and has never touched them.

MNM33333333333333 Columbia, South Carolina 1782 posts
25th Apr '13

When a child falls or gets a cut it's an accident. Shoots themselves in head...ADULTS FAULT and total neglect.

lolajessup 3 kids; 1 angel baby; Beaverton, Michigan 44071 posts
25th Apr '13

That's highly irresponsible to leave a gun out. And if they have open firearms often they Should be teaching him about Gun safety and not playing with them.

My mom had a child in her prek class who's dad was a cop and his dad told her he was NOT allowed to play guns. He was teachig him gun safety and didnt even want him pretending to shoot anyone or play with one. He taught him guns are a deadly weapon and only trained adults can have them. I think THAT is responsible.

My SO has One hunting gun and its at a friends house in a gun cabinet. I will never have one in my home and my dd knows never to touch one.

James & John's Mommy 3 kids; 1 angel baby; Overton, Texas 3248 posts
25th Apr '13
Quoting Mama Milk Machine!:" The gun should have been out of reach of the child with the safety on. This is why we can't have nice things!"

be conscious if u have kids around u! i hope she gets charged with something! a fire arm is something u just CAN'T neglect to remember!!

user banned 1 child; Portland, Maine 20613 posts
25th Apr '13

That is absolutely the adult's fault in this case. If you aren't going to have the gun locked away somewhere when you aren't using it then at the very least unload it, put the safety on, and put it up high enough so your kid can't get it. That's horrible and that kid is seriously lucky to be alive.

Gina♥ Due October 28 (boy); 3 kids; Oklahoma 3037 posts
25th Apr '13

100% the adults fault. I'm glad the little boy lived. But the adult should be charged with something.

BakingBean2 2 kids; Ohio 2247 posts
25th Apr '13

Irresponsible adult. Our guns are in our closet top shelf with a lock on the case and a trigger lock and the closet is locked. Our oldest is only 16 mos but gun safety will be taught early, so they know exactly how dangerous guns can be and how to properly handle one.

☆º×ß¡±©µ×º☆ 4 kids; 1 angel baby; Centralia, Washington 45784 posts
status 25th Apr '13

it is 10000% the mothers fault for leaving the fire aem in her childs reach there is a police officer in my state going through the same thing only his seven year old is dead because his three-year-old got a hold of his firearm these parents should be charged by the fullest extent of the law

BRowell 3 kids; 2 angel babies; Bristol, TN, United States 3726 posts
25th Apr '13

IMO that's an irresponsible adult 100%.

I'm glad the boy is ok.

We keep our gun up high where the kids can't reach it, nor do they even know where it is, in a locked safe. Also, DD knows to never mess with a gun.

ETA we keep our gun unloaded too and the bullets in a separate place.

☆º×ß¡±©µ×º☆ 4 kids; 1 angel baby; Centralia, Washington 45784 posts
status 25th Apr '13

it is 10000% the mothers fault for leaving the fire aem in her childs reach there is a police officer in my state going through the same thing only his seven year old is dead because his three-year-old got a hold of his firearm these parents should be charged by the fullest extent of the law